ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Horsham Postman lifts strongman title

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Horsham Postman lifts strongman title

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/loc ... -1-6338072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



A postman from Horsham has been left feeling ‘over the moon’ after winning a recent strongman competition.

Brett Miles, 28,from Roffey, took part in the event at Henfield Leisure Centre last Saturday September 28, and over five rounds was crowned champion in his category.

He said: “It was a shock to do so well as I only had three weeks to prepare. My friend pointed this event out to me and said ‘Brett you should do this’ and I thought why not. I was over the moon just to be taking part let alone win.”

The afternoon was split into three categories. There was an over 105kg category, an under 105kg category and a women’s category. Brett weighs just over 94kg so was put into the lower event and was one of the smallest taking part which is why he was so surprised to win.

He said: “I have never competed in sport before, I normally just spend time going to the gym. There were people that just managed to scrape into the category weighing 104kg so it was challenging. I couldn’t believe that I won.”

The competition is similar to the one that is shown on television. Brett competed in five different rounds including a 180kg dead lift, a 100kg sandbag carry and a 100kg stone carry. Brett said it is much harder than it looks on television.

“It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do,” he said. “My body by the end of it was exhausted. A lot of people watch it on the telly and say I could lift 100kg. They don’t understand how heavy that is. I consider myself to be quite a fit guy as I go to the gym a lot and work as a postman but I was so exhausted by the end of it.”

This is the first time that the leisure centre has held the strongman competition and Brett said that he would return next year to defend his title.

“I will definitely do it again. It was a great day out and the blokes I was competing against were really good guys. I want to try out for more events in the future.”

Brett was also very grateful and a little bit starstruck that former UK strongman runner-up Lloyd Renals came down to judge the competition.

“He is a great guy and for him to take the time out of his day like that is great. He is a top bloke.” The event was run to raise funds for an extension of the centre for a soft play area, and attracted competitors from all across the country.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Horsham Postman lifts strongman title

Post by DB1100 »

Well done to him.
For we were soldiers once,and young
steve1812
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: Horsham Postman lifts strongman title

Post by steve1812 »

Well done Brett i think you have a great future in power lifting and at 28 years old you certainly have a long time in it if you want , i wish i had started at your age but at 51 and a postman i don't have the strength to raise a smile let alone over 100kg weights so look after your joints and keep on lifting we all hope to hear more about you in the future and once again WELL DONE .
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Horsham Postman lifts strongman title

Post by bustedflush »

Well done for the win!

Next he'll get a bollocking for carrying over 10kg in his pouch............ :Very Happy