ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The "how much did you cut today" thread

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by Barbel »

I claimed for an hour today. There's no question of cutting off otherwise you just get it in the neck and it will be there waiting for you in the morning.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by krussel »

Left half the packets behind which was prob an hours work and was picked up for 2 hrs OT by someone. Took the rest and finished 5 mins over my time.

Ah I will give them that being Christmas and all. :nana
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by OnAFlyer »

Yesterday we returned every packet that needed knocking on + all oversized except tracked. Today was even busier, we had two full yorks of large packets and trays filled with packets we didn't have time to take. We had a driver take some for us but with what he returned and the stuff we took back there are over 40 packets still in the office.

To sum it up, in total we had somewhere around 80-90 doors to knock on today, had we taken it all. :crazy:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by krussel »

OnAFlyer wrote:Yesterday we returned every packet that needed knocking on + all oversized except tracked. Today was even busier, we had two full yorks of large packets and trays filled with packets we didn't have time to take. We had a driver take some for us but with what he returned and the stuff we took back there are over 40 packets still in the office.

To sum it up, in total we had somewhere around 80-90 doors to knock on today, had we taken it all. :crazy:

I had a conversation like that with the dom today. To be fair his ok and actually manages the workload.

There was two and a half packet bags waiting by my frame and once the ips was finished I had another full one to add. We decided that I would only take Tracked and packets that would fit through the box. I think I only hand to knock on about 8 or 9 doors today for sigs, it was bliss. :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Mark_Law22
Posts: 68
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by Mark_Law22 »

Left our walk collapsing and a york full of parcels and still finished 20 mins over. Did same yesterday and finished 45 mins over :/
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by OnAFlyer »

krussel wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Yesterday we returned every packet that needed knocking on + all oversized except tracked. Today was even busier, we had two full yorks of large packets and trays filled with packets we didn't have time to take. We had a driver take some for us but with what he returned and the stuff we took back there are over 40 packets still in the office.

To sum it up, in total we had somewhere around 80-90 doors to knock on today, had we taken it all. :crazy:

I had a conversation like that with the dom today. To be fair his ok and actually manages the workload.

There was two and a half packet bags waiting by my frame and once the ips was finished I had another full one to add. We decided that I would only take Tracked and packets that would fit through the box. I think I only hand to knock on about 8 or 9 doors today for sigs, it was bliss. :Applause
Our manager is ok too, he knows we're not taking the piss. Our walks get hammered at Christmas and we've taken just mail, packets that will fit through the door + tracked and specials on many occasions over the last couple of years.

One of the walks in our office had half a packet bag today, he tied up the loops and the walker had 4 packets split over 3 loops. Crazy how different the walks are when those walks are right next to ours!
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by Tank »

I'm on hct industrial mainly, Dom says today can you take a can next week so you can do all the large packets as well! 'Won't take you any extra as you are going there and they are all open' he says! Don't think so unless he wants to pay OT!!!
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by dave72 »

Left 40 packets and 6 loops today (basically a full time duty)
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by Rumple »

Myself and P&L left 20+ packets/parcels (on DOMs suggestion) and was still 50minutes over (and like fools we didn't use trolleys)
ddtc
Posts: 253
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by ddtc »

whats cutting off? seems when I ask I bluntly get told no. But its alright for some of my other colleagues in the office. Same goes for leaving packets. :mad
Queeg500
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by Queeg500 »

ddtc wrote:whats cutting off? seems when I ask I bluntly get told no. But its alright for some of my other colleagues in the office. Same goes for leaving packets. :mad
If you expect that you will not be able to finish by your contracted finish time you can inform your manager that you will not make it, so when it gets near your finish time you 'cut off' your walk and return to base leaving enough time to walk back and finish up. AFAIK you have every right to cut off whenever you want providing you tell them in advance, I'd speak to a union rep.

Managers are prone to uncontrollable bouts of bullshitting, delusions and cessation of higher mental functions.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by krussel »

Left 2 packet bags today. Not all the packets had been cleared from yesterday so it was pointless tipping them. Finished bang on time. :Applause
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Queeg500 wrote:Managers are prone to uncontrollable bouts of bullshitting, delusions and cessation of higher mental functions.
cessation, doesn't it have to start for that to happen. Some managers I have had the misfortune to work with think Engaging Cognitive Processes is an MC function, or a Geeky Kamasutra.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
manboss
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by manboss »

We left a York full of oversized, so in fact we took none out today, got back gone 3 and they were still all there, plus some other other yorks full of parcels and nobody I asked seemed to know who was doing them!
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: The "how much did you cut today" thread

Post by claretandblue »

3 loops and 60 packets. :crazy: