ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New post lady! Few questions...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Good Luck with the Induction Training Fay............. Don't pay too much attention to half of what we moan about on here. If you did you'd probably not turn up for work on your first day.

We're just a bunch of cynical old realists that have been around the block a few times. Eventually you will see EVERYTHING in Royal Mail! :shock: From Posties posting Dog Turds through some awkward customers letterbox to customers asking you if you can cut their toenails for them! :crazy:

Just remember all Delivery Offices, and managers , are different. You get good and bad ones, and that goes for Posties as well!
As for your Uniform Query, I'd go for the please yourself angle. I've been in DOs where half the staff look like tramps and nothing was ever said. :shhhhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
fay_elizabeth
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 12:53
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by fay_elizabeth »

Thank you Dorset.

To be honest I've found this forum half helpful (tips on what to wear, take with you, training day explained) and half reealllly unhelpful (the 'trust no one' warnings)

I'm still looking forward to my first day, going to try and take it as it comes. Not reading anymore on here for the time being though, think its making me more nervous!
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by kirstyx »

my office is in the south west as well not far from bristol and we were told last year even with all the floods that we were not allowed under any circumstances to wear wellies, which we argued as have a number of rural routes but didnt get us anywhere. good luck for starting i wouldnt bother with tights either you can always get football socks which the guys in our office wear with shorts in the winter
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by dvbuk55 »

Senior Service wrote:You used to be able to get Royal Mail willies. I know because I have some.
Well could you send me one please, anything over a foot will do :chuckle :chuckle
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by da'bunny »

fay_elizabeth wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas :crazy:
Ah good old sexism. Glad to see its rife amongst the RM ranks. :roll:
Be prepared for the banter take it with a pinch of salt and always give as good as you get :wink:
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by bustedflush »

Yes, you get the travel reimbursed, it comes through on a separate payslip. Your DIM (manager) will claim it for you on the system.

Do NOT wear wellies. Wear your most comfortable grippy trainers until footwear is issued. Your legs will be aching for the first couple of weeks. As for cutting off, for the rest of this week you should be out with a pair of posties, so in fact you'll all likely finish early with the extra pair of legs.
You don't work a week-in-hand so you'll be paid this week. If you last 6months your pay automatically goes up 50p an hour, then again after 12 months. Tights will be ripped to shreds after manoeuvring yourself between hedges and parked cars on drives, scraping down walls through 18-inch gaps etc. plus the obligatory overgrown garden with trailing brambles.
You'll likely be kept on the same round for first few weeks until you get up to speed. Then the stress starts as you move to new frames with new partners each week, or even a few times a week.
Be prepared for some posties to be impatient with you if they think they won't finish early because you are new and slower as a result. Most are friendly and understanding but when push comes to shove it's each man for themselves.
Join the union after say a month or 6 weeks when you know for sure you'll be able to hack it.
And good luck!
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by oldrope »

fay_elizabeth wrote:Hi Guys!

So, I am starting as a post lady on Wednesday in Westbury-on-trym (Bristol) on a 24 hour, 6 month contract and I am super excited but also super nervous! I just have a few random questions that I hoped someone might be able to answer for me.

I'm keen to go for the shorts option with uniform as I am not a fan of the trousers. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear tights underneath them? Random question I know! Also, are you allowed to wear wellies? I think they are the only waterproof footwear I have.

Another thing, my training day tomorrow is in Swindon, can I claim back the travel expenses? It says I have to be there by 9am or I'll be turned away at the door. This means leaving my house at 6am, getting a bus, a train and a taxi! If I'm late, will I really get turned away?

One last question - When you guys say 'cut off' when on your round, what does this mean?


One more thing Change you user name.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by saddlerposty »

fay_elizabeth wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:tights under shorts are ok, but stockings will get you more tips come xmas :crazy:
Ah good old sexism. Glad to see its rife amongst the RM ranks. :roll:
its not just staff, you wait until you meet some of your customers.
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by El-Bandito »

You can expect some of the following.
1.Just to say that there is no such thing as a post lady. This is the 21st century after all.
2. You are now a post-person. Depending which office you deliver from,you are now a number.Some may say,welcome. Sceptics will say welcome to hell.
Welcome to royal mail chat.


I personally quote, nsf. Don't let the Bastarts grind you down...
gonneslinger
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by gonneslinger »

Welcome to the Jungle...
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by bustedflush »

gonneslinger wrote:Welcome to the Jungle...
........"it gets worse here every day...."
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:left: One of my favorite Guns and Roses tracks

Used to sing it to newbies in Belize a lot. :Very Happy

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Sidley »

Agree with the advice of changing your username if it is your real name or makes you easily identifiable. Bosses and other undesirables trawl this site and could use any posts to cause trouble for any posters they can i.d.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote::left: One of my favorite Guns and Roses tracks

Used to sing it to newbies in Belize a lot. :Very Happy
That must have been a helluva round how many bags was that?
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: New post lady! Few questions...

Post by Barbel »

We're not allowed to wear wellies anymore because of Health & Safety. :roll: