ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by Postie45 »

i luv saturdays wrote:6 months since I resigned from RM.... [10 year service] I earn less money.....I miss the banter ever so slightly
I don't work Saturdays anymore, I have loads more energy, I don't feel stressed anymore, I'm smiling more
I have a social life again, I can get to the footie on a Saturday, I never get piss wet through anymore
I feel like a new person I can do things with family and friend I couldn't do before......My honest opinion
is that you don't realise what an awful "donkey work job" it is being a postman until you get out!.....really crap job.....just my opinion!!
good for you
Personally, I get wet through maybe once a year (maybe im lucky ?) I dont have any stress, the managers know I will play by the book, once they know that, theres not much they can do to put pressure on. Yes, working Saturdays is a pain, but then we do get good AL allocation, always nice to finish early - mid afternoon and can decide whether to rest up or do something with the rest of the day.
You can really make this job work for you if you play by the rules, maybe thats not easy in every situation, but I think some postmen create their own problems mainly by rushing.
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by tonytucker »

Totally agree mate!job ain't too bad!its just the late Saturdays.used to go football every week home and away now it's a push to make the home games.
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by 2pints »

Best job i have had.I would hate to be a bus driver,any job where you are sat on your backside all day is my idea of hell.I love to keep moving and get my heart pumping.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by OnAFlyer »

Judgee wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.


I can't help thinking what an easy walk you must have to think like that! :hmmmm :so there
No, average for the office and we pretty much work our full hours, cutting off all the time near to Christmas. Then again I don't smoke like a chimney like many other posties, and I cycle 100 miles per week too as well as having young children so I don't find a delivery particularly tiring.

I don't start early or work over either apart from the odd 15-20 minutes now and again.
987654321
Posts: 14
Joined: 13 Mar 2011, 09:16
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by 987654321 »

ive had around 30 jobs .ive now been a postie for 5 years ,and the truth is its loads better than alot of the other shite out there.posting a few pieces of paper through doors and carrying a few packets about for 4.5 hours a day is not hard work no matter what the weathers like.you wanna try running up and down a ladder for 9 hours a day with 12 bricks in a hod.or knocking about 60 foot on top of a roof in pissing rain and a semi gale trying to fix a roof tile. or working in a mushroom factory picking mushrooms out of horseshit and putting them in a brain numbing stinking box. or standing on a door at a ropey nightclub getting torrents of abuse from drunken no mark teenagers.or setting off to work on a monday at 4am and not getting home till friday at 6pm after spending the week doing menial tasks in some rat ridden town on some hole of a building site no ones ever heard of 200 miles from home whilst spending your evenings in a damp leaking caravan with 4 other downtrodden depressed men who want to get home to there families. some of you people dont know your born .good luck in your new career.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by aiden01 »

987654321 wrote:ive had around 30 jobs .ive now been a postie for 5 years ,and the truth is its loads better than alot of the other shite out there.posting a few pieces of paper through doors and carrying a few packets about for 4.5 hours a day is not hard work no matter what the weathers like.you wanna try running up and down a ladder for 9 hours a day with 12 bricks in a hod.or knocking about 60 foot on top of a roof in pissing rain and a semi gale trying to fix a roof tile. or working in a mushroom factory picking mushrooms out of horseshit and putting them in a brain numbing stinking box. or standing on a door at a ropey nightclub getting torrents of abuse from drunken no mark teenagers.or setting off to work on a monday at 4am and not getting home till friday at 6pm after spending the week doing menial tasks in some rat ridden town on some hole of a building site no ones ever heard of 200 miles from home whilst spending your evenings in a damp leaking caravan with 4 other downtrodden depressed men who want to get home to there families. some of you people dont know your born .good luck in your new career.
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by cyrus »

987654321 wrote:ive had around 30 jobs .ive now been a postie for 5 years ,and the truth is its loads better than alot of the other shite out there.posting a few pieces of paper through doors and carrying a few packets about for 4.5 hours a day is not hard work no matter what the weathers like.you wanna try running up and down a ladder for 9 hours a day with 12 bricks in a hod.or knocking about 60 foot on top of a roof in pissing rain and a semi gale trying to fix a roof tile. or working in a mushroom factory picking mushrooms out of horseshit and putting them in a brain numbing stinking box. or standing on a door at a ropey nightclub getting torrents of abuse from drunken no mark teenagers.or setting off to work on a monday at 4am and not getting home till friday at 6pm after spending the week doing menial tasks in some rat ridden town on some hole of a building site no ones ever heard of 200 miles from home whilst spending your evenings in a damp leaking caravan with 4 other downtrodden depressed men who want to get home to there families. some of you people dont know your born .good luck in your new career.

