ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
SW17
Posts: 90
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 12:17

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by SW17 »

I don't think so, as much as the price of a stamp may mean people are not sending as many cards real cards form most peoples Christmas displays and are more personal, but hey if you want to come across as tacky cheap and have an I cant be bothered attitude send an e card :roll:
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Budfrog »

NWpostie wrote:If Royal Mail did a special booklet set of Christmas stamps at near to the discount bulk rate that big customers get, it would have be marked "Christmas special period stamp" so it can only be used during the Christmas period and no other time. we may get some money in that might otherwise might not be spent and create traffic for us preserving jobs.
Good suggestion.
JoeWagg
Posts: 79
Joined: 21 Sep 2013, 23:03
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by JoeWagg »

Delivered more this week than I did last year that's for sure but I am delivering in a more 'affluent' area.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Acca Dacca »

Royal Mail WANT the mail volume to go down so they can continue to cry to OFCOM etc and get rid of the USO
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by datasaint »

It doesn’t help, she says, that teenagers brought up on email barely know how to address an envelope.
If you're going to be a condescending snob about it you can stick your cards. :wave
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

5plusbonusball wrote:The cards that matter are big ones , then they get surcharged and some go unclaimed. Plus if stamps were sold LOOSE everywhere then there would be more posters, a book of 12 for £7.44 puts a lot off and large stamps are only from a post office which are a nightmare. :cuppa
They are sold from Post Offices loose as well as in 'books' of 12. :Very Happy
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NWpostie wrote:If Royal Mail did a special booklet set of Christmas stamps at near to the discount bulk rate that big customers get, it would have be marked "Christmas special period stamp" so it can only be used during the Christmas period and no other time. we may get some money in that might otherwise might not be spent and create traffic for us preserving jobs.
Discounts wouldn't make sense, firstly, at the busiest time of year and, secondly, on stamped mail which we are told loses money anyway. :crazy:
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Surreypostie »

I'm not sending any cards this year. I have family I only ever hear from at xmas and to be blunt they can go and f*** themselves, they probably say the same about me. won't be wishing them merry xmas by text or email either. I may turn Jehovah witness by next year and opt out of it totally.
silly suffolk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 728
Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
Gender: Male
Location: deepest suffolk

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by silly suffolk »

Surreypostie wrote:I'm not sending any cards this year. I have family I only ever hear from at xmas and to be blunt they can go and f*** themselves, they probably say the same about me. won't be wishing them merry xmas by text or email either. I may turn Jehovah witness by next year and opt out of it totally.
tis the season of goodwill to all men.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Surreypostie wrote:I'm not sending any cards this year. I have family I only ever hear from at xmas and to be blunt they can go and f*** themselves, they probably say the same about me. won't be wishing them merry xmas by text or email either. I may turn Jehovah witness by next year and opt out of it totally.
And it's because many years ago your family did go and f*** themselves that you're here. :crazy: :nana
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Surreypostie »

On a serious note, quite a few punters, older generation people have said to me this morning that they are cutting right down. One elderly couple said they usually post around 90 cards, this year will be less than 10. They say the price of the postage. A stamp is a bargain as we all know but multiply that by 90 plus the price of the cards and quite frankly they are a waste of money.
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 967
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by britwrit »

I was going to write something snarky about "how dear, how expensive a 2nd class stamp is" but then I did the math. That's over £47 to send out 90 cards.
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Tman »

And presumably they get a similar number back, which (I'm assuming) would give them pleasure. If they're going to break everything down to the cash bottom line, they may as well go to bed and pull the covers over their collective heads and stay there forever.
Don't believe the old bollix about poor hard-up old pensioners either....most have more disposable income than young families.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Is 2014 the year the Christmas card died?

Post by Surreypostie »

britwrit wrote:I was going to write something snarky about "how dear, how expensive a 2nd class stamp is" but then I did the math. That's over £47 to send out 90 cards.
Plus the cost of the cards. How many do you get each day that have the wrong number on? These people don't even know where each other live, if it wasn't for our local knowledge a lot would never get delivered.