ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling householder

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling householder

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Christmas parcels left in wheelie bin without Royal Mail delivery card telling householder!

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

How would you feel if your Christmas deliveries were left in your rubbish bin because you were out?

This is what happened to Scunthorpe Telegraph acting editor Michelle Hurst who had been expecting a Royal Mail delivery for two weeks - only to discover it had been lying in the bottom of the wheelie bin for some time.

Michelle said: "I had been expecting the delivery, having been given an expected delivery date of December 5.

"Knowing how busy it was, I left it several days, but started to chase it up with the sender last Thursday.

"She confirmed it had definitely been sent out on December 1.

"I said I would wait until Saturday's post had been and then let her know.

"But on Saturday morning I decided to go through my kitchen bin to see if I had accidentally thrown the red delivery card away with other leaflets.

"It was as I turned over a plastic-wrapped leaflet that I noticed an attempt had been made to write on it in ballpoint pen - rather unsuccessfully, but just enough for me to see that it said 'delivery in bin'.

"There was no Royal Mail card, just this small scribbled note that I defy anyone to have seen.

"I went straight to the bin, lifted out a couple of rubbish bags and it was there at the bottom.

"It must have been there since last Tuesday - and was cold and damp with rubbish on top.

"The sender was relieved to hear the news but was as bemused as I was that it had been left like that with no proper note.

"Another few days and it would have gone to the landfill! I'm grateful that they tried to leave it, but think a scribbled note on a plastic wrapper that was not easy to spot was not the best. A Royal Mail delivery card would have been much easier to spot."

Although it's a difficult balancing act - having the items delivered to home so you don't have to trek to a delivery office is preferable, but it seems that Michelle is not alone in having such deliveries.

Julian Wellings said: “A couple of years ago Royal Mail actually attached a package to my front door using a rubber band, for all to see."

Sharon Long wrote: "Me and my neighbour have both had parcels just left on the doorstep, luckily we each saw the others parcel there and brought them in otherwise it wouldn't of stayed there for long, I've also had them in the bin, chucked fragile items over the gate and the very worst one ... left with neighbours I don't like."

And Jo Smith wrote: "My friend had a parcel left in the bin. Same day the bin men came."

While Ryan Carter said: “I work for a well known parcel company, you'd be surprised the requests we get for parcels and one of the most common that's stated in the delivery instructions is 'please leave inside bin' but I agree you shouldn't do that unless given specific instructions to do so! If I feel there isn't a safe, dry and hidden place (if stated it can be left) then I will leave a polite note stating my reasons and that it will be delivered the following day or that it was left with a neighbour so it is kept safe and you wouldn't have to wait for a re-delivery, in which it allows the customer to arrange someone to be home or to inform the driver to leave with a neighbour. But I do agree with this post that parcels should not be left in bins, out in the rain or in the view of passers by unless the customer requests that."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by rhino49 »

It would have been nice of the Scunthorpe Telegraph acting editor Michelle Hurst, to check who the carrier was before blaming Royal Mail, but then again, if you are looking for a juicy non news item on a quiet day - you'll blame just about anyone.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

This has courier written all over it, in my opinion.

That packet in that photo looks like it's an Amazon delivery packet. Going by the barcoding and what looks like a code reader square near the top right hand corner. It looks similar to one I had the other week. I can't recall seeing anything like that on a Royal Mail packet from Amazon,but I may be wrong on that.
Also if it was a postie why use a piece of paper to scribble a note on it and not a 739 card!?
Nice to see that this person only seems to have taken one photo, no close up of the packet concerned or even one of the "scribbled" note either.

On a different note.
I'm not condoning why person who delivered it, put it in there in the first place, but what's the complainant doing putting what sounds like his household rubbish into a green bin? That's for garden waste and that bin looks remarkably clean for that, let alone being used for normal or recycled waste, even if it's in bags. That's probably why the person who delivered it put it in there. I'd not do that even if the bin was empty, let alone putting it in a bin with rubbish in.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by Bahia Feliz »

wabbithunta wrote:but what's the complainant doing putting what sounds like his household rubbish into a green bin?
Depends where you live,We have Green bins here for household waste and Brown bins for garden waste.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:but what's the complainant doing putting what sounds like his household rubbish into a green bin?
Depends where you live,We have Green bins here for household waste and Brown bins for garden waste.
Fair point. All around here it's Black bins for household waste, Blue bins for recycled waste, and Green bins for garden waste.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wabbithunta wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:but what's the complainant doing putting what sounds like his household rubbish into a green bin?
Depends where you live,We have Green bins here for household waste and Brown bins for garden waste.
Fair point. All around here it's Black bins for household waste, Blue bins for recycled waste, and Green bins for garden waste.
Black - Household Refuse,
Green (Paper/Cardboard)- Recycling,
Brown - Garden
Green Box - Glass and Plastic
Yellow - Grit :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wookie »

Looks like a courier. But its the poor postman/Royal Mail who will be blamed.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

TBT are you saying that you've got a grit bin?

cue the john wayne stuff.. :crazy:
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wabbithunta wrote:TBT are you saying that you've got a grit bin?

cue the john wayne stuff.. :crazy:

No I have a grit bin near my home for when its icy. Living on top of a hill in Yorkshire we need it, but some clowns still put rubbish in it. :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by justdeno »

The small packet looks like a DHL one, not us. :Very Happy
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by clashcityrocker »

It actually looks like an Amazon/DHL foreign packet, like the ones we are supposed to be returning for surcharging.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by hellpop »

i saw an amazon delivery driver putting at least 6 parcels in a grey bin on a main road whilst loads of people were passing by and watching him.i asked him if he didnt consider that risky and he told me to mind my own buisiness.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by wabbithunta »

And we get the blame for it...!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by scoobydo79 »

Suspend deliveries to Her house until she apologizes to Her postman if it is a courier.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Re: Xmas parcels left in wheelie bin without telling househo

Post by olilew »

and the very worst one ... left with neighbours I don't like." :left: I particularly liked this bit!
"Just take it out and see how you go......."