ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rumour of franchising the walks.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
edwardo
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by edwardo »

No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by rubberbond »

NWpostie wrote:It would be a race to the bottom as far as standards are concerned.
Wel we are almost there anyway,thanks to the current managerial regime. A fish rots from the head.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by dvbuk55 »

edwardo wrote:No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
What's the betting it will be claimed as saving full time jobs :cuppa
glass joe
Posts: 171
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by glass joe »

nothing would surprise me these day, 10 years ago if you said they would of gotten rid of the bikes and explain what it's like to work now, not many people would of believed you.
Patti-Ann
Posts: 68
Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
Gender: Female

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by Patti-Ann »

Can someone explain what franchising is and how it will affect workers?

Thanks :thumbup
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Patti-Ann wrote:Can someone explain what franchising is and how it will affect workers?

Thanks :thumbup
Essentially anyone who has a franchise for a duty is self employed, any leaver could be replaced by someone who takes out a franchise for that duty. A franchisee would have to find someone to do his duty when on holiday, sick etc, pay his own tax and insurance. This operation is already in use at Parcelforce with owner drivers. I don't think it's anytime soon but looking at it realistically RM would love to get rid of it's huge workforce.
pj2001
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by pj2001 »

The whole delivery office would be franchised, someone pays a fee to run the delivery officecompletely, finance management etc. Delivery staff would be owner drivers, basically self employed with no holiday, sick pay or pension contrbution by royal mail. Look at parcel force for details, own vehicle, 55 hour week and have to find someone to stand in if you go sick.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by P13 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
edwardo wrote:No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
What's the betting it will be claimed as saving full time jobs :cuppa
Dave Ward told my office the union had done a great job fighting off franchising of deliveries, but then again he also said our managers had a tough job :shock:
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by axeman »

franchising in pf is a farce the guys doing it are working extremely long hours just to make a living especially I'd imagine if you were a rural it woud not be worth turning up for work,, royal fail will screw you if it ever goes ahead that you can be sure of :speak to the hand
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by dvbuk55 »

P13 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
edwardo wrote:No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
What's the betting it will be claimed as saving full time jobs :cuppa
Dave Ward told my office the union had done a great job fighting off franchising of deliveries, but then again he also said our managers had a tough job :shock:
Nothing like blowing your own trumpet but what about saving full time jobs that's hardly been a raging success and how many have we lost in the last ten years -50,000 - aye sounds like things are on track :shock: I suppose they could franchise a whole office to TNT who would then franchise the deliveries piecemeal. As for working all hours to make a living wage, that's the whole point of the franchise, the company has no responsibility for how hard you work.
Patti-Ann
Posts: 68
Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
Gender: Female

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by Patti-Ann »

So it would be the end of van share and back to one person per duty? What if two people wanted the same delivery, how would they decide that - on seniority?

It sounds like it's only open to drivers, so not good news for walkers. I'm fortunate in that I'm of an age where I could take early retirement (I already have my pension) - in fact by the time this comes in I'll probably have reached 60 anyway :cuppa
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Patti-Ann wrote:So it would be the end of van share and back to one person per duty? What if two people wanted the same delivery, how would they decide that - on seniority?

It sounds like it's only open to drivers, so not good news for walkers. I'm fortunate in that I'm of an age where I could take early retirement (I already have my pension) - in fact by the time this comes in I'll probably have reached 60 anyway :cuppa
No sense worrying about it, if it's what RM want then that's what it'll be - I'm sure there'll be a joint statement saying what a boon for the workforce it is. I see it now, "Franchising, the best things since fried bread" followed by a list of what wonderful benefits there'll be, just like the agreements it'll be sold to the workforce only to turn out like all the agreements.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by P13 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
P13 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
edwardo wrote:No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
What's the betting it will be claimed as saving full time jobs :cuppa
Dave Ward told my office the union had done a great job fighting off franchising of deliveries, but then again he also said our managers had a tough job :shock:
Nothing like blowing your own trumpet but what about saving full time jobs that's hardly been a raging success and how many have we lost in the last ten years -50,000 - aye sounds like things are on track :shock: I suppose they could franchise a whole office to TNT who would then franchise the deliveries piecemeal. As for working all hours to make a living wage, that's the whole point of the franchise, the company has no responsibility for how hard you work.
To be honest DVB I could not believe the crap that was coming out of Dave Ward's mouth, I am quite frankly disgusted with the union
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by dvbuk55 »

P13 wrote:To be honest DVB I could not believe the crap that was coming out of Dave Ward's mouth, I am quite frankly disgusted with the union
Well it has been apparent for a long time that the CWU has hitched it's star to RM and practically disavowed any responsibility for the members terms and conditions. I have been a member of a union for over 40 years and it's difficult to reconcile the aims of the CWU with the aspirations of the membership of an organisation funded to look after their welfare.
paulf0203
Posts: 121
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Rumour of franchising the walks.

Post by paulf0203 »

P13 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
P13 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
edwardo wrote:No franchising was part of deal C W U signed if I'm correct , but if our office is anything to go by that deal seems to be null and void
What's the betting it will be claimed as saving full time jobs :cuppa
Dave Ward told my office the union had done a great job fighting off franchising of deliveries, but then again he also said our managers had a tough job :shock:
Nothing like blowing your own trumpet but what about saving full time jobs that's hardly been a raging success and how many have we lost in the last ten years -50,000 - aye sounds like things are on track :shock: I suppose they could franchise a whole office to TNT who would then franchise the deliveries piecemeal. As for working all hours to make a living wage, that's the whole point of the franchise, the company has no responsibility for how hard you work.
To be honest DVB I could not believe the crap that was coming out of Dave Ward's mouth, I am quite frankly disgusted with the union
The Union needs to be informed by any means that we as members oppose the notion of franchising in any shape or form and unless they get that feedback they may just think it's acceptable. I was around in the dairy industry in the 80's and 90's when they tried it with the retail milk rounds. The roundspeople gave up their terms and conditions and became self employed , they were in a position to potentially sell more to their customers to make a few quid out of it but due to competition from the supermarkets and other companies the decline in milk sales just kept coming and eventually they all lost out. It's worth noting that for those who did not take up the franchise offer were weakened in respect of their bargaining power as the franchisees did not keep up their union membership.

In respect of us going down the same route bearing in mind we have no potential to increase our customer base it will be doomed from the start as the decline will continue as other companies join the market place not forgetting TNT and the likes who are their already with an aggressive growth strategy. The only beneficiaries with franchising will be Royal Mail as they will cut their employee costs and weaken the union at the same time.

The dairy companies also tried the franchising of the depots as a whole where individual franchising wasn't taken up and it just attracted some very nasty employers who did not understand how to treat staff well or how to deal with unions and they ruled with fear basically it was an absolute nightmare.

So to finish I would advise you all to contact the CWU and let them know that franchising is not acceptable.