ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best way to do door2doors ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dundee
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by dundee »

joe110 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I think I will continue to it as do on the town rounds 1/6 a day but I forgot to mention I do half of Saturdays segment monday then other half Tuesday so come Saturday there done.

Some people also don't put them in the frame they put 20 on the back of the bundle then use them from there. Seems a right pain to me doing letters off the top d2d from underneath. Only thing it saves is slotting them in the frame and the pain of them getting in the way of you sorting the mail into the frame.
mate don't worry about door2door their a part of the job just like letters flats packets recordeds tracks specials if you cant manage in your time,cut off or extended delivery.mate iv been a postie along time best advice I can give you is don't stress out worrying about everyone else take your time,dont make mistakes and bobs your uncle.if your part time and need the money even better extend your delivery if that's what it takes to do the job properly.far to many guys taking short cuts not just new starts some older guys too. if theirs redundencies whats the saying?LAST IN FIRST OUT.please do your job properly to save YOUR own job.
islipaway
Posts: 14
Joined: 16 Mar 2014, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by islipaway »

I tend to put them to the back of a bundle if I can as a lot of the frames I work out of don't have all the A/B 1/2/3 flats arranged properly and it can be confusing to find you've missed a letter 3 doors back because the d2ds were counted wrong.
dundee
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by dundee »

islipaway wrote:I've only been doing this for a year but really I don't think there's one answer here. Different door to doors suit different methods and it depends how many there are, also different offices seem to arrange them differently in the frames, some vertically some following the walk.

Sometimes I'll put in them in the frame, sometimes I'll put one at the start and one at the end and put the rest in my bag and take them out one at a time The ones at the start and the end tell me when to start/stop doing them. This only really works if I only have one d2d though.

Mostly I just have to do them however whoever prepped the frame decided to put them in, which often is with mail inside them and back to front so a total pain in the arse.
Mate DOOR2DOOR are apart of your every day workload do 1/6th aday that's what your meant to do,if you do them over 2,3,4 days rm will have you lapsing the other days if you have time?TAKE YOUR BREAK,DONT START BEFORE YOUR TIME
islipaway
Posts: 14
Joined: 16 Mar 2014, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by islipaway »

Yeah I do only 1/6th a day, I think he was asking more what the most efficient method of prepping/delivering the 1/6th? There's no danger of me getting back early enough to do anything other than my own walk!
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by Jpro747 »

Don't worry about it, you don't need to figure out a quicker way of doing it. Just go by what the book says, 1/6th per day.
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by shepherdess »

feduppostie wrote:Forget about saving time!!!!

Do 20% a day exactly as they say you should FFS
Its not 20℅ it's 1 /6th
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

We've always done them Monday to Friday and stick the following day's in if we returns early enough on the odd occasion.
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by glass joe »

I pretty much have them all thrown in by Tuesday (take where i am going) . Usually get back a hour before my finishing time on Saturday so have time to throw them in, i work my days off so doesn't effect my cover.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by bustedflush »

dundee wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Door-dustbins are best got rid of early. Usually throw them all off Sat. reason being Monday is a busy day for letters and light on packets hence 80%+ are gone by the heavier days. Funnily enough on one round I went for a piss in a thicket and found a stack of leaflets dumped by the tree I was watering. Don't think they were RM ones, and wasn't going to pick one up as they were covered in yellow rain by then.
shouldn't be touching them on a Saturday that's the following weeks work,get a grip.get used to working to your time every day.most likely redundancies next couple of years,guys still not doing job properly,f***ing it up for everyone else.if you worked in Tesco,would you stack extra shelfs that you weren't meant to do?would you go on check out before your start time?would you work through your break?
So using the 30-45 minutes you finish early (usually) on a Saturday is wrong? We always get out early and it doesn't involve 'free work'...
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I walked through the door 1 minute before starting time yesterday and got back 1 hour 40 minutes before my finish albeit I had no lunchbreak so no problem putting Monday's D2D's in and still home before my finish time.

First time in a while though.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by toomuchcoke »

feduppostie wrote:Forget about saving time!!!!

Do 20% a day exactly as they say you should FFS
So that's 20% on Monday, 20% on Tuesdays ... and 20% on Saturday for a grand total of 120% then? Ignoring that the moment, what about the frames which don't have a number of columns that divides easily by 5 (or 6 depending upon whom we're listening to ATM)? Should we be throwing in just part of one row of the column that we're supposed to be throwing in that day?

e.g. The rurals I do which only have 4 columns on the frame, do I take the simple option of 1 column a day or do 80% (or 66.67%?) of a column each day to spread it out "evenly" through the week?
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

toomuchcoke wrote:
feduppostie wrote:Forget about saving time!!!!

Do 20% a day exactly as they say you should FFS
So that's 20% on Monday, 20% on Tuesdays ... and 20% on Saturday for a grand total of 120% then? Ignoring that the moment, what about the frames which don't have a number of columns that divides easily by 5 (or 6 depending upon whom we're listening to ATM)? Should we be throwing in just part of one row of the column that we're supposed to be throwing in that day?

e.g. The rurals I do which only have 4 columns on the frame, do I take the simple option of 1 column a day or do 80% (or 66.67%?) of a column each day to spread it out "evenly" through the week?
Do you really need help on how to do D2Ds? Just do what you're comfortable with. Be wary of taking too many though, as if the screws suspect they're slowing you down and causing you OT/No collapsing/Cut-off, you'll get talked to about it.

The 20% a day rule works with the idea that you get em done on Friday, making Saturday as easy as possible.
*xen*
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by *xen* »

1. Take to local woods/secluded spot.

2. Liberally douse with petrol or suitable fire accelerant.

3. (Stand well back) Whoosh!! Job done :thumbup
That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said 'goodbye'.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

*xen* wrote:1. Take to local woods/secluded spot.

2. Liberally douse with petrol or suitable fire accelerant.

3. (Stand well back) Whoosh!! Job done :thumbup


I know your having a joke but to carry on.

4. Expect a kock on the door.

5. Attend court in your best bib and tucker.

6. Get a criminal record.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=13533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=38954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =18&t=8892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All 3 involved burning leaflets/D2Ds :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

If I've got a choice I'll do a Column a day prepped before I put the mail in....They're classed as "Live" mail and the time to prep them is allocated daily...so if you're prepping them in your own time you're giving RM time/money for nothing! :arrrghhh

By doing a Column you spread the load across all your bags/bundles, if you follow the Row you end up with all the Households for a particular Road it can get pretty bulky. I prep them first so I can put the mail in front of them, I don't consolidate the Households (Put them inside each other) as in the past I've had mail stuck between them and left in the frame. I'm a bit OCD about the order I do them and like to have separate piles with smallest to largest in order, pick one of each pile and throw them in...But that's just me! :crazy:

Sometimes I'll cover a Duty and the Regular Postie's thrown them all off on Saturday (in his own time)! :shock: This I find a pain in the ass. Firstly I end up doing the Lion's share of them (taking them where I go) and secondly it can be a pain trying to throw the mail off when EVERY slot's got Households in. :sad:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)