ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

how to progress?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by janitor »

Why RM buy X amount of hours not X amount work, so they pay you for the hours you work not the work you do in those hours.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: how to progress?

Post by DB1100 »

Jamesethefirst wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
deltaforce wrote:Oh you cynical lot you! Without new managers stepping up to the plate, what we going to moan about?
Workload,D2ds,lapsing,P.d.a,s,vans,wcm,backless frames,hi vizvest's and sh1tty uncomfortable trainers for a start.
And your plan for the rest of the day is?
Go home happy,having left all my grief at work.
For we were soldiers once,and young
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by postslippete »

Have you ever climbed the ladder to realise that it was leaning on the wrong wall ?? :crazy: lol


It happened when the bigwigs at the top was intending to reduce 1,600 roles mainly in managerial/admin back in March this year. And I know a lot of us have a moan and a winge, but can you imagine having to deal with 30 odd whingers everyday?? It cant be easy being forced to collapsed more duties by your DOM either.

However, if you have set sights on something higher like the operations graduate scheme, well more power to you!! Im sure your gaffer will be delighted to give you an outstanding reference - after all you may only be working ABOVE them and telling them what to do !!

Why not annouce it to all colleagues in the next daily huddle?? :left:
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
lew1275
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by lew1275 »

It bugs me people saying do not progress. Just because you don't want to doesn't mean others want to stay put. I myself want to progress in RM but the opportunities are not there now it seems? I have gone through the advanced apprenticeship scheme and deputy manager course. Been on numerous other courses and have gained recognised qualifications however I'm still a postie most of the time and only ever called to do deputy manager work as and when required. It is a shame...the amount of money the company must have spent sending me on these courses and I'm not being utilised. Good old typical RM I guess you think they would want to be helping their staff climb the ladder (those who want to). :crazy:

I have to 2 colleagues in my office (we are all in our early twenties) who both have degrees but never made it passed the interview/ selection stages for both the Graduate Program and recently the Project Management Apprenticeship. Maybe something new will open up in the future?

Ps just for the record being a deputy manager is pretty rubbish- for someone my age anyway. The grief and hassle you get is not worth the extra £70-80 (after tax) a week. I do a couple of SA's and get the same amount.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: how to progress?

Post by DB1100 »

lew1275 wrote:It bugs me people saying do not progress. Just because you don't want to doesn't mean others want to stay put. I myself want to progress in RM but the opportunities are not there now it seems? I have gone through the advanced apprenticeship scheme and deputy manager course. Been on numerous other courses and have gained recognised qualifications however I'm still a postie most of the time and only ever called to do deputy manager work as and when required. It is a shame...the amount of money the company must have spent sending me on these courses and I'm not being utilised. Good old typical RM I guess you think they would want to be helping their staff climb the ladder (those who want to). :crazy:

I have to 2 colleagues in my office (we are all in our early twenties) who both have degrees but never made it passed the interview/ selection stages for both the Graduate Program and recently the Project Management Apprenticeship. Maybe something new will open up in the future?

Ps just for the record being a deputy manager is pretty rubbish- for someone my age anyway. The grief and hassle you get is not worth the extra £70-80 (after tax) a week. I do a couple of SA's and get the same amount.
If I was in my early 20's again I would reenlist in a heartbeat,far better than wasting the best years of your life in dead end job like this,I do sympathise with the people that have 20 + years in because it must be tragic to see how far a once great company has fallen.I'm just finishing off my working life here.
For we were soldiers once,and young
mattymann
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:06
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by mattymann »

lew1275 wrote:It bugs me people saying do not progress. Just because you don't want to doesn't mean others want to stay put. I myself want to progress in RM but the opportunities are not there now it seems? I have gone through the advanced apprenticeship scheme and deputy manager course. Been on numerous other courses and have gained recognised qualifications however I'm still a postie most of the time and only ever called to do deputy manager work as and when required. It is a shame...the amount of money the company must have spent sending me on these courses and I'm not being utilised. Good old typical RM I guess you think they would want to be helping their staff climb the ladder (those who want to). :crazy:

I have to 2 colleagues in my office (we are all in our early twenties) who both have degrees but never made it passed the interview/ selection stages for both the Graduate Program and recently the Project Management Apprenticeship. Maybe something new will open up in the future?

