ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

aiden01 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:
This year we have a diligent new DOM who has asked me (indirectly) to either come in early, or take a day's leave. If I didn't want this then I am to sacrifice a day of my pre-booked holiday in between the Christmas/new year which I have long since made plans to spend with my family.
Ask if you can use the day in lieu you will get for Jan 1st to offset Xmas eve! Simples?
has already been offered a days leave :Very Happy
Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use.
:hmmmm Maybe it would have been wiser to think on those lines before assuming you didn't need to go to work that day. In our office late starters start at the same time as the early starters on Christmas eve and work their hours as normal.
Alpha1
Posts: 2
Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 10:24
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies. I was hoping there was a silver bullet solution to this problem that I hadn't already figured, but it seems not. I forgot to mention that any other year, this anomaly is compounded with New Year's Eve which is exactly the same. Historically, I would come in early, do the firms collection on either CE or NYE, alternating. This year I already have NYE booked off. But this will occur next year. I would be nice to solve this 'officially' and amicably, so I'm not always looking over my shoulder (so-to-speak) every time Christmas comes around.

In response to some of your replies:

"The early start might be viewed as a "Reasonable" request, however considering the time of year, I would stress the problems of Childcare." I think they know this. I was asked Friday (20th) and they need my answer ASAP. Is that reasonable?

"To be honest, if it was me I would take it as a days leave. Most posties if they had the choice,would be happy to have Christmas eve off and take it as annual leave. I agree with the previous poster that its a bit much to just not turn up and still expect to be paid for it even though you've got away with it in the past. Good luck." - I must stress I am not trying to get something for nothing, and I don't want to queer my pitch with the managers or my colleagues, but on the other hand I'm not a charity either. Being asked to take a day's leave is as unreasonable as not turning up and being paid, surely? With regard the few times I have not turned up, I suspect it was just easier for my previous DOM's to turn a blind-eye, and I perhaps saw it as a little perk for doing the 'odd job' that nobody else wanted, extra responsibility for locking up late at night, etc. etc.

"Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use." - you're right, I don't have any more annual leave left, nor want to lose time with my new family.

I think I'll clarify just what they expect me to do on CE and see whether I can get someone to babysit. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.

Thanks again all, and have a great Christmas and New Year! :nana
redman
Posts: 56
Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by redman »

Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by dvbuk55 »

redman wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.
When you read some of the posters on this forum it would appear that they believe it's some sort of charitable organisation, not just Alpha1 but anyone who bleats about problems and expects RM to provide a solution. :cuppa
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by clashcityrocker »

My day off falls on xmas day.
Shouldn't I be paid double time?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.

Post by OnAFlyer »

redman wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.
Exactly. A fair compromise would be you either take a days leave (99% of RM staff would love the chance) or go in and work full hours like everyone else.

Hell I'd swap two days leave to get Christmas Eve off.