ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

cutting off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by BernardBresslaw »

redandblue wrote:I don't think the Managers attitude to cutting off is the problem. Our biggest problem is the fact that some off our workmates are willing to sh.t on their collegues, and carve the walks up.
If everyone did the job at a reasonable pace, and with good delivery practice, the Managers wouldn't have the ammo to fire at us.
How many of us that cut off, are told that their rest day cover manages to complete on a regular basis?
This.

When you have colleagues coming in to work over half an hour early, walking out the door with a bundle of absorption, it does make you look a bit of an idiot walking up to your manager and telling them you won't even complete your round.
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

So then you book on a daily basis or even leave mail for someone else to do on o/t then on your day off a runner completes your delivery on time :arrrghhh
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by dblad »

We've been telling different doms our walk is way too big since it started and no way can we complete it, so to help us they decide to put more on it, then to really improve things they decided to double all the slots and make the frame smaller...they just can't understand why it's not helping.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: cutting off

Post by BingBong »

celerycelery wrote:Spot on. Most managers haven't done a delivery for years, especially since 2010 when all these new methods came in. They should have to go out at least twice a week on different deliveries. They use a dodgy computer system as a guide to argue the case that you can't complete. Wish it was as easy as that.
and when they do go out on deliveries they carry bags and dont use the trolleys. tut tut. :arrrghhh
Toon Army!
Post1977
Posts: 86
Joined: 02 Jan 2013, 17:34
Gender: Female

Re: cutting off

Post by Post1977 »

TOP brass in CWU need get theirs heads out of the sad and get this sorted. Getting fed up of the shite I've have to put up from managers when I'm working to time. BIG FAT TARGET ON MY BACK.
All I want to do is my paid hours and go home, don't want the over time.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: cutting off

Post by k979aaa »

Post1977 wrote:TOP brass in CWU need get theirs heads out of the sad and get this sorted. Getting fed up of the shite I've have to put up from managers when I'm working to time. BIG FAT TARGET ON MY BACK.
All I want to do is my paid hours and go home, don't want the over time.
You mean unpaid Overtime we all come to work to earn money but when it is not paid as promised I can see why this girl is pissed off as we all are!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by Lincox »

BingBong wrote:
celerycelery wrote:Spot on. Most managers haven't done a delivery for years, especially since 2010 when all these new methods came in. They should have to go out at least twice a week on different deliveries. They use a dodgy computer system as a guide to argue the case that you can't complete. Wish it was as easy as that.
and when they do go out on deliveries they carry bags and dont use the trolleys. tut tut. :arrrghhh
And use their private cars on delivery.
piranha
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 496
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by piranha »

This is what I've started doing. Every single day I tell the DOM I might struggle to complete the round today because there are lots of unforseen circumstances which might happen. If you do not want to do overtime don't do it. They cannot make you. Play them at their own game.
Patti-Ann
Posts: 68
Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
Gender: Female

Re: cutting off

Post by Patti-Ann »

I do a van share and work to my time every day while my driver works overtime whenever he can. So it actually suits us both - he drops me off back at the office, goes back out to complete the delivery (usually one of my loops plus his), then goes off to do his overtime on another walk.
mondeo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 08:00
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by mondeo1 »

our DOM told one of our rural lads this week that if he was working till 4pm over xmas like we all did last year he was doing something wrong?,this rural postman has over 25 years experience in doing rurals and is one of the quickest rural lads we have in our office,what do you say to that?,this DOM is a complete dick :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by Lincox »

I have learnt through past job experiences that such statements that have not been evaluated by the manager and are just thrust on you without any thought are easily overcome by throwing back a question to the manager that basically goes along the lines.
Well Mr DOM, I understand what you are saying and thank you for your experience and understanding in this matter. Would you be able to impart some of the good practices that you have accumulated over the years and explain and show me how I can fit 6 hours of work into 5. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: cutting off

Post by FinishOnTime »

You get a different response at this time of year to all this. Obviously their stock response of "you'll finish on time" or "its light" would sound even more ridiculous than usual, so they play the operational requirements card, and threaten to take you off the duty. Where genuinely trying to cover work ends and bullying and harassment starts is often hard to tell.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: cutting off

Post by krussel »

FinishOnTime wrote: and threaten to take you off the duty.

Happened to me a couple of years back. I had refused Christmas pressure overtime and after the first day I cut off got marched into the doms office.

"I have operational requirements" he said. "I guess you do" I replied. "well I need to cover your duty 100% daily so if your not willing to meet that requirement I will be forced to remove you from your duty and replace you with someone who can" says he. :no no

Big speech supposed to have me wimpering in worry about my life and death Christmas tips, I suppose. My reply "oh ok if you like, I will work on the counter then" Stunned silence followed by "fine" from the dom.

Had a great year indoors finished at 1pm each day. Very cold winter that year as well, think it may have snowed once or twice.

See what happens this year.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........