ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

P739s wrote out in offices

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Hitcher wrote:
Rory wrote:Am I the only person who finds nesting d2ds more hassle than putting them in loose?
No, I don't and can get mine in way quicker than those around me who nest them.
+1

But then I also write out F739 out in the office.

I can't guarantee it but I would lay my mortgage on the belief that 99.9% of members on here do not do the job perfectly to specifications. The reason I hold this belief is that there is no one document that explains step by step exactly what we should be doing, also there are different customs and practices throughout the country.

Also we are not automatons, nor should we be expected to be such. Douglas Bader once said "Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". I don't agree with the word fools, but I do agree with the spirit behind the phrase.

Now the reason I write out F739s in the office can vary, but neatness, forecast of rain and experience of who is usually in are the main ones. However, I always give 2 distinct loud knocks (and ring the bell) and wait at least 1 minute for any sign of a response.

Where does the time come from - well as previously said I am not a Robot so this means no matter what the plan says, some things I do quicker than the plan allows, and on different tasks I am slower.

Also just because people don't follow the plan rigidly 100% of the time doesn't mean they should receive disapprobation. As long as their intent is genuine, and the consequences of their decisions affect no-one but them, then no one should look down on them, or attack them in any way, if you must say something try to educate them, not condemn them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

postwoman1 wrote:
zx135 wrote:
postwoman1 wrote:Yes must admit I write 739 cards for a certain block of flats on my delivery. I stand at the gate to the complex, press the entry code number, its opens and allows me to get to the letter box bank on a wall. there is another gate with an entry code which if I knew it would allow me to get to the flats. If I can get through to the flats , there is NO numbers on the flat doors, so what door do I knock on with the packet I have. If I do happen to see anybody I would say don't go anywhere I have a packet in the van, will be back in 10/15 minutes. Never seen anybody at these flats in the 18 months doing this round, as I would have said please put a number on you door please/thank you and what is the number to get me to the flat doors.



is there not buzzers or intercom system for individual flats?

If there was I WOULD USE THEM, been at this job 23 years I'm not as daft as I look


how do people in the block know if they have a visitor?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by arnold cheshire »

Ossie From Preston wrote:We were told today we are not allowed to write P739 out in the office anymore as most of the staff pre write them and have no intention of knocking twice and delivering the item especially knocking on neighbors with tracked items, If we are caught we told we may be conducted.
Managers say we give quick knocks and wollop the form lefts in. Whatever gave them that idea?

Apparently its going to be nationwide thing in the next few weeks as they are aiming a first time delivery with most items to win Amazon back.
i write mine out at home with each address and then sort them when i get a parcel in work :left: :left:
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Jpro747 »

I haven't got a problem with ppl writing them out in the office if they feel more comfortable doing it there, after all it can be quite challenging to write one when trying to hold a bundle of mail and the parcel(s).
Hitcher
Posts: 1537
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Hitcher »

We still have guys taking their d2d's home on Saturday so they can nest them ready for Monday morning! :crazy:
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by 2pints »

Hitcher wrote:We still have guys taking their d2d's home on Saturday so they can nest them ready for Monday morning! :crazy:
Sad gits. :shock:
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Brainache »

Jpro747 wrote:I haven't got a problem with ppl writing them out in the office if they feel more comfortable doing it there, after all it can be quite challenging to write one when trying to hold a bundle of mail and the parcel(s).

I dont have a problem with it either, but some people are fixated by the `rules`. Common sense prevails zx135.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by dvbuk55 »

Brains wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:I haven't got a problem with ppl writing them out in the office if they feel more comfortable doing it there, after all it can be quite challenging to write one when trying to hold a bundle of mail and the parcel(s).

I dont have a problem with it either, but some people are fixated by the `rules`. Common sense prevails zx135.
What like bombing down the road at 50 in a 30 mile limit because there's no traffic on the road? Neither of you have served then.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by fishtank »

I think the point is not if you pre-write P739 cards but why and the reason management don't want you doing it is because in the majority of these cases the why is because people are simply not attempting delivery properly.

I have no time indoors and far too many parcels to deliver to attempt this kind of thing, If I wrote out a card for every parcel I would be looking at about 60-80 cards a day over the two duties and my customers are far too unreliable to make an accurate guess at who might be in, especially if you factor in delivery to neighbour. It all seems like a pointless waste of time to me and just another petty way to get yourself into bother like D2D nesting but each to their own I suppose, Reps have f**k all else to do but defend members from their own stupidity.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by chrisj »

In the offices where writing P739 prior to delivery (in office or van) then 'common sense' approach does not apply anymore...