Things have changed since you have started then :wink: "Ive worked there 3 month and nobody starts on time .im like the other bloke, if i come in 10 minutes early i feel like im late. not enjoying this rm experience really"
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by Dalelad »

Don't get me wrong, I too enjoyed the job and the hourly rate is arguably one of the best out there for unskilled work. But the old school guys are sitting pretty in their full time jobs. Also the part time posties with partners who have lucrative full time jobs are happy as Larry. But for guys like me that are ambitious and are the main earner in the household, this jobs nothing more than a stepping stone. I wish i'd have applied for a position 15 years ago, then I would have been quite happy to pound the streets til retirement. When RM have achieved their objective of making the entire work force part time, there will be poeple like me coming and going everyday. They will have to install a revolving door at every DO!!
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by Nondescript »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Judgee wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.


I can't help thinking what an easy walk you must have to think like that! :hmmmm :so there
No, average for the office and we pretty much work our full hours, cutting off all the time near to Christmas. Then again I don't smoke like a chimney like many other posties, and I cycle 100 miles per week too as well as having young children so I don't find a delivery particularly tiring.

I don't start early or work over either apart from the odd 15-20 minutes now and again.
Terrain plays a massive part in how difficult the job is. I recently moved offices, from one end of the country to the other, and the duties at my new office are about the same length as at my old office, but are much more tiring owing to the hillier terrain, even for a non-smoking cyclist with a BMI of 22 such as myself.
postslippete
Posts: 4201
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by postslippete »

987654321 wrote:ive had around 30 jobs .ive now been a postie for 5 years ,and the truth is its loads better than alot of the other shite out there.posting a few pieces of paper through doors and carrying a few packets about for 4.5 hours a day is not hard work no matter what the weathers like.you wanna try running up and down a ladder for 9 hours a day with 12 bricks in a hod.or knocking about 60 foot on top of a roof in pissing rain and a semi gale trying to fix a roof tile. or working in a mushroom factory picking mushrooms out of horseshit and putting them in a brain numbing stinking box. or standing on a door at a ropey nightclub getting torrents of abuse from drunken no mark teenagers.or setting off to work on a monday at 4am and not getting home till friday at 6pm after spending the week doing menial tasks in some rat ridden town on some hole of a building site no ones ever heard of 200 miles from home whilst spending your evenings in a damp leaking caravan with 4 other downtrodden depressed men who want to get home to there families. some of you people dont know your born .good luck in your new career.


I agree. Ive had some terrible jobs before working for the post office. Working in a factory sticking happy birthday on cakes or constantly being pressurised to hit sales targets everyday from your store manager for example.

The only thing I don't like about RM is all this rubbish about career progression/development and "our" people. In the many years that Ive worked there, Ive trained as a PHG and CSS Operator and on both occasions I had to go back on delivery. Im sad about not working on CSS because although I was cover, I really miss the night shift allowance. We also got paid for door to doors, even though we never delivered any!! They wanted to cut costs and now there are now only 4 CSS operators (compared to 7 of us when we were trained up 2 years ago). Ive even done a NVQ which I am, of course, eternally grateful for (like a few of my colleagues) but we have never really had to use it...

At times, I do feel sorry for some of our "rookie" managers. They look totally inept at times in the face of having to cut costs and lapse duties. But then again, it does give me chance to do a little overtime where required.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by Judgee »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Judgee wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
I can't help thinking how completely out of shape some people must be if this job totally knackers them out every day.


I can't help thinking what an easy walk you must have to think like that! :hmmmm :so there
No, average for the office and we pretty much work our full hours, cutting off all the time near to Christmas. Then again I don't smoke like a chimney like many other posties, and I cycle 100 miles per week too as well as having young children so I don't find a delivery particularly tiring.

I don't start early or work over either apart from the odd 15-20 minutes now and again.

So you cycle 100 miles a week and find the job easy and yet assume just because other posties find the job physically hard they must be really unfit? So what we should all cycle 100 miles a week like you and then we'd have nothing to moan about is that what you think? Rigggggggght whatever you say! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Johnrch8
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 May 2010, 07:58
Gender: Male

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by Johnrch8 »

This has perked me up. I've just triggered a stage 3 so I'm gone. I won't miss the job, I've had 19 year's of work mates and managers taking the piss out of me and I've had enough.I work in the mail centre and their version of teamwork is to do as little as possible and to load their work onto people who do work. The managers leave the lazy bast Ards alone and concentrate on getting onto the backs of the workers. All I want to do is to do my job and I still end up with sarcastic comments or even a bollocking from the managers. Once I work my notice I will get a security qualification and go into that line of work.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: LIFE!! after Royal Mail

Post by DirtyHarry »

Easily the worst job I've ever had, and the worst employers I've ever worked for.