ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RDC and christmas tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: RDC and christmas tips

Post by Judgee »

Energie_man wrote:I would never give away any tips I earn, they are given to me for the job I have done and the service I have provided throughout the year,this includes sharing with park and loop partner .
If he was as welcoming and happy towards customers as I was then I'm sure they would offer him a tip and not me.
I've earned £145 this year plus few bottles plonk and it don't be shared.

How do you know he was not? They tip you because they see you more often and are thus considered their regular postman. Does your cover guy/girl not work hard all year long too? Have they not earned a small share any tips? Would it kill you to share in the generosity that your customers have shown you? Be wary of ghosts as three might visit you at midnight tonight! :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: RDC and christmas tips

Post by chrisj »

Tips! What tips?

I rarely see any of the people I deliver to and I am a reserve for a lot of rounds in my office - so very little chance of people giving me tips personally.

However, because a lot of people are not just staring through the window waiting for their regular posties, some of them just stick the tips on the door; so what to do?

I have actually done a round for 3 weeks straight at Xmas - including Saturday coming... The walkholder decided to do something else at Xmas - he clearly was not working for the tips - and there was virtually none. Funny enough, one of his regulars actually tipped him on my second day covering for him; the customer asked him to come round but he really did not want to...

Also, I went to deliver parcels on the loop for my (walkholder's) park and loop partner and a postcard/tip was stuck on the window - took it and gave it to him; not my round or even my loop.

* I do not think there is any need to share the tips - finder's keepers but the attitude of some posties that work for tips is questionable...
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: RDC and christmas tips

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I was covering another duty Christmas Eve.....and found loads of cards stuck to the front door with "Postie" written on it.....but I just ignored them all! Like clockwork as I walked away the front door would open and someone would call the regular Postie's name. I just shouted over my shoulder, "I'm not him he'll be back on Saturday"! and walked off.

Had enough of Posties arguing over tips... I find it very petty. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: RDC and christmas tips

Post by aiden01 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I was covering another duty Christmas Eve.....and found loads of cards stuck to the front door with "Postie" written on it.....but I just ignored them all! Like clockwork as I walked away the front door would open and someone would call the regular Postie's name. I just shouted over my shoulder, "I'm not him he'll be back on Saturday"! and walked off.

Had enough of Posties arguing over tips... I find it very petty. :cuppa
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup work in mc no tips except from manager don't eff home early or you will be taken down conduct code ,that was Christmas eve, :sad: :sad: :sad:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: RDC and christmas tips

Post by krussel »

I think a lot depends on your RDC. In the past I ve shared with my RDC. However the guy I have this year has been a pain. Wont do D2d unless I prep them the day before and has then been known for pulling them out again and throwing them on the floor. So I did not share anything with him. :hmmmm

If he got any tips on the round himself then good luck to him.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........