ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling householder

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

:nana :nana

Take a look at this!


Talk about shoddy journalism by the :thumbdown Scunthorpe Telegraph! :thumbdown


:nana :nana


http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Am ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9196891.jpg
Amazon delivery worker dumps Christmas presents in wheelie bin to disbelief of Cheltenham dad
By Gloucestershire Echo | Posted: December 15, 2014

How would you feel if your Christmas deliveries were left in your rubbish bin because you were out?

This is what happened to Echo news editor Phil Norris who had been expecting Amazon to deliver some Christmas presents for his family this week.

He and his wife were surprised to discover a note had been put through the front door of their Up Hatherley home saying the parcel was “left in bin”.

Phil, 43, said: “We only noticed the note at about 10.30pm on Saturday night and were a bit mystified.

“When it said the parcel was “in the bin” we weren’t sure what they meant.

“The only bin outside is our neighbours food waste bin, so we checked in there and there was nothing, thankfully.

“We then went to our wheelie bin round the corner and saw the two parcels on top of the bags of rubbish.”

The parcels were fine, but they could easily have been left there overnight, he said.

“We also wondered what would have happened had we been away for a few days.

“Our neighbours would have moved the wheelie bin for collection and it could have been collected by the refuse collectors,” Phil said.

A spokesman for Amazon said: "We are sorry to learn about this experience and take complaints of this nature very seriously. We will, of course, replace the item at no charge."

After writing about what happened on the Echo’s facebook page, there was a strong and divided reaction from people.

Clare Page wrote: “Delivery people get a hard time – let’s stop and remember they are trying to earn a living - and it's a hard one - if you don't like the way things are done then don't order for home delivery - quite simple. Thanks to all the delivery people who come to my address - I have no complaints.”

Jodie Davis added: I don't understand what the big ordeal is about this? Your getting your parcel it's safe and not getting rained on? I'm pretty sure everything comes in packaging and your rubbish is in bags? so the actual gift won't be affected!! If your not going to be home due to work have it delivered elsewhere such as work or even a parcel collection point like Morrisons have now?! If you don't like how it is delivered pay full price in town!!

Sarah McEvoy posted: “Difficult one! Everyone knows they've ordered these items, and they're unlikely to fit through your letter box. I used to place my small green recycle bin next to the front door hoping if I was out that a parcel would be popped in there. Not getting home until 630pm that was more helpful than rushing to get in queue at the post office or rearranging delivery.

Julian Wellings said: “A couple of years ago Royal Mail actually attached a package to my front door using a rubber band, for all to see."

Sharon Long wrote: "Me and my neighbour have both had parcels just left on the doorstep , luckily we each saw the others parcel there abd brought them in otherwise it wouldn't of stayed there for long , iv also had them in the bin , chucked fragile items over the gate and the very worst one ..left with neighbours i don't like,"

While Ryan Carter said: “I work for a well known parcel company, you'd be surprised the requests we get for parcels and one of the most common that's stated in the delivery instructions is 'please leave inside bin' but I agree you shouldn't do that unless given specific instructions to do so! If I feel there isn't a safe,dry and hidden place (if stated it can be left) then I will leave a polite note stating my reasons and that it will be delivered the following day or that it was left with a neighbour so it is kept safe and you wouldn't have to wait for a re-delivery, in which it allows the customer to arrange someone to be home or to inform the driver to leave with a neighbour. But I do agree with this post that parcels should not be left in bins,out in the rain or in the view of passers by unless the customer requests that."

And Jo Smith wrote: "My friend had a parcel left in the bin.. same day the bin men came."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Christmas parcels left in wheelie bin without Royal Mail delivery card telling householder!

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

How would you feel if your Christmas deliveries were left in your rubbish bin because you were out?

This is what happened to Scunthorpe Telegraph acting editor Michelle Hurst who had been expecting a Royal Mail delivery for two weeks - only to discover it had been lying in the bottom of the wheelie bin for some time.

Michelle said: "I had been expecting the delivery, having been given an expected delivery date of December 5.

"Knowing how busy it was, I left it several days, but started to chase it up with the sender last Thursday.

"She confirmed it had definitely been sent out on December 1.

"I said I would wait until Saturday's post had been and then let her know.

"But on Saturday morning I decided to go through my kitchen bin to see if I had accidentally thrown the red delivery card away with other leaflets.

"It was as I turned over a plastic-wrapped leaflet that I noticed an attempt had been made to write on it in ballpoint pen - rather unsuccessfully, but just enough for me to see that it said 'delivery in bin'.

"There was no Royal Mail card, just this small scribbled note that I defy anyone to have seen.

"I went straight to the bin, lifted out a couple of rubbish bags and it was there at the bottom.

"It must have been there since last Tuesday - and was cold and damp with rubbish on top.

"The sender was relieved to hear the news but was as bemused as I was that it had been left like that with no proper note.

"Another few days and it would have gone to the landfill! I'm grateful that they tried to leave it, but think a scribbled note on a plastic wrapper that was not easy to spot was not the best. A Royal Mail delivery card would have been much easier to spot."

Although it's a difficult balancing act - having the items delivered to home so you don't have to trek to a delivery office is preferable, but it seems that Michelle is not alone in having such deliveries.

Julian Wellings said: “A couple of years ago Royal Mail actually attached a package to my front door using a rubber band, for all to see."

Sharon Long wrote: "Me and my neighbour have both had parcels just left on the doorstep, luckily we each saw the others parcel there and brought them in otherwise it wouldn't of stayed there for long, I've also had them in the bin, chucked fragile items over the gate and the very worst one ... left with neighbours I don't like."

And Jo Smith wrote: "My friend had a parcel left in the bin. Same day the bin men came."

While Ryan Carter said: “I work for a well known parcel company, you'd be surprised the requests we get for parcels and one of the most common that's stated in the delivery instructions is 'please leave inside bin' but I agree you shouldn't do that unless given specific instructions to do so! If I feel there isn't a safe, dry and hidden place (if stated it can be left) then I will leave a polite note stating my reasons and that it will be delivered the following day or that it was left with a neighbour so it is kept safe and you wouldn't have to wait for a re-delivery, in which it allows the customer to arrange someone to be home or to inform the driver to leave with a neighbour. But I do agree with this post that parcels should not be left in bins, out in the rain or in the view of passers by unless the customer requests that."
This demonstrates the standard of the newspaper this appeared in. You can't 'of' something, 'of' is not a verb. We all make mistakes and typos occasionally, but in my opinion this one example speaks louder than any other as regards the intelligence of any author. I think GCHQ should monitor the identities of people using either mobile devices or the internet who type 'wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't of' and put them on a list for secret rendition to Diego Garcia for very unpleasant physical discomfort. :evil/mad :evil/mad :evil/mad
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

Don't forget that they also "borrowed" this story from another newspaper, see my previous post, that quite conveniently(?) happens to be in the same newspaper group. I wonder how that has gone down with the owners.

So apart from typo's and plagiarism....
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by enskied »

Not a Royal Mail packet........ Newspaper editors and their facts eh ?