http://www.ilkestonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... -1-6882751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman from Ilkeston has ditched the booze for a month as part of Macmillan Cancer Support’s Go Sober for October campaign.
Darren Travis, 39, who donated bone marrow to his brother Carl, said the support the family received from the charity at the time was fantastic.
He said: “I do a lot for cancer charities and I’m an early morning postman so am restricted to when I can drink.
“I did the one in January and my energy levels were phenomenal afterwards.
“It’s a great thing to do because our family have been affected by cancer. My brother had lymphoblastic lymphoma almost 15 years ago and I was a bone marrow donor for him. I’ve seen how people suffer and wanted to give something back.
“When my brother was being treated the charity arranged rooms for us to sleep.
“I don’t have a fundraising target. I just want to raise as much as possible. I think anybody should do the same.
“It’s nothing, it’s 31 days. People who have cancer would love to have 31 days to do something. Some people get diagnosed and their lives end within weeks.
He added: “I see life completely differently now - knowing I have done something that saved my brother’s life. I don’t want a medal, I would do it for anyone.
“If patients needed to talk Macmillan were always there.”
Darren is encouraging others to sign up to the donor register, which he said is like giving blood.
He will be best man at Carl’s wedding next year and said that staying off the booze for a month will also help him lose weight. You can sponsor Darren at gosober.org.uk.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postie ditches ale for sober October
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postie ditches ale for sober October
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postie ditches ale for sober October
Darren said: “I’m an early morning postman so am restricted to when I can drink".
Aren't we all ?
"He said that staying off the booze for a month will also help him lose weight"
Relying always on exercise I had never thought of trying that. 
"He said that staying off the booze for a month will also help him lose weight"