Ps just for the record being a deputy manager is pretty rubbish- for someone my age anyway. The grief and hassle you get is not worth the extra £70-80 (after tax) a week. I do a couple of SA's and get the same amount.
So how did you get them to send you on these courses?? I haven't heard or seen anything, I'm 35 now so graduate schemes and apprenticeships are out, and did you have to travel ridiculous distances for these courses?
lew1275
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by lew1275 »

If I was in my early 20's again I would reenlist in a heartbeat,far better than wasting the best years of your life in dead end job like this,I do sympathise with the people that have 20 + years in because it must be tragic to see how far a once great company has fallen.I'm just finishing off my working life here.
I never envisioned RM to be a long term career but it's provided me with a means to an end as I am studying towards something else outside of work. Whilst the job has changed even in the 5.5 years I've worked here I still consider it to have been a good employer. When I compare my job with the vast majority of my friends I do count myself lucky. I would say I work with a great bunch of people (not all but most) and I guess that's what makes the job enjoyable (In my DO at least).

I would say to the OP if he wants to get an understanding of different roles in the business then perhaps speak to your DOM or DSM and see if any vacancies are in the region (if you are willing to travel that is) or perhaps ask if you could shadow a manager for a day to get an insight into the work they do/ different roles in the business.
So how did you get them to send you on these courses?? I haven't heard or seen anything, I'm 35 now so graduate schemes and apprenticeships are out, and did you have to travel ridiculous distances for these courses?
The Apprenticeship Schemes were advertised in our office on big posters- this was back in 2010-2011 mind! Deputy manager courses come up every now and again and are usually found on RM's intranet under the IRIS job search function. There hasn't been much listed recently though. From what I've heard they've frozen all internal management recruitment. And yes I did have to do a bit of travelling around (never more than 60 miles from where i lived though) but I have a car and I enjoyed getting out and about.
lew1275
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by lew1275 »

...but don't get me wrong guys- This company is gonna be shredded to pieces now we're all for making a dollar! :mad
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by postslippete »

lew1275 wrote:It bugs me people saying do not progress. Just because you don't want to doesn't mean others want to stay put. I myself want to progress in RM but the opportunities are not there now it seems? I have gone through the advanced apprenticeship scheme and deputy manager course. Been on numerous other courses and have gained recognised qualifications however I'm still a postie most of the time and only ever called to do deputy manager work as and when required. It is a shame...the amount of money the company must have spent sending me on these courses and I'm not being utilised. Good old typical RM I guess you think they would want to be helping their staff climb the ladder (those who want to). :crazy:

I have to 2 colleagues in my office (we are all in our early twenties) who both have degrees but never made it passed the interview/ selection stages for both the Graduate Program and recently the Project Management Apprenticeship. Maybe something new will open up in the future?

Ps just for the record being a deputy manager is pretty rubbish- for someone my age anyway. The grief and hassle you get is not worth the extra £70-80 (after tax) a week. I do a couple of SA's and get the same amount.


I share your pain brother. And you know what bugs me? It don't really matter what qualifications you got

We have had 5 graduates at our place. 2 were non-posties,fresh faced from uni and were being trained up even though they looked massively out of place. They are now fully fledged senior managers elsewhere I'm sure, particularly as our own managers didn't seem to be that friendly with them. 1 of them got fed up with being a postie and decided to teach. And 2 of them are still working there now, sick and tired of doing the same old job, and not progressing into senior management. I mean deputy management has to be one of the worst right??? I know of one guy (non-grad) who became a lino just because it was a full-time job and yes he's only been there 3 years!! I do find the selection of line managers a little bit cliche though. For example, they have someone lined up for the job and then advertise the position knowing that they will be giving the job to them!!

I do agree with what you're saying, its very sad royal mail isn't really looking after its graduates who work on the shop floor. But that is just the way it is for everyone, just don't take it personally because there are other positions out there, they are just not as many when I first started..
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: how to progress?

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

Senior management are more clueless than the linos. The linos just do what they are told because they want to progress. All the ridiculous idea come from above and they are told to do one thing one week and another the next. Linos don't get to manage in their own way, but then take the brunt of it when things don't work. We all know that the only way to get things done is to get on with the posties and you'll get more out of them!
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: how to progress?

Post by jack »

Bishbashbbosh wrote: We all know that the only way to get things done is to get on with the posties and you'll get more out of them!

Really :hmmmm ,I really do wish my DOM would do this, they somehow seem to get the worst out of the posties in our office.
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'