http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/opinion/ ... -1-6287052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have recently been acting as a volunteer ‘postman’ delivering dozens of invitations to a forthcoming event for families whose children have been baptised during the past year at St Faith’s Church, Gaywood.
I was delivering the invitations all over the Fairstead estate and the more recently newly-developed, neighbouring King’s Reach estate.
I enjoy walking, but what turned my task into something of a nightmare was what appeared to me to be a complete lack of signing of roads and clusters of housing on Fairstead Estate.
I found the layout of the streets, closes and crescents on King’s Reach estate equally puzzling, but at least there were numbers on the doors.
With few exceptions, there were whole areas of housing on Fairstead Estate where I couldn’t see any road or area name signs and don’t even get me started on the numbering system which doesn’t appear to follow any logical sequence. Many of the doors do not have numbers.
At one point, my frustration growing by the second, I asked a man standing in his garden if he knew where a particular area of housing was and he told me he has lived on the estate for over 40 years and he had never heard of it.
There is one large street map on the Winston Churchill Drive main entrance into the Fairstead estate, but that is of little help if you find yourself, as I did, in the centre of the estate with no visible road names. Surely it would be more helpful to have map boards on display in each of the different areas of the estate.
I find it difficult to understand how Freebridge Housing can spend a reported £35 million on giving the Hillington Square flats complex in the centre of King’s Lynn a “new look”, and yet it can’t find a few thousand pounds to provide an adequate and clear name signage system on Fairstead estate.
Richard Parr, Gaywood
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
Next time, leave it to the experts
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
If I can't find it I endorse it and take it back,no problem,better than misdeliverydeltaforce wrote:Next time, leave it to the experts
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
framusjsx
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
try doing a rural blind when half the houses dont have names on a sign!
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Letter: So difficult for Mr Postman on estates
If I hadn't had any training,I would endorse em and bring them back,no problemframusjsx wrote:try doing a rural blind when half the houses dont have names on a sign!
For we were soldiers once,and young