Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers along with the mail to people living in rural areas around Winchcombe
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ro ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For many people it was a lifeline that kept them in touch with the news and a reminder of a more community-spirited time.
But the unofficial delivery of newspapers to people in rural villages around Winchcombe by postal workers has come to an end.
The Royal Mail has said it will no longer take newspapers along with the mail to properties in village such as Toddington and Alderton.
It has come to a blow to an elderly woman who lives in a out-of-the-way home near Winchcombe.
She said she relied on getting her newspapers delivered along with her mail as she was unable to get into Winchcombe to buy them.
She said: “It has been a welcome service for some time, although it was never official.
“We had been getting our newspaper delivered with the mail for about nine years and was a really helpful because we are unable to get to the newsagents easily.
"We knew it wasn't official policy to deliver the newspapers, but it was really appreciated and it was sad when it ended last Friday.
"So much for the 'big society' that the Prime Minister David Cameron talks about."
She said that the location of the house she shares with her husband made it impossible for a paperboy or girl to deliver.
And while their newsagent was driving out with their Daily Telegraph, they did not know how long that would continue.
A Royal Mail spokesman said “We regret the inconvenience caused to customers however this is not a service Royal Mail is able to offer.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
Bit of an own goal I'm sure the delivery officer won't mind donating his own personal copy to them. If you know what I mean 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
Along with his pint of milk, 5lb bag of spuds, bag of sugar and if it's around lunchtime maybe his fish and chip dinner.deltaforce wrote:Bit of an own goal I'm sure the delivery officer won't mind donating his own personal copy to them. If you know what I mean
-
ShropshireLad
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 17:02
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
They stopped this round our way about 10 years ago. Although I lost a bit in Christmas tips I was glad they stopped it. The Saturday papers in particular were a bloody nuisance and used to take up half the van!
-
macetheace
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 21:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
when I was a reserve I was once put into a rural office where upon I was told by the owner of the shop/postoffice that I had to take out the papers to the farms because the paperboys/girls wouldn't cycle down the lanes I told the owner to go and whistle and that if any farmer wanted a paper then they should get off there arse or indeed the owner and get it themselves...........hence I was only in the office for a couple of weeks before moving on 
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
But just think how the farmers would have remembered you at Christmas had you taken their papers and not argued.macetheace wrote:when I was a reserve I was once put into a rural office where upon I was told by the owner of the shop/postoffice that I had to take out the papers to the farms because the paperboys/girls wouldn't cycle down the lanes I told the owner to go and whistle and that if any farmer wanted a paper then they should get off there arse or indeed the owner and get it themselves...........hence I was only in the office for a couple of weeks before moving on
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail stops unoffical deliveries of newspapers
What like that barsteward, years ago, who offered to pull me out of a boggy field with his tractor and then sent my boss a bill for doing it, dropping me in the sh1t because I hadn't told him I'd been stuckLounge Lizard wrote:But just think how the farmers would have remembered you at Christmas had you taken their papers and not argued.macetheace wrote:when I was a reserve I was once put into a rural office where upon I was told by the owner of the shop/postoffice that I had to take out the papers to the farms because the paperboys/girls wouldn't cycle down the lanes I told the owner to go and whistle and that if any farmer wanted a paper then they should get off there arse or indeed the owner and get it themselves...........hence I was only in the office for a couple of weeks before moving on