You have been told what to do and what not to do, using your own so-called common sense is just asking for trouble. Also it makes things more difficult for the Rep that has to go and represent you when such an issue could have been avoided.

The same used to apply to people scanning Tracked Items before the doorstep. Unfortunately the system allows you to scan delivered and then scan undelivered - shouldn't have :no no.

This issue of scanning tracked well before delivery got a whole office into trouble and got the managers into serious hot water... And nowadays, some customers are constantly tracking their items online and when they see delivered and yet no item; some gets worried and some quickly ring the office...

Rules are there for a reason and we posties and CWU Rep are quick to castigate RM for not following the rules and some posties get away with things when rules are not followed by the employer - so there...
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by chrisj »

Yes, just what fishtank said minutes before me; Re: Union Reps...
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by wabbithunta »

Can I just say that, I do this occasionally but as I stated I do not do this all the time or complete it in the office. I only do this when setting in and only if I have an item for that particular person, as 9-10 times they are never in. I DO NOT do this for all packets etc or for everyone.
As I said I only ever part complete it by filling out the Date, Road, Area (where I am delivering) and the first part of the postcode. If there's no response to a door knock ("postmans knock") and ringing the doorbell, I wait and then all I do is then put in the Time, Name, Door Number and the last three digits of the postcode.
I don't do this for Specials or Tracked as we don't see these until we get them prior to leaving the office. This person also doesn't want items left with neighbours either! "I don't trust them...!"
No doubt some will say "it's a waste of a card if they're in"; but I keep it for later use for someone else either in the same road or for this person again.

Why do people get all wound up over this? No doubt there are things that others do that shouldn't be done "the RM way" too, but I bet you keep schtum over what you do. :hmmmm

I don't run, cut across gardens, "doorstep", climb over back gates if locked, they're locked for a reason by the way, or climb over low walls to leave a packet in a "safe spot"

ho hum.... :cuppa
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by chrisj »

At least you should accept that where posties have been told not to do so, then they should stop.

These kind of issues are not about individuals but they are there to protect all of us from getting into unnecessary bother.

You get some people that have a go at posters - that is their style. But you are trying to defend the indefensible or trying to find justification for an action that can get some else in trouble in another office.

It is not even the waste of time or cards that is the issue but as pointed out, there are posties not bothering to deliver items. Even some with vans approach a house under the belief that householder will not be in but then they are in; so they say they will bring items later - it is sloppy and unprofessional.

I also use the P739 card when there is no letter for a house with a parcel but do not write details on card - so card can be used and reused. Personally, I like to turn or mark for packets and do not like indicating packets on letters for houses with no parcels - also it can be confusing when working as a pair...

You should just drop the issue - but I do agree that some of the posters are way too bothered and very vocal about certain infractions... :cuppa
Last edited by chrisj on 25 Aug 2014, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Brainache »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Brains wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:I haven't got a problem with ppl writing them out in the office if they feel more comfortable doing it there, after all it can be quite challenging to write one when trying to hold a bundle of mail and the parcel(s).

I dont have a problem with it either, but some people are fixated by the `rules`. Common sense prevails zx135.
What like bombing down the road at 50 in a 30 mile limit because there's no traffic on the road? Neither of you have served then.
In my 30+ years served I dont remember bombing down the road at 50 in a 30 ( I did 98 in a Marina van going down hill once in my junior years though, when you were still at preschool no doubt).
If I think it helps to prewrite a 739 I will because its not a big deal. I will still go home at the right time job done.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by daveyeff »

Hitcher wrote:
Rory wrote:Am I the only person who finds nesting d2ds more hassle than putting them in loose?
No, I don't and can get mine in way quicker than those around me who nest them.
that may well be, but either way,,,,if you don't nest them, then when you are out and at someones door,you may have to go through 10 or 12 mail items of mail at a letterbox which would slow you down. you may prep quicker but that time is lost going through loads of loose un-nested d2ds when you are out.. its a 6 and two 3s. personally I find it much easier nesting them when you have multiple sets. and ive never ever been told that you cannot nest them (except for election material). can someone show me where it says you are not doing the job properly if you nest them, and why its wrong to do so.