ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New post lady! Few questions...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by dvbuk55 »

Barbel wrote:We're not allowed to wear wellies anymore because of Health & Safety. :roll:
Listen what you do in the privacy of the sheep pen is entirely up to you :chuckle
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Barbel »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Barbel wrote:We're not allowed to wear wellies anymore because of Health & Safety. :roll:
Listen what you do in the privacy of the sheep pen is entirely up to you :chuckle
Ha ha believe me on my round I'm surrounded by sheep so they would come in handy. :wink:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by dvbuk55 »

Barbel wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Barbel wrote:We're not allowed to wear wellies anymore because of Health & Safety. :roll:
Listen what you do in the privacy of the sheep pen is entirely up to you :chuckle
Ha ha believe me on my round I'm surrounded by sheep so they would come in handy. :wink:
:chuckle Lucky you :thumbup
findingnemo53
Posts: 9
Joined: 26 Aug 2013, 23:19
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by findingnemo53 »

Hi all! Can I ask a question related a little to the topic?
I'm also starting soon in a 25hr 3 months contract, in the info I received from RM I'm not to order any uniform as I don't exceed over the 13weeks... I am hoping that I will b kept on after the 3 months but cross that bridge when it comes.
But was wanting to know what do I wear? Do I wear my own clothes? if so is their a kinda of dress code, like plain tshirts/must wear their colours like red black ect? What about wet day will I be provide with their rain coats?
Just want to be prepared a buy a few things just incase, thanks
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by terry2972 »

i started on a 3 month contract and had to wait about 10 weeks to get my uniform just wear comfortable clothing not jeans as when they get wet its not much fun and good trainers or light weight hiking boots dont wear ordinary shoes as you will be doing a lot of walking and a waterproof coat would come in handy. Having said that depending on the size of office you are going to you might find old uniform in the office i got a waterproof jacket that way so at least i looked a bit like a postman. As I kept having to explain myself to the public the fact i was a postman but had no uniform
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by krussel »

findingnemo53 wrote:Hi all! Can I ask a question related a little to the topic?
I'm also starting soon in a 25hr 3 months contract, in the info I received from RM I'm not to order any uniform as I don't exceed over the 13weeks... I am hoping that I will b kept on after the 3 months but cross that bridge when it comes.
But was wanting to know what do I wear? Do I wear my own clothes? if so is their a kinda of dress code, like plain tshirts/must wear their colours like red black ect? What about wet day will I be provide with their rain coats?
Just want to be prepared a buy a few things just incase, thanks

As terry said don't wear jeans because if you get rained on they do not dry out and rub. Loose cotton combat trousers are ideal. Unless its below freezing your going to get quite warm walking around so lots of light layers are better than thicker ones. You can pick up a cheap waterproof coat on-line which will prob be better than the RM issue. Don't worry too much about colours but I would prob go for darker shades.

When you get to your office look around for a discarded high vis vest. Take it home and wash it and its yours.

Shoe wise I would advise to wear a pair of trainers. They will need to be well broken in, not new. Take some spare socks with you in case your feet get wet. The main thing is to avoid blisters at all costs.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
findingnemo53
Posts: 9
Joined: 26 Aug 2013, 23:19
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by findingnemo53 »

Thank you both for the reply!! :)