Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conning Crawley postman
http://www.crawleynews.co.uk/Thief-swip ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A MUM has told how a package containing her two-year-old son's Christmas present was "stolen" from her postman by someone posing as one of her neighbours.
Klaudia Bunting, 31, bought her son Leon a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from a private seller on the Amazon website so he could watch videos, play games and listen to music.
But on November 22, the day a postman attempted to deliver it to her home on Rushetts Road, in Langley Green, she had taken Leon to Crawley Health Centre because he had a chest infection.
On November 24, after seeing the item had been "delivered" according to the Royal Mail's online tracking system, she contacted the company's sorting office in Manor Royal to be told that a man who had claimed to be a neighbour had taken the package.
Mrs Bunting said: "The postman had knocked on my door. I wasn't in. He knocked on my neighbour's door. They weren't in.
"He went to his van and while he was writing out the red card someone came up, some guy, apparently he was white and stocky, and he said 'I can take it to her'.
"The postman gave it to him and didn't ask for ID.
"I was really angry. I was fuming. I asked all my neighbours if they had the package. Then I reported it to the police."
Records show the item was delivered to a different number to Mrs Bunting's house, but she has been told by the person who lives there that no one was in at that property at the time.
Mrs Bunting has contacted the seller of the item to see if she can get a refund, but there is no chance of this happening until the Royal Mail has investigated the incident, which won't happen until today (Wednesday).
In the meantime the mum has been left without the present to give to her son on Christmas Day.
She wants to see postmen and women asking for identification before handing over parcels, and an apology from the Royal Mail.
And she wants to raise awareness of the issue with the public and postal workers.
Mrs Bunting said: "I have lived on Rushetts Road for two years and so far I have never had a problem. The neighbours are lovely.
"But I would like to raise awareness that someone can come along and do that and might be watching the postman."
Royal Mail spokeswoman Sally Hopkins confirmed that the incident is being investigated.
She added: 'We are concerned to hear about Mrs Bunting's experience as every item of mail is important to us and the vast majority of the 58 million items we handle every day are delivered successfully."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conning
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conning
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conn
How can anything show what number it was delivered to,supposedly?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Records show the item was delivered to a different number to Mrs Bunting's house,
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conn
Looks like he may get the sack for Christmas.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conn
Why would he get the sack when he is following orders and RM standard of delivering to neighbours?
How was he to know the bloke is not a neighbour - he turned his back and someone next door or vicinity of next door said I will take the parcel; job done!
How many posties go asking for IDs at the next neighbour? Not only will that seriously annoy the neighbour but it will add even more time and palava to the whole affair...
I had an almost similar incident but I was not entirely sure whether a neighbour was taking the mickey out of me or something else... I knocked and waited and thought about leaving item in post box on the wall but it would have been sticking out; invariably I decided to write a card... Then a bloke on the other side of the street said there was someone at the window upstairs...
I left parcel in said letter box and went to deliver another parcel across the road but nobody came to collect the parcel I left in the post box... I ended putting in a P739 to my great annoyance and waste of time and effort. The parcel was redelivered 2 days letter by myself - what a waste of time!
How was he to know the bloke is not a neighbour - he turned his back and someone next door or vicinity of next door said I will take the parcel; job done!
How many posties go asking for IDs at the next neighbour? Not only will that seriously annoy the neighbour but it will add even more time and palava to the whole affair...
I had an almost similar incident but I was not entirely sure whether a neighbour was taking the mickey out of me or something else... I knocked and waited and thought about leaving item in post box on the wall but it would have been sticking out; invariably I decided to write a card... Then a bloke on the other side of the street said there was someone at the window upstairs...
I left parcel in said letter box and went to deliver another parcel across the road but nobody came to collect the parcel I left in the post box... I ended putting in a P739 to my great annoyance and waste of time and effort. The parcel was redelivered 2 days letter by myself - what a waste of time!
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conn
Thing is the postie should have left a 739 to say what number it had been left with.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Thief steals two-year-old's Christmas present after conn
Me,I'll make sure the neighbour has came from their house,never on the street..its going to happen more and more...feel for the postie though,we all know the pressure that can lead to mistakes
I won