ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The day I nearly crashed the postal van

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

The day I nearly crashed the postal van

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/11574207._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

IN WARTIME my father was a country postman serving villages from Grayrigg to Whitbarrow.

He had a red GPO motorbike with a shiny red box, with a rounded front for sacks of letters and parcels.

The bike had a kick-start and a hand-operated tank-side gear lever.

Occasionally my cousin from Bradford came for a few days in school holidays.

The highlight of her stay was a ride on top of the box sidecar with me.

We somehow avoided sliding off the shiny top.

My father took us to the top of Natland Brow and, crestfallen, we had to walk back. There was no path for pedestrians, but with little traffic this was not hazardous.

Later, vans replaced motorbikes and I occasionally went with him on the Sunday 2pm collection.

He had the biggest bunch of keys I had ever seen, one for each pillarbox and postbox.

That route was Natland, Sedgwick, Stainton, Endmoor, Levens, Heversham, and back to Kendal, where a town box at Collinfield was included.

Being close to the road my dad walked across the patch of grass to empty the box and not thinking of the worst situation left me with the van in gear.

Having a young schoolboy’s curiosity, I fiddled with the gear lever. Unfortunately the van was foolishly left with the handbrake off.

I had managed to move the gear lever into neutral and the van started running down the hill.

I think my dad must have been on his way back from the box as he managed to run, jump in and stop any headlong rush into the nearest wall.

I think that was the end of my Sunday afternoon tours.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: The day I nearly crashed the postal van

Post by arnold cheshire »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/11574207._/?

IN WARTIME my father was a country postman serving villages from Grayrigg to Whitbarrow.

He had a red GPO motorbike with a shiny red box, with a rounded front for sacks of letters and parcels.

The bike had a kick-start and a hand-operated tank-side gear lever.

Occasionally my cousin from Bradford came for a few days in school holidays.

The highlight of her stay was a ride on top of the box sidecar with me.

We somehow avoided sliding off the shiny top.

My father took us to the top of Natland Brow and, crestfallen, we had to walk back. There was no path for pedestrians, but with little traffic this was not hazardous.

Later, vans replaced motorbikes and I occasionally went with him on the Sunday 2pm collection.

He had the biggest bunch of keys I had ever seen, one for each pillarbox and postbox.

That route was Natland, Sedgwick, Stainton, Endmoor, Levens, Heversham, and back to Kendal, where a town box at Collinfield was included.

Being close to the road my dad walked across the patch of grass to empty the box and not thinking of the worst situation left me with the van in gear.

Having a young schoolboy’s curiosity, I fiddled with the gear lever. Unfortunately the van was foolishly left with the handbrake off.

I had managed to move the gear lever into neutral and the van started running down the hill.

I think my dad must have been on his way back from the box as he managed to run, jump in and stop any headlong rush into the nearest wall.

I think that was the end of my Sunday afternoon tours.
what a story i was hoping for a photo of the GPO motorcycle
jkarlg
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Sep 2013, 09:32
Gender: Male

Re: The day I nearly crashed the postal van

Post by jkarlg »

Nice wee story :Very Happy