First of all 'Nuts, I do not believe for a single moment that you know everything and implement that knowledge consistently all of the time, (never mind your suggestion, by using US, that all old hands do too). Secondly if I was to hear you speak to anyone in two words ending with OFF or calling anyone in my office a COCK, you'd be taught a very harsh lesson in bullying, harassment and diversity; so let that be a lesson to you.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:THIS ONE IS FOR YOU EDWARD HUNTER ALSO.
After 30 years in the job you, him, god CANNOT tell me how to do the job any better.
YOU cannot train me any more than I already know
Do not come on here and say the old hands wont listen. YOU CANNOT TEACH US ANYTHING , COCK
What the f@ck is we will have a QUIET WORD.
I really wish you worked in my office and come and give me a quiet word as you would get a 2 word response ending in OFF.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
WORK PLACE COACH
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
So you never ever make a mistake and would rather a manager make it official if you did.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote: THIS ONE IS FOR YOU EDWARD HUNTER ALSO.
After 30 years in the job you, him, god CANNOT tell me how to do the job any better.
YOU cannot train me any more than I already know
Do not come on here and say the old hands wont listen. YOU CANNOT TEACH US ANYTHING , COCK
What the f@ck is we will have a QUIET WORD.
I really wish you worked in my office and come and give me a quiet word as you would get a 2 word response ending in OFF.
You then intimate that you'd risk your job by using an expletive at someone who is only doing their job.
in that I agree, you still use name calling instead of debate despite me asking you to stop doing so more than once.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:YOU CANNOT TEACH US ANYTHING
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dados
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 04 Sep 2009, 16:33
- Gender: Male
- Location: leading the 5th column
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:THIS ONE IS FOR YOU EDWARD HUNTER ALSO.dados wrote:The way I was told on my WPC course was we were being put into the office to stop managers using mistakes as a tool for going down the conduct road,main problems are numerous & probably are national,vans in shite state,frames not clear,P739's not filled in correctly,door stepping etc.
It works in our office,but the coach needs to decent,not a wannabe manager,we have a quiet word,if it happens again we then coach & make it know that they are on the radar,problem is the old hands don't/won't listen,the new starts get taught the wrong way,or don't get taught at all
But if it saves one person from getting hassled over a matter that can be easily stopped then it's a good thing
BTW I only agreed to do the course because the level of training that the new starts are getting is a joke
Latest P739 "You have a parcel" scrawled across it......that was it
After 30 years in the job you, him, god CANNOT tell me how to do the job any better.
YOU cannot train me any more than I already know
Do not come on here and say the old hands wont listen. YOU CANNOT TEACH US ANYTHING , COCK
What the f@ck is we will have a QUIET WORD.
I really wish you worked in my office and come and give me a quiet word as you would get a 2 word response ending in OFF.
Name calling,big man ,lol you are embarrassing yourself
Art as expression
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Been a WPC back in the day when it was mostly a training role, I wouldn't do the TWTTP bollocks.
To do that you have to have a great deal of respect for and from your colleagues, know the job inside out and have the kind of interpersonal skills that really need proper training.
Looking at the coaches in our office I wouldn't take advice on how to do the job from any of them but that's just a personal experience and not tarring every coach. I wouldn't tell them to f**k off, I would just tune them out in the same way I tune out management.
To do that you have to have a great deal of respect for and from your colleagues, know the job inside out and have the kind of interpersonal skills that really need proper training.
Looking at the coaches in our office I wouldn't take advice on how to do the job from any of them but that's just a personal experience and not tarring every coach. I wouldn't tell them to f**k off, I would just tune them out in the same way I tune out management.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
north london driver
- Posts: 560
- Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
well done our union (work place coach) a total waste of time and money, just another way of splitting the office.
it was just another way of our union to spread the problems that are created in our offices,managers and union reps
still agree to disagree and now a work place coach getting £1.560 before tax a year to train up part-timers or contract
staff.then we have area-managers who wont employ any staff to fill vacant duties so they can absorb these duties for nothing.
get rid of the w/p/c and share the money to the staff at xmas
it was just another way of our union to spread the problems that are created in our offices,managers and union reps
still agree to disagree and now a work place coach getting £1.560 before tax a year to train up part-timers or contract
staff.then we have area-managers who wont employ any staff to fill vacant duties so they can absorb these duties for nothing.
get rid of the w/p/c and share the money to the staff at xmas
-
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Not once did I state I don't make mistakes, every one does. Some of you work place coaches need to read the post correctly. If you don't someone will point it out to you so you do it again.
