ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

P739s wrote out in offices

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wabbithunta wrote:
zx135 wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:Out of interest how many of you who comment on this are new starters? :hmmmm

I can tell you that there are quite a few posties who do this due to the fact that experience counts and when they get to certain calls they'll know that the person is inevitably not in, as this has no doubt happened to them on numerous occasions, hence the "pre-written" 739 card.
There's nothing wrong with writing one out in the office either. You get to the door, knock and wait and then try the neighbour and then you post it when you get to leave the package with them or get no response.
Also it's easier to do it this way especially when it's persistently pouring down with rain, writing one out in that kind of weather makes you think twice, and I bet you thought "why didn't I write this out before I left the office?" too.

I was never told not to do this, even on my induction course, but I've done this to a couple of people, I've waited until I got no response and then completed the relevant details... ie time and date and where the item is, either next door or returned to the office, as I am still at the door doing this, but just completing the card.
What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
nesting households is not allowed under any circumstances, you should not be doing it, its not doing the job properly
Tell that to all the posties who do it, and also management who ignore the posties doing it. I've even see management doing this too and setting mail in ready for delivery as well!
As for doing the job properly, show me a postie who does that from start to finish then.
And when the DOM gets a bollocking from higher up for d2ds being nested they'll just deny giving you permission and take you down the conduct code
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by terry2972 »

I am totally confused the first 3 days at my 1st DO all I did was move from frame to frame throwing d2d together lol so that's how I do it
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by spiderj »

wabbithunta wrote:Out of interest how many of you who comment on this are new starters? :hmmmm

I can tell you that there are quite a few posties who do this due to the fact that experience counts and when they get to certain calls they'll know that the person is inevitably not in, as this has no doubt happened to them on numerous occasions, hence the "pre-written" 739 card.
There's nothing wrong with writing one out in the office either. You get to the door, knock and wait and then try the neighbour and then you post it when you get to leave the package with them or get no response.
Also it's easier to do it this way especially when it's persistently pouring down with rain, writing one out in that kind of weather makes you think twice, and I bet you thought "why didn't I write this out before I left the office?" too.

I was never told not to do this, even on my induction course, but I've done this to a couple of people, I've waited until I got no response and then completed the relevant details... ie time and date and where the item is, either next door or returned to the office, as I am still at the door doing this, but just completing the card.
What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
Quick question.....when you're pre writing p739.....is this in your time or do you have surplus time in your day?
I won
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by wabbithunta »

zx135 wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:
zx135 wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:Out of interest how many of you who comment on this are new starters? :hmmmm

I can tell you that there are quite a few posties who do this due to the fact that experience counts and when they get to certain calls they'll know that the person is inevitably not in, as this has no doubt happened to them on numerous occasions, hence the "pre-written" 739 card.
There's nothing wrong with writing one out in the office either. You get to the door, knock and wait and then try the neighbour and then you post it when you get to leave the package with them or get no response.
Also it's easier to do it this way especially when it's persistently pouring down with rain, writing one out in that kind of weather makes you think twice, and I bet you thought "why didn't I write this out before I left the office?" too.

I was never told not to do this, even on my induction course, but I've done this to a couple of people, I've waited until I got no response and then completed the relevant details... ie time and date and where the item is, either next door or returned to the office, as I am still at the door doing this, but just completing the card.
What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
nesting households is not allowed under any circumstances, you should not be doing it, its not doing the job properly
Tell that to all the posties who do it, and also management who ignore the posties doing it. I've even see management doing this too and setting mail in ready for delivery as well!
As for doing the job properly, show me a postie who does that from start to finish then.

and its comments like yours that show exactly why posties are their own worst enemies, please if your office offers any VRs or when they start on compulosry redundancys take it and let the posties who want to do their jobs properly stay

