ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Another easy shift..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by hampshireman »

bustedflush wrote:We had the usual crap Saturday too. Double the mech we had Thursday, silly packets and of course, crapsing. The usual argument about the crapsing in the end agreed to do it for OT. Needless to say it p!ssed down and for 15 minutes a torrential squall occurred when I had to hide under a porch. Got back 2pm. drenched, muddy and bruised (after a slip) and managers nowhere to be seen.

"Mail volumes are falling year-on-year." :crazy:
and with the 15 min wait you still finished on time?
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by villan »

bustedflush wrote:"Mail volumes are falling year-on-year." :crazy:
But staff numbers are falling even faster.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by krussel »

P739 wrote:And Christmas just round the corner.. :nana Image

That's pretty grim :shock:

That's one of the reasons I gave up driving. I took out 7 bags in total (some dropped whilst on the round) on my HCT.

As others have said you have loaded the van wrong. If your going to use perstops then put them at the bottom. TBH you could be suspended for loading a van like that if there was an accident.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:As others have said you have loaded the van wrong. If your going to use perstops then put them at the bottom. TBH you could be suspended for loading a van like that if there was an accident.
I don't know if it's a national thing but P&L are forbidden to use perstops on delivery in our office and I don't really know why :hmmmm
Mr_Pink
Posts: 163
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by Mr_Pink »

dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:As others have said you have loaded the van wrong. If your going to use perstops then put them at the bottom. TBH you could be suspended for loading a van like that if there was an accident.
I don't know if it's a national thing but P&L are forbidden to use perstops on delivery in our office and I don't really know why :hmmmm
I always use them, after having 3 sets of pouches nicked. Our P&L rounds are nearly all 6 loops so I load 5 loops into perstops and the first loop into a pouch then just replenish from the perstops, means I only have 1 pouch to keep safe from the thieving buggers and I chuck that in the car when I finish work. Never been told I can't use them.

As for the bags being nicked, I can't understand why people need to nick them we were all given 8 brand new bags when the revision was done, and any new starts are given 8 so there should be no need for it.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by dvbuk55 »

Mr_Pink wrote:As for the bags being nicked, I can't understand why people need to nick them we were all given 8 brand new bags when the revision was done, and any new starts are given 8 so there should be no need for it.
Well it's probably those who bugger off home early and don't bring them in the next day :cuppa
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by bustedflush »

hampshireman wrote:
bustedflush wrote:We had the usual crap Saturday too. Double the mech we had Thursday, silly packets and of course, crapsing. The usual argument about the crapsing in the end agreed to do it for OT. Needless to say it p!ssed down and for 15 minutes a torrential squall occurred when I had to hide under a porch. Got back 2pm. drenched, muddy and bruised (after a slip) and managers nowhere to be seen.

"Mail volumes are falling year-on-year." :crazy:
and with the 15 min wait you still finished on time?

No, without a break (which most don't take Saturday) my finishing time was 13:20.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by hampshireman »

bustedflush wrote:
hampshireman wrote:
bustedflush wrote:We had the usual crap Saturday too. Double the mech we had Thursday, silly packets and of course, crapsing. The usual argument about the crapsing in the end agreed to do it for OT. Needless to say it p!ssed down and for 15 minutes a torrential squall occurred when I had to hide under a porch. Got back 2pm. drenched, muddy and bruised (after a slip) and managers nowhere to be seen.

"Mail volumes are falling year-on-year." :crazy:
and with the 15 min wait you still finished on time?

No, without a break (which most don't take Saturday) my finishing time was 13:20.
Why no break? Whether or not others don't take it is not relevant. You must take your break. I do believe that that if we don't ... RM will 'negotiate' a paid break away.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by Postie45 »

in our office the break is actually put into the duty at the end of the shift on a saturday meaning we finish 40 mins earlier, i dont think any postmen in my office have an issue with this as they want to get away.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Another easy shift..

Post by bustedflush »

Postie45 wrote:in our office the break is actually put into the duty at the end of the shift on a saturday meaning we finish 40 mins earlier, i dont think any postmen in my office have an issue with this as they want to get away.
Yes. It seems the popular choice. My point was that Sat was by far our heaviest day of the week. Usually we are out earlier on a Sat but were even later than usual. there were people not getting out until 9:15-30.