In regard to the use of the word COCK, it is something which is said regularly in my office ie Alright cock ,how,s it going.
Its a northern thing.
In regard to the use of the word COCK, it is something which is said regularly in my office ie Alright cock ,how,s it going.
Its a northern thing.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Unfortunately you make mistakes and because as you've already so elequently told us you know what to do then you will need to be retrained according to the system which has been designed for use in these situations.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:Not once did I state I don't make mistakes, every one does.
If it has been highlighted by a Manager that you have made errors in carrying out the duties then the Work Place Coach has been assigned to you for a reason. Did you think the Coaches decide to do the one to one's off their own back. Do you think that by attempting to abuse the Coach who is carrying out a reasonable request by their Manager that they will disregard that request and in doing so put their own position in jeopardy?
Your use of the word COCK only has to offend a single person once and it may land you on a rung of the conduct procedure ladder. As you can see, the majority of respondants understood it to mean something different from your now suggested meaning and that is all it takes. Additionally if you use a 'two word statement ending with OFF', you may also be taken down the coduct procedure for your abusive language. Your less than tactful suggestion that you are superior to those with less seniority is discriminatory and can also land you in hot water too.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:In regard to the use of the word COCK, it is something which is said regularly in my office ie Alright cock ,how,s it going.
Its a northern thing.
-
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
I have read your reply twice and i have no idea what you are on aboutHimaggen wrote:Unfortunately you make mistakes and because as you've already so elequently told us you know what to do then you will need to be retrained according to the system which has been designed for use in these situations.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:Not once did I state I don't make mistakes, every one does.
If it has been highlighted by a Manager that you have made errors in carrying out the duties then the Work Place Coach has been assigned to you for a reason. Did you think the Coaches decide to do the one to one's off their own back. Do you think that by attempting to abuse the Coach who is carrying out a reasonable request by their Manager that they will disregard that request and in doing so put their own position in jeopardy?
Your use of the word COCK only has to offend a single person once and it may land you on a rung of the conduct procedure ladder. As you can see, the majority of respondants understood it to mean something different from your now suggested meaning and that is all it takes. Additionally if you use a 'two word statement ending with OFF', you may also be taken down the coduct procedure for your abusive language. Your less than tactful suggestion that you are superior to those with less seniority is discriminatory and can also land you in hot water too.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:In regard to the use of the word COCK, it is something which is said regularly in my office ie Alright cock ,how,s it going.
Its a northern thing.
I am a postman, as stated 30 years,
When i started you did the job, if you COULD NOT DO THE JOB YOU GOT SACKED
We have NO NEED for people [work place coaches] who have been in the job 2,3,4 years telling someone who has done 20 years plus how to do the job.
Hey. if you think that way then good on you ,your sure to go far
By the way, when the manager points out errors as he unzips his flies do you follow his next request?
-
The_Wax_Man
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Gen response - no-one on this thread singled etc.
Jobs changed a wee bit in the last 30 years, last 20 years, last 10 years, last 5 years and within the last year. - It always changes, it has too.
To work with blinkers on and not accept, listen, understand or accept any new methods in way of working can only hinder what you do.
Is there a need for WPC's - I'm not sure. - What I am sure about is understanding what is happening, what out there 'could' be beneficial to the daily job. If someone is trying to explain an efficient, new way of working, it's worth listening too.
What I'm not sure about is something you have been doing on a daily basis for a long time, then make a simple mistake residential mis direct' for example etc then have to get called in for a WPC session. - That's just degrading. - It's easier to accept the mess up, eat the humble pie, get called a tosser by the lino and move on.
This business is getting to be one of concentrating on the minor things and letting the bigger ones slip by. WPC has not been means tested on the 'Staff motivation' list I can assure you...
I can understand why senior guys get the arse on getting hauled up for the trivial stuff. But never close your mind,eyes, ways to learning.

Jobs changed a wee bit in the last 30 years, last 20 years, last 10 years, last 5 years and within the last year. - It always changes, it has too.
To work with blinkers on and not accept, listen, understand or accept any new methods in way of working can only hinder what you do.
