ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

30 mins flexibility

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: 30 mins flexibility

Post by Lincox »

Its a local agreement that you are honest with your manager :arrrghhh
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: 30 mins flexibility

Post by OnAFlyer »

Pinky 1 wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
However....

If you've finished before time some days, and gone over another, then you don't get paid for the time you've gone over unless it adds up to more than 39hrs for the week, then you get whatever you work over that.

Yes, I know it's banking hours, and I know it isn't agreed. But I don't protest too much because I very very rarely work over, make time most weeks and am quite happy to tell our manager that I'm not going over or refuse lapsing.

Just a few quick questions OnAFlyer .......
On the subject of banking hours in your office, how is it managed ? Do you admit to finishing 45 minutes early one day, and your manager believes you, or does your manager wait until the last person on delivery is back, to see it for themselves ?
Does the manager keep a book on everybody who owes the business some time ?
There is usually a manager left in the office until around 3, but it's generally done on honesty. You sign out when you leave, if you lie and are caught out well it's fraud and that'll be that. Yes some people still add some on here and there, which is silly.

Managers don't walk up to staff telling them they owe this and that, but if someone has finished an hour early on say a Tuesday, then refuses to work 15 minutes over another day, it will be mentioned. If the member of staff can't work over that day for whatever reason then they aren't forced to.

You're not expected or asked to work exactly to your 39hrs, all that is asked is a little flexibility on the busier days if needed, with the agreement you go home when you're finished on lighter days.

Fwiw my P&L partner and I have finished early every day so far this week and are probably 2hrs under. (No we don't start early). We'll go over 15-30 minutes if needed later in the week (not Saturday, I won't work over Saturdays!) and the manager will be happy with that.

Times will be taken from the signing on sheets at the end of the week and anyone working over 39hrs will be paid for it. Again, yes I know it's banking hours and isn't agreed. But, I much prefer this way of working. The office performs well and there now isn't a single member of staff on a temporary contract, which is obviously a really good thing instead of people not knowing if they have a job in 3 months time or whatever.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: 30 mins flexibility

Post by Pinky 1 »

Thanks for the reply .......
Seems that you have an honest manager ....... and one that is willing to stick around 'til 3 pm.
Such a rarity in these parts.
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: 30 mins flexibility

Post by OnAFlyer »

Pinky 1 wrote:Thanks for the reply .......
Seems that you have an honest manager ....... and one that is willing to stick around 'til 3 pm.
Such a rarity in these parts.
They take turns to stay late, tbh I doubt they work their full hours but probably closer than most from what I read on here. Our managers are actually reasonable too, which goes a long way towards working in a decent atmosphere. Like all offices, people do get p*ssed off when it's busy and they're struggling to complete, and managers get p*ssed off when it's busy and they're struggling to cover the walks - but generally it's a good office to work in.