http://www.monmouth-today.co.uk/news.cf ... oes%20trek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now in the seventh week of his 1,000-mile marathon charity walk from John o’ Groats to Land’s End, Paul Northey has just hit the 900-mile mark.
The former Monmouth postman is hoping to raise thousands for Help for Heroes and walked into his home town of Monmouth on Saturday 27th September.
Averaging 17 miles a day, he has been on painkillers the past few weeks for a fallen arch in his foot, having worn one set of boots out already.
Carrying a 50lb rucksack, he has paid for the walk out of his own pocket, spending half his time camping, and half bed-and-breakfast.
The least number of miles he covered in a day was six, when he was ill, the most was 25.
“It’s a lot harder than I thought, but it is going well and I am really enjoying it,” he told the Beacon last week (Friday 3rd October).
“People have been really kind and let me stay on their farms,” Paul added.
“I can always tell what fast-food restaurant is coming up by the rubbish on the road.
“I also keep seeing gloves, an amazing number of gloves, thousands of lorry drivers’ gloves, and loads of L plates.”
He aims to finish his walk this Saturday (11th October) and his wife Lorraine and other family members are hoping to join him for the last leg of his walk.
He has had a letter from Prince Harry’s team wishing him luck and asking to be kept up-to-date with the walk.
If anyone is interested in donating anything from £1 upwards to Paul’s walk, go to http://www.bmycharity.com/paulnorthey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This will not be the end of his fundraising efforts as he plans to take part in the ice-bucket challenge at the Mayhill pub and he will also be getting sponsorship for styling his moustache, rather than shave it off.
All content © of Monmouthshire Beacon unless stated otherwise.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
Brilliant effort,just a shame it's for that charity,not the best forces charity
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
BLESMA, RBL, SSAFA , RAFBF, ABF, RNBF ...........................DB1100 wrote:Brilliant effort,just a shame it's for that charity,not the best forces charity
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
Look here http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/charitie ... x-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the list runs to hundreds.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:BLESMA, RBL, SSAFA , RAFBF, ABF, RNBF ...........................DB1100 wrote:Brilliant effort,just a shame it's for that charity,not the best forces charity
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
Indeed, and I remember two years ago Newsnight and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism examined the way the UK treats its wounded returned soldiers and veterans, and alleged that despite the millions of pounds raised for ‘our boys’, they are still not getting the care they need.DB1100 wrote:Brilliant effort,just a shame it's for that charity,not the best forces charity
The investigators said that military charities across the UK raise over £700m each year and spend just under £500m on charitable purposes. They also collectively boast reserves of more than £1bn.
Regarding Help for Heroes specifically, former servicemen interviewed by the programme alleged that the charity was too close to the Ministry of Defence and had ended up spending most of its donations on capital construction projects (such as the restoration of Tedworth House recovery centre, pictured) at the behest of the government.
Former Royal Marine Ben McBean, who lost a leg and an arm on duty and is a patron of Help for Heroes, told the programme: “Rather than spending £100m on limbs for every single guy who has been injured, the MoD has been able to get all these Gucci buildings out of it.”
Critics also said the charity focuses its support on still-serving soldiers, and once personnel are discharged from the services, treatment is much harder to access.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Monmouth postman nears the end of Help for Heroes trek
I do my charity work for ABF or the Veterans charity,in the past I have raised money for H4H but after reading about how they have turned pre GW1 vets away decided that they wouldn't benefit from my efforts,Blesma and SSAFA and RBL are all worthy charities as are Regimental ones,you have to be so careful nowadays as their are many charlatans about,another one that is very good is pilgrimbandits,I send them my xmas stamps.I know it's wrong to give my stamps away but I'm not bothered I won't use them so they might as well go to a good cause.
For we were soldiers once,and young