Is there a need for WPC's - I'm not sure. - What I am sure about is understanding what is happening, what out there 'could' be beneficial to the daily job. If someone is trying to explain an efficient, new way of working, it's worth listening too.
What I'm not sure about is something you have been doing on a daily basis for a long time, then make a simple mistake residential mis direct' for example etc then have to get called in for a WPC session. - That's just degrading. - It's easier to accept the mess up, eat the humble pie, get called a tosser by the lino and move on.
This business is getting to be one of concentrating on the minor things and letting the bigger ones slip by. WPC has not been means tested on the 'Staff motivation' list I can assure you...
I can understand why senior guys get the arse on getting hauled up for the trivial stuff. But never close your mind,eyes, ways to learning.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
I'll spell it out for you, it appears that you may need to be trained first and foremost in how to be non discriminatory, non offensive and respectful to others. It is a business standard.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:I have read your reply twice and i have no idea what you are on about
I believe it is recognised that after a period of five years in a particular role, seniority does not prove any skill set advantage. Based on that, I'm going to suggest to you that any OPG with five years service and appropriate WPC training is perfectly capable of delivering any OPG 'coaching' which has been identified as required.Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:I am a postman, as stated 30 years,
When i started you did the job, if you COULD NOT DO THE JOB YOU GOT SACKED
We have NO NEED for people [work place coaches] who have been in the job 2,3,4 years telling someone who has done 20 years plus how to do the job.
If, as you suggest, a 20 year service OPG does have a greater skill set than one of less service then you have also highlighted that there is a training need; (to equalize the skill set throughout the work force). How therefore do you suggest that is done?
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Maybe you should tell the managers that.I'll spell it out for you, it appears that you may need to be trained first and foremost in how to be non discriminatory, non offensive and respectful to others. It is a business standard.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
redandblue
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 21:42
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
Surely less work for our already over worked managers, can only be a good thing.
I'm buying shares in our coffee machine provider. Takings are going to go through the roof.
I'm buying shares in our coffee machine provider. Takings are going to go through the roof.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
"let he who is without sin cast the first stone"General Mannerheim wrote:Maybe you should tell the managers that.I'll spell it out for you, it appears that you may need to be trained first and foremost in how to be non discriminatory, non offensive and respectful to others. It is a business standard.![]()
"two wrongs don't make a right"
This is not 'do as other do', don't start complaining about how other treat others, if you cannot exercise some control in how you treat others yourself.
I am willing to agree that the management structure in Royal Mail is probably the most disrespectful, discriminatory and down right offensive I have ever had the misfortune to come across but that should not pressure me to follow suit. Standing up to it and attempting to fight it is the only way to minimize or stop it, joining in merely exacerbates the problem.
-
MegaWalk
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 22:49
- Gender: Male
Re: WORK PLACE COACH
I think the responses on here show that the WPC job is not an easy role.
I agree that most senior members of staff have a great skill set ( as do others )
In my experience ( 20+ years ) I have yet to meet a postperson who doesn't try to do the job to the best of their ability.
Some peeps are just better than others at different tasks.
I do believe the WPC structure lends itself to a degree of abuse by the management - some coaches are probably wise to this and can avoid the pitfalls.
I would honestly like to see more involvement of the coaches at our unit for the "bread and butter" issues ( for example new practices being fully explained and new staff being properly introduced to the role ) as at present I dont see that in action.
Its good to debate these issues - who knows some of the WPC reading these views might be influenced in a positive way.
The coaches can indeed provide a service for the workforce - but management need to let them do that properly and within the agreed framework.
I agree that most senior members of staff have a great skill set ( as do others )
In my experience ( 20+ years ) I have yet to meet a postperson who doesn't try to do the job to the best of their ability.
Some peeps are just better than others at different tasks.
I do believe the WPC structure lends itself to a degree of abuse by the management - some coaches are probably wise to this and can avoid the pitfalls.
I would honestly like to see more involvement of the coaches at our unit for the "bread and butter" issues ( for example new practices being fully explained and new staff being properly introduced to the role ) as at present I dont see that in action.
Its good to debate these issues - who knows some of the WPC reading these views might be influenced in a positive way.
The coaches can indeed provide a service for the workforce - but management need to let them do that properly and within the agreed framework.