ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.inverurieherald.co.uk/news/g ... -1-3557569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As someone who has lived through the excesses of the beauacracy we enjoy in the UK, you might think nothing would faze me when dealing with one the institutions who has helped give the nation the reputation of being one of that promotes red tape.

And yet there I was last week finding myself being jaw - dropping gobsmacked by the Post Office’s ability to surprise. After all I was only trying to redirect the mail of a friend who is no longer able to cope with his own affairs.

The process of having mail re-directed is in fact quite straight forward. All you have to do is fill in a basic form, hand over your money - no cheques accepted, and the ultra efficient PO will do the rest.

Mind you the form does have its quirky questions, including the need to know if there is a dog at the new address. I would have thought our brave girls and guys who deliver our mail would be well up to dealing with a mere dog. Or did I miss the point of the question? Was the Post Office trying to dodge any claim after mail is chewed up by a four legged friend. I’ll never know, nor was I tempted to say no we do not have a dog, but occasionally dog-sit for my Deeside son.

The real issue was the one of identity after filling in the form, and presented my driving licence as proof of who I was, I was staggered to be asked for further identity in the shape of two paid utility bills.

At this point I exploded in best Victor Meldrum style: “You have to be joking,” was met with a quiet smile, borne of long time dealings with impatient old people like myself.

I recovered to apologise, and signed up for all the requirements, even if I thought £59.44 for re-directing mail for a year was a bit steep, although I refrained from making any observation.

Last week I was happy to praise the democratic process we have been through in Scotland

I am, however, less happy, or impressed by our various politicians, and in their attitudes. Starting with our soon to be no more First Minister Alex Salmond who in my opinion was most unwise to lay the blame for the defeat in the referendum on the over 65’s. Attacking mature citizens, experienced in the ways of the full of false promises politicians was not clever, while bordering on poor sportsmanship.

But just in case Mr Salmond thinks I am picking on him, my lack of regard for Ed Miliband after his forgetful party conference speech is such that I have difficulty in seeing him as Prime Minister in - waiting. Not that the current incumbent David Cameron has exactly covered himself in glory, all of which leads me believe there is no chance of an 87% turnout at next year’s General Election.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by wannabeek »

So this geezer would have been happy if they'd accepted that any Joe who'd half-inched his wallet with driving licence in it could then go and redirect all his mail to any address they liked? Jeez, some people! :crazy:

If something as minor as that he finds 'gobsmacking' I can only suggest he gets out more and encounters a few more of life's little inconveniences to put thing in perspective a little better!
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by raikky »

hmmm just about everything you sign up for needs 2 forms of id. has this idiot been living under a rock.

and the question about dogs. we don't give a s**t if your dog is gonna chew up your post once its through the mail box, that's your responsibility. we don't like getting our hands and legs etc bitten, and I don't like being chased by them.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by Lounge Lizard »

A 'yes' vote would have saved us from such nonsense. :wave :sad:
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by Bahia Feliz »

2 things,firstly he said the redirection was for a friend,Can you set up a redirection for someone else over a p.o counter?
Secondly £59.44 'a bit steep' for a year redirection!! £1 something a week??????? Typical tight arse Jock :Boo hoo!
p.s Do Whistl (TNT) offer a redirection service yet?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by Creditshampoo »

They ask if there is a dog at the new address because it's just nice to know the house has a dog, what a silly thing to say.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Gobsmacked over the process to re-direct mail

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Bahia Feliz wrote:2 things,firstly he said the redirection was for a friend,Can you set up a redirection for someone else over a p.o counter?
Secondly £59.44 'a bit steep' for a year redirection!! £1 something a week??????? Typical tight arse Jock :Boo hoo!
p.s Do Whistl (TNT) offer a redirection service yet?
How can £59.44 be 'a bit steep' for a year redirection ? :arrrghhh
Just under 20p per working day for checking if anything needs redirecting, then if it does readdressing it all and sending it maybe halfway across the country. :Very Happy A bargain. :nana
Not that TNT are offering such a service. :sad: