ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3230
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
What about recorded deliveries? Isn't the whole point of it being 'Signed for' to ensure that the addressed recipient received the item. Not the addressees neighbour. What if the person its going to was wanting to refuse it or it was an, ahem, 'personal' item? What constitutes a parcel? Isn't a signed for birthday/xmas card a parcel if it contains money? And aren't they usually sent recorded for the purpose of believing it makes it anti theft. What good is leaving it with a neighbour then?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Hodsyharry
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 17:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
I find so much about delivery to neighbour difficult to get my head around especially being a new postie.
Questions should anyone be willing or able to answer.
If it is signed for, not special, should a neigbour sign for it? If so if it is small enough to fit into letter box should it be posted through customers letterbox or left with the neighbour? If left with neigbour and customer refuses to pick up due to a fine or something official, where does that leave the neigbour as it has been delivered and shown as.
If an unsigned package is left with a neigbour and 739 is chewed by the dog or just disposed of by accident the customer has no idea where the package is and neither do Royal Mail apart from my memory. That rather relies on the neighbour being responsible enough to knock on customers door to let them know they have it. If it was sent back to the office they have a contact to call if not delivered within the accepted timescale. Does that leave me in a potentially tricky situ?
Questions should anyone be willing or able to answer.
If it is signed for, not special, should a neigbour sign for it? If so if it is small enough to fit into letter box should it be posted through customers letterbox or left with the neighbour? If left with neigbour and customer refuses to pick up due to a fine or something official, where does that leave the neigbour as it has been delivered and shown as.
If an unsigned package is left with a neigbour and 739 is chewed by the dog or just disposed of by accident the customer has no idea where the package is and neither do Royal Mail apart from my memory. That rather relies on the neighbour being responsible enough to knock on customers door to let them know they have it. If it was sent back to the office they have a contact to call if not delivered within the accepted timescale. Does that leave me in a potentially tricky situ?
-
celerycelery
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Why on earth have the cwu agreed to this "standard" when a good proportion of revisions were done before DTN came in therefore not having any extra time built in to enable them to do this? DTN was a big no no back in 2010 when revisions first started and could have resulted in conduct. I am amazed the cwu think that any manager will use the common sense approach when a member says they cant complete now due to them having to try delivery to neighbours. 
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
micksurrey wrote:I also have Data protection concerns. I had a lady come to the door once and she asked me a question. The question was, Could you tell me my neighbours name please as I am issuing court proceedings against them? Now as we all know, we are not allowed to give that information so I declined as it breaches data protection laws. So imagine the next day I go back there and ask, will you take this in for your neighbour please?
Data protection laws have nothing to do with that.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
micksurrey wrote:I remember from my inducton years ago, when you take an item to the Post Office or stick a stamp on an item and pop it into a postbox, you are entering into a contract with Royal Mail for them to deliver that item to the address you write on it for that fee. Not to deliver it to an address of our choosing. If I send something via RM and it subsequently goes missing and the customer can give me the P739 or a copy of it, I'm sure I would win a case in the small claims court for breach of contract. I want items I send delivered to the address I send it to. This should be an opt in scheme not opt out.
The contract now has the option to deliver to neighbour so there would no breach of contract also the public had a chance during the consulate on period to raise objections and get den stopped but they on a whole didn't seem that interested in doing that in fact it seems that quite a large percentage want this service
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Hmm what a steaming pile of horse manure this is! I read/was told it takes no more time to DTN
slightly mixed messages there
I can't extend due to commitments so I shall decide when I knock on someone else's.
The end.
I can't extend due to commitments so I shall decide when I knock on someone else's.
The end.
Last edited by 19times on 25 Nov 2014, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Acca Dacca wrote:What about recorded deliveries? Isn't the whole point of it being 'Signed for' to ensure that the addressed recipient received the item. Not the addressees neighbour. What if the person its going to was wanting to refuse it or it was an, ahem, 'personal' item? What constitutes a parcel? Isn't a signed for birthday/xmas card a parcel if it contains money? And aren't they usually sent recorded for the purpose of believing it makes it anti theft. What good is leaving it with a neighbour then?
The only way cash should be getting sent is special delivery not recorded
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3230
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Thats not the point though.zx135 wrote:Acca Dacca wrote:What about recorded deliveries? Isn't the whole point of it being 'Signed for' to ensure that the addressed recipient received the item. Not the addressees neighbour. What if the person its going to was wanting to refuse it or it was an, ahem, 'personal' item? What constitutes a parcel? Isn't a signed for birthday/xmas card a parcel if it contains money? And aren't they usually sent recorded for the purpose of believing it makes it anti theft. What good is leaving it with a neighbour then?
The only way cash should be getting sent is special delivery not recorded
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
masterblaster
- Posts: 285
- Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
I would have thought another reason not to attempt delivery to a neighbour, is when the next house is a mile away?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Acca Dacca wrote:Thats not the point though.zx135 wrote:Acca Dacca wrote:What about recorded deliveries? Isn't the whole point of it being 'Signed for' to ensure that the addressed recipient received the item. Not the addressees neighbour. What if the person its going to was wanting to refuse it or it was an, ahem, 'personal' item? What constitutes a parcel? Isn't a signed for birthday/xmas card a parcel if it contains money? And aren't they usually sent recorded for the purpose of believing it makes it anti theft. What good is leaving it with a neighbour then?
The only way cash should be getting sent is special delivery not recorded
It is though. And if people are sending cash by recorded and it goes to the neighbour and is then lost or stolen then they will be told that they should have sent it by special delivery then it wouldn't have happened
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
A few people say I didnt order anything recorded and it might be a summons or fine etc and they refuse it, if it goes to neighbour then the sender thinks they've signed for the bad news. Therefore I don't take signed for letters to neighbours.
I use my noddle and deliver a select few daily to the trusted neighbours and 739 the rest for my peace of mind and job security.
With the bag checks when you get back just say yes I tried some neighbours and did what I could - end of.
I use my noddle and deliver a select few daily to the trusted neighbours and 739 the rest for my peace of mind and job security.
With the bag checks when you get back just say yes I tried some neighbours and did what I could - end of.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
To stop Couriors knocking you up to take parcels, put a sign on your door saying
neighbours parcels taken, £5 per item
neighbours parcels taken, £5 per item
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Simply because the CWU will promise that you will do anything RM ask because they aren't affected in any way shape or form. Only an absolute idiot would think that DTN doesn't take any longer and only a bigger idiot would endorse it.celerycelery wrote:Why on earth have the cwu agreed to this "standard" when a good proportion of revisions were done before DTN came in therefore not having any extra time built in to enable them to do this? DTN was a big no no back in 2010 when revisions first started and could have resulted in conduct. I am amazed the cwu think that any manager will use the common sense approach when a member says they cant complete now due to them having to try delivery to neighbours.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2034
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
Is there a rule that you cannot send money via Recorded Delivery? Personally i wouldn't but any item that RM take into the system should be looked after be it a kids toy or a Rolex watchzx135 wrote:Acca Dacca wrote:Thats not the point though.zx135 wrote:Acca Dacca wrote:What about recorded deliveries? Isn't the whole point of it being 'Signed for' to ensure that the addressed recipient received the item. Not the addressees neighbour. What if the person its going to was wanting to refuse it or it was an, ahem, 'personal' item? What constitutes a parcel? Isn't a signed for birthday/xmas card a parcel if it contains money? And aren't they usually sent recorded for the purpose of believing it makes it anti theft. What good is leaving it with a neighbour then?
The only way cash should be getting sent is special delivery not recorded
It is though. And if people are sending cash by recorded and it goes to the neighbour and is then lost or stolen then they will be told that they should have sent it by special delivery then it wouldn't have happened
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Delivery to Neighbour:We answer most popular questions
5plusbonusball wrote:A few people say I didnt order anything recorded and it might be a summons or fine etc and they refuse it, if it goes to neighbour then the sender thinks they've signed for the bad news. Therefore I don't take signed for letters to neighbours.
I use my noddle and deliver a select few daily to the trusted neighbours and 739 the rest for my peace of mind and job security.
With the bag checks when you get back just say yes I tried some neighbours and did what I could - end of.
What he says ^^^
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "