Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver three parcels" says Worcester pensioner
http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/11 ... pensioner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A FRUSTRATED pensioner says his postman has not been ringing his bell when delivering parcels, leaving him empty-handed even though he was in when he called.
Brian Hunt, vice-chairman of the Worcestershire Pensioners Action Group, says the postman has put the red 'something for you' slip through his letter box three times in the last fortnight. On every occasion Mr Hunt says he was in to receive the parcels but the postman had not bothered to ring the doorbell or knock on the door to check whether he was there.
Mr Hunt, who lives in a block of flats in Lansdowne Rise, Worcester, says he then has to go to collect his mail at the deport in Wainwright Road, Warndon Villages, to pick up the parcel. Mr Hunt even had a special A4 sized letterbox installed to make it easier to receive mail, including small parcels so he is mystified as to what is causing the problem.
He said: "The postman didn't even knock or ring. I looked down and there was one of the cards on the floor saying the parcel needed to be signed for. The slip nearly landed on my feet. When I opened door he had the parcel in his hand and it would have gone through the letterbox anyway. We have a bell here that nearly blows you out of the flat. He said 'I rang the bell'. I said 'no you didn't'. I pressed it to show how loud it was. He was almost apologetic." He believes, judging by the queues at the depot, that this is happening more and more and said he would like to know
"You could tell the people (at the depot) were not really happy bunnies. People are not getting the service they have paid for. We have in the past been used to a good service from Royal Mail. I have never had problems before. Just think about people who don't have transport. There isn't a bus service that runs up there (to the depot). It's out of town. It's awkward even to drive there to be honest. This has happened to me now three times in the last fortnight. I'm not pointing the finger at the postman. I don't know why this is happening. My question is 'why?' If there is some kind of disagreement the public has a right to know. The postmen should also be mindful it takes older people longer to answer their doors."
Royal Mail spokesperson Viktor Tsvetanov said: "We are concerned to hear of this customer's experience with his mail at a block of flats at Lansdowne Rise, Worcester. Households are responsible for allowing us access to their properties to deliver the mail but nevertheless we have spoken to the postman who delivers there to be vigilant when trying to contact recipients of mail at this multi-occupancy building. If customers have concerns about their mail, we would advise them to contact Royal Mail Customer Services on 03457 740740.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver parcels
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver parcels
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
He had the parcel in his hand at the door, but didn't bother knocking and just wrote out a card? Yeah course! 
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
"The postmen should also be mindful it takes older people longer to answer their doors"
And just how is the postman supposed to know who are the 'older people' on an unfamiliar delivery?
And just how is the postman supposed to know who are the 'older people' on an unfamiliar delivery?
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
On an unfamiliar round yesterday, a signed for parcel... I could see the light on upstairs, window slightly opened and radio or music - not so loud: I rang the bell, knocked more than 3 times and even bellowed upwards... Nothing until I had written the card and out she came; said the bell was not really working and could not hear me well. In addition, she assured me that she is usually in.
Today, soaking wet after about 3 hours in the rain, came to the same house, rang the bell - it worked, banged on the door, open the porch and bang and rang another bell? I had already scanned her special and tracked and was waiting for signature... I had to start again - scanned the tracked as delivered and started to write a card for the special (wet through - the cards had almost turned into paper machier) and out again she popped.
She was upstairs... The bell probably did not work - tested; it worked... She apologised and said she probably need to moved bell upstairs... Fair enough for the apology and I accepted but she must have seen how wet I was and my not-amused look when she appeared in a her 50s American Diner style...
Customers hey? But some posties do assume that customers might not be in and some are too impatient...
P739 complaints as I have mentioned in the past is mostly down to the way they are used (incorrectly at times) and the fact that some customers will complain one way or the other.
How come RM and their managers cannot monitor and enforce good use of P739; they had to resort to sending us all (including MC, MDEC and even retired folks) a letter on the 'Something For You card' and how to use them?
Do customers ever complain about not having items delivered to a neighbour?
Today, soaking wet after about 3 hours in the rain, came to the same house, rang the bell - it worked, banged on the door, open the porch and bang and rang another bell? I had already scanned her special and tracked and was waiting for signature... I had to start again - scanned the tracked as delivered and started to write a card for the special (wet through - the cards had almost turned into paper machier) and out again she popped.
She was upstairs... The bell probably did not work - tested; it worked... She apologised and said she probably need to moved bell upstairs... Fair enough for the apology and I accepted but she must have seen how wet I was and my not-amused look when she appeared in a her 50s American Diner style...
Customers hey? But some posties do assume that customers might not be in and some are too impatient...
P739 complaints as I have mentioned in the past is mostly down to the way they are used (incorrectly at times) and the fact that some customers will complain one way or the other.
How come RM and their managers cannot monitor and enforce good use of P739; they had to resort to sending us all (including MC, MDEC and even retired folks) a letter on the 'Something For You card' and how to use them?
Do customers ever complain about not having items delivered to a neighbour?
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
'Do customers ever complain about not having items delivered to a neighbour?'
Yep, had an irate fella who was cheesed off that he was being regularly knocked on to take neighbours' packets yet his own were always 739'd. Can see his point. I think it's because the regular postie would try the neighbours but the packet duty driver wouldn't bother. He'd have in one day his own parcel returned to the office but his neighbour's sitting there in his hall waiting collection!
Yep, had an irate fella who was cheesed off that he was being regularly knocked on to take neighbours' packets yet his own were always 739'd. Can see his point. I think it's because the regular postie would try the neighbours but the packet duty driver wouldn't bother. He'd have in one day his own parcel returned to the office but his neighbour's sitting there in his hall waiting collection!
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
Twas this time last year when I attempted to deliver a parcel, after ringing twice and knocking I p739'd it only to get back to the office and my lino tell me some git has been on the phone complaining you didn't ring etc etc blah blah,.
so went back next day same again no answer , was about to drive off when said git comes hot footing down his drive " I don't belive it " he said in his best victor meldrew voice "why didnt you ring the bloody bell" . I did twice , both days Did not or the dogs would have barked he snapped.
just then Mrs old git pokes here head round the front door " I'm very sorry mr posty its my fault I forgot I'd disconnected the bell last week because of trick or treaters kept calling."
SMUG MODE...and walk away laughing to myself as Mr and Mrs oldgit have a slanging match out in the street, how very common.
so went back next day same again no answer , was about to drive off when said git comes hot footing down his drive " I don't belive it " he said in his best victor meldrew voice "why didnt you ring the bloody bell" . I did twice , both days Did not or the dogs would have barked he snapped.
just then Mrs old git pokes here head round the front door " I'm very sorry mr posty its my fault I forgot I'd disconnected the bell last week because of trick or treaters kept calling."
SMUG MODE...and walk away laughing to myself as Mr and Mrs oldgit have a slanging match out in the street, how very common.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
Another day soaking wet; had a large parcel which was clearly photographs (enlarged?). No sign of anyone home, rapped the door, rang the bell and knocked the door again... Got out the new (rather small) P739 card which was now getting wet and glasses steaming up... Lady comes out and said 'you are a very impatient man' What?
Quizzical look from me - incredulous! She I am disabled (she had a bit of a limp) and it takes me some time to get to the door... I said, I would not know that (anyone was disable or elderly) as I get to a door, it was raining and there was very little sign anyone was in. She went on to tell me that she was also washing her hair. Great
I said, well, I was not going anywhere and I was just about to write a card and that she should not worry about it and beat a hasty retreat into the rain.
Damn round! Onto another round next week. The life of a Reserve
Quizzical look from me - incredulous! She I am disabled (she had a bit of a limp) and it takes me some time to get to the door... I said, I would not know that (anyone was disable or elderly) as I get to a door, it was raining and there was very little sign anyone was in. She went on to tell me that she was also washing her hair. Great
I said, well, I was not going anywhere and I was just about to write a card and that she should not worry about it and beat a hasty retreat into the rain.
Damn round! Onto another round next week. The life of a Reserve
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
Other side of the coin get moaned at for knocking too hard. 
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
I had one customer that complained about not knocking, then a few weeks later complained I was knocking too hard.norm wrote:Other side of the coin get moaned at for knocking too hard.
As for doorbells not working, my philosophy is that if I can't hear the doorbell then I knock as well.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postman did not ring my bell when he came to deliver par
Yes, "You'd wake the dead" I've been accused of.norm wrote:Other side of the coin get moaned at for knocking too hard.