ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

WATERPROOFS

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Hitcher
Posts: 1536
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by Hitcher »

The orange one isn't even long enough.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by krussel »

SWIM wrote:£110?
think I'll pass.

Its cheaper if you put your xmas tips towards it. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by General Mannerheim »

krussel wrote:
SWIM wrote:£110?
think I'll pass.

Its cheaper if you put your xmas tips towards it. :hmmmm
Don't think a Mars Bar and a few Tangerines will go far. :roll:
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by savo »

The Montane stuff is great kit.

I bought a hooded jacket last year for the cold weather, even though its thin material it keeps me toasty warm.

It is shower proof but don't think it would cope with prolonged heavy rain, but as above, got it for the winter.
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by trythat »

I know the end date has just passed, but it might be worth replying to this http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=66168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I emailed my thoughts and got a reply back saying they would be disscussed, I want the excellant thermal coat back, best bit of kit we.ve ever had.
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by Altrider »

Classic case of big company buying from the cheapest bidder. The lightweight s'howerproof 'jacket is surely a case for trades description and the storm jacket has a limit of 20 washes (mines now hit the time limit over 3 years) with a re-proofing agent which is good for just a few days of rain - thanks to crap material. :arrrghhh
That's why in real crap weather my kit is supplemented by Karrimor waterproof boots, Sprayway overtrousers and a Mountainwhorehouse jacket that is waterproof, windproof and breathable.
And that takes care of the summer months :nana
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by Pinky 1 »

rhino49 wrote:
BarnsleyLackey wrote:The orange coat keeps me bone dry, aside from sweat. If you look after it, it's waterproof.
Never had a problem with the stormcoat either and had several over the years - the secret is to treat them as if you own them and as if they were any other reputable brand. Wash and reproof with something like the "Nikwax" system every couple of months and they should be good as new. Sadly many of my colleagues treat their equipment with little or no respect and it returns the favour.
Quite right rhino :thumbup
Mine gets washed and reproofed four times a year using Nikwax and still keeps the rain out, and i'm working out of Wales !
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
swintontillidie
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by swintontillidie »

I don't recall anyone telling me that the stormproof jacket had to be "reproofed"? Perhaps you could enlighten us all on this process so we can all reap the benefit and keep dry.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by rhino49 »

swintontillidie wrote:I don't recall anyone telling me that the stormproof jacket had to be "reproofed"? Perhaps you could enlighten us all on this process so we can all reap the benefit and keep dry.
If you own even Sprayway or Berghaus there comes a time when a bit of maintenance is needed to keep them up to spec. The only items likely to maintain permanent waterproofing would be much more uncomfortable to wear in an active job. Have a look at the Nikwax site here http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Caring for your kit is really your responsibility and it will keep you more comfortable - but if you haven't or don't do outdoor pursuits as well as postal delivery I suppose it may be unreasonable to expect you to know that - but you do now :thumbup
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by masterblaster »

Regatta do a nice red waterproof/breathable jacket. looks just like the RM Sh*te.
search Amazon for
Regatta Men's Pack it Waterproof Packaway Jacket : The colour is Pepper. £14
Then you can annoy your postman by not being in when delivery is attempted!
Last edited by masterblaster on 13 Nov 2014, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by Pinky 1 »

Following on from rhino's posting, this is what i use.

For washing the jacket it's Tech Wash http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/ ... abricid=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the reproofing i use TX Direct http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/ ... abricid=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of outdoor shops stock it, and it's also available online even cheaper. I bought these together as a duel pack, and it'll last me a few years.
As Teebs well knows, look after your kit and it'll look after you :Very Happy
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by wannabeek »

That is a fair comment and I do waterproof my gear but the issue I'm cheesed off about is that the kit wasn't waterproof when brand new.

If I had bought something called a 'Stormproof' at a store yet it didn't even stop a drizzle from soaking through the sleeves on day one then I'd take it back. I'm fed up with having to stump up for waterproofing the shoddy RM gear out of my own pocket.

The red cagoule is precisely as waterproof as a cotton shirt - I did a test in disbelief on the day I got it, and had to treat it straightaway!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by DB1100 »

Here's a good guide http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/expert ... of-jacket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For we were soldiers once,and young
swintontillidie
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by swintontillidie »

wannabeek wrote:That is a fair comment and I do waterproof my gear but the issue I'm cheesed off about is that the kit wasn't waterproof when brand new.

If I had bought something called a 'Stormproof' at a store yet it didn't even stop a drizzle from soaking through the sleeves on day one then I'd take it back. I'm fed up with having to stump up for waterproofing the shoddy RM gear out of my own pocket.

The red cagoule is precisely as waterproof as a cotton shirt - I did a test in disbelief on the day I got it, and had to treat it straightaway!
Exactly! As I recall when the stormproof jacket was introduced it was claimed it had been tested in the Himalayas.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: WATERPROOFS

Post by wannabeek »

They never said if it passed that test or not. I'm guessing not, or maybe it was just a really nice sunny day there!