Postman helps reunite long-lost relative with Swansea war hero Clifford Guard
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A SWANSEA postman has helped deliver some festive joy by reuniting two long-lost relatives with a surprise Christmas card.
When June Brooks came to writing out her Christmas card list this year there was one person she wanted to get in touch with but had no idea where he lived.
Mrs Brooks had not seen her cousin Clifford Guard for around 60 years. Although born and bred in Swansea, he famously ran away to sea at the age of 15 and eventually ended up in the American Army during the Second World War before settling in his adopted country and raising a family.
The former psychologist returned home after retiring, eventually settling in Mumbles with his second wife Maggie.
Two years ago he was invited to meet the Queen during a special Buckingham Palace garden party to honour D-Day veterans.
Mrs Brooks had learnt all about Mr Guard's wartime adventures after reading about him in the Evening Post but had no idea how to contact him. Then she had an idea. The 79-year-old from Trallwn wrote the card and asked her postman for help.
She handed the card over saying: "Can you deliver this to the Second World War veteran Clifford Guard?"
The next day Mr Guard had a knock on his door from his postman and was handed a surprise.
The pair shared their story with the Evening Post so they could thank the Royal Mail for it assistance.
Mrs Brooks said: "Clifford went to America when he was 15. He just went off, he had a very hard upbringing and he thought the world of my mother, she used to help feed him. We used to play on our bikes together.
"I last saw him years ago, it must have been in the 1950s when he surprised me and my brother with a visit. I haven't seen him since.
"More recently I've seen him in the Evening Post a few times, he's quite a character, and I thought, how can I get hold of him?
"We have a wonderful postman called Paul, he will do anything for anyone, so I asked him to help me. I gave him the card but I didn't have an address. He said he would do his best.
"The next day he posted Cliff's address through my letterbox, the card had already been delivered.
"I was over the moon. Then Clifford called me.
"At first he didn't know who I was then I said 'I'm Mary Anne's daughter!' He was so happy we had a long chat, catching up on a lot of years."
Mr Guard, aged 92, said: "The postman knocked on the door and said 'I've got a strange letter for you, it's a Christmas card from someone who knows you.'
"It sure was a mighty surprise to find out it was from June.
"She put her telephone number inside and so I called her and we arranged to meet up.
"I hadn't seen her for around 60 years but when I walked into her home I recognised her straight away as the little girl I used to know.
"It was lovely and just to think it all came about because of the South Wales Evening Post and the friendly postal service."
Mr Guard and his wife Maggie were also delighted to meet the youngest member of the family, four -year-old Cody Brooks.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman helps reunite long-lost relative with war hero
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman helps reunite long-lost relative with war hero
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.