ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

This time next year...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by Straight4ward »

dvbuk55 wrote:I'll be sitting in my chair drooling down my geriatric chin whilst my dog fetches me a newspaper :chuckle
So no change then. :wink:
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by Straight4ward »

Where will we be ? - - - - - - Up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Following Parcelforce being absorbed (RM’s favourite word) into our operation, fitness testing of posties will require us to carry a 200kg upright fridge/freezer standing 2 metres tall up 40 flights of stairs within 4 minutes.
Billy and Dave will point out that 4 minutes, is in fact, a whopping whole 240 seconds which is a much bigger number than 4 and therefore sounds much more achievable to them.


The BBC will broadcast a program in which a commando is subjected to this test and fails abjectly, concluding in his own words “f*ck that, for a game of soldiers” (and who would know better about soldiering than him).

However, the CWU will readily accept this proposal as it mean more full time jobs (in A&E units and defibrillator manufacturing).
They will also suggest that if we don’t do it someone else will. They warn us that TNT/Whistl have employed a troupe of circus strongmen on zero hour contracts on the minimum wage who will piss all over us if we didn’t accept these new targets. They will also claim this a victory “that stops the race to the bottom” and protects full-time jobs.

Yes, 2015 will be a wonderful year for us all. :thumbup
Last edited by Straight4ward on 24 Dec 2014, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: This time next year...

Post by clashcityrocker »

Straight4ward wrote:

The BBC will broadcast a program in which a commando is subjected to this test and fails abjectly, concluding in his own words “f*ck that, for a game of soldiers” (and who would know better about soldering than him).
A plumber?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by Straight4ward »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Straight4ward wrote:

The BBC will broadcast a program in which a commando is subjected to this test and fails abjectly, concluding in his own words “f*ck that, for a game of soldiers” (and who would know better about soldering than him).
A plumber?
Thank you friend,- - - - - duly amended.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: This time next year...

Post by trythat »

I'm not sure the CWU can get any more like Royal mail, to me they seem just like RM's little brother.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by daveyeff »

dvbuk55 wrote:I'll be sitting in my chair drooling down my geriatric chin whilst my dog fetches me a newspaper :chuckle
happy retirement you lucky LUCKY barstool. :Very Happy
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by daveyeff »

eeeeee,,,, am wishing me years away I am. :Very Happy
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by dvbuk55 »

daveyeff wrote:eeeeee,,,, am wishing me years away I am. :Very Happy
Thanks Davey but you don't want to be wishing your time away my friend, it goes all too quickly. My advice is give plenty of thought about retiring before you reach that stage. I hadn't given it a thought until I got a letter from the DWP asking me what I wanted to do with my Old Age Pension :shock: I didn't think I was that old but I was 65, it was then I decided to drop hours and days until my leisure time was much greater than my work time, it took a little over 3 years but I'm comfortable in the realisation that I have now retired. :Very Happy
Puppetmaster
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 19:56
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by Puppetmaster »

DB1100 wrote:I would like to see Royal mail successfully sued for the damage it has done to our bodies with Park and loop,obviously not all offices have had crazy revisions (London) but from what I hear and talking to other postal workers when I go on courses it seems a lot have.
You are quite right ,but whilst the CWU agrees to it nothing can be done .!
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

pants123 wrote:The health amd safety should be called in now..... making walks 5-6 hours every day is killing people... its got to be illigal what royal mail are doing to the workers...

Urgent action is needed... posties have been broken...

Start on time, take your breaks, do your van checks, use your trollies, don't look at your bundles while walking, close every gate, drive to a toilet when you need it, finish on time by arrangement or cut-off; and you won't be walking for 5-6 hours a day, I guarantee you that.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: This time next year...

Post by clashcityrocker »

BarnsleyLackey wrote: Start on time, take your breaks, do your van checks, use your trollies, don't look at your bundles while walking, close every gate, drive to a toilet when you need it, finish on time by arrangement or cut-off; and you won't be walking for 5-6 hours a day, I guarantee you that.
This is nonsense.
If the duty span has been set at 5-6 hours then people will be walking for 5-6 hours.
If it hasn't then people are walking for 5-6 hours by choice.
It has sod all to do with starting on time etc.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: This time next year...

Post by DB1100 »

Puppetmaster wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I would like to see Royal mail successfully sued for the damage it has done to our bodies with Park and loop,obviously not all offices have had crazy revisions (London) but from what I hear and talking to other postal workers when I go on courses it seems a lot have.
You are quite right ,but whilst the CWU agrees to it nothing can be done .!
Look how things have changed for the mineworkers,all those thing's they said were *wear and tear* they have been able to get compensation for i.e deafness and vibration white finger,so I should think thing's might go the same way for us for thing's like ,Knackered knee's,hip joints plantar facilitis,bunions and other injuries associated with excessive walking.
For we were soldiers once,and young
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by dvbuk55 »

DB1100 wrote:
Puppetmaster wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I would like to see Royal mail successfully sued for the damage it has done to our bodies with Park and loop,obviously not all offices have had crazy revisions (London) but from what I hear and talking to other postal workers when I go on courses it seems a lot have.
You are quite right ,but whilst the CWU agrees to it nothing can be done .!
Look how things have changed for the mineworkers,all those thing's they said were *wear and tear* they have been able to get compensation for i.e deafness and vibration white finger,so I should think thing's might go the same way for us for thing's like ,Knackered knee's,hip joints plantar facilitis,bunions and other injuries associated with excessive walking.
:hmmmm Well I think that's most unlikely. It would be extremely difficult to say whether the injury to hips, knees, ankles etc was attributable to walking as a postman or a more leisurely pursuit such as walking the dog, playing sport or some other physical pursuit and whether or not it was normal wear and tear over a long period. Miners could claim for lung disease attributable to coal dust, deafness attributable to noisy machinery and white finger for the use of pneumatic drills but walking is an everyday activity. :cuppa
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

clashcityrocker wrote:
BarnsleyLackey wrote: Start on time, take your breaks, do your van checks, use your trollies, don't look at your bundles while walking, close every gate, drive to a toilet when you need it, finish on time by arrangement or cut-off; and you won't be walking for 5-6 hours a day, I guarantee you that.
This is nonsense.
If the duty span has been set at 5-6 hours then people will be walking for 5-6 hours.
If it hasn't then people are walking for 5-6 hours by choice.
It has sod all to do with starting on time etc.

If the management plan the duties on improper working methods, like they did in our office, as soon as someone tries it working properly they can't do it in time.
As things stood before our recent time changes, we had to be back in the yard for 14:25, to make sure everything's signed off. That means getting out of the office just after 09:00 and getting on duty at 09:25. And that's only 5 hours. One of the ways many achieve this is by starting early and getting out early.

For what you say to work - setting the duty at 5-6 hours, we'd have to have a complete restructure. Instead of what management are doing now, which is trying to shove you out asap for more time outdoors.

If they use my list as a guide, then plan the duty, then I'll accept the 5-6 hour walk.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: This time next year...

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:If it hasn't then people are walking for 5-6 hours by choice.
Define choice in a working environment with little support from the union or colleagues, bullying managers, family financial pressures, fragile employment security and an external economic situation of zero hour contracts and minimum wage...and that's without the added pressure of a less than full time contract and the need to stay "on side" with management to secure enough overtime to take home a decent wage.

In my humble opinion, not a lot of choice there really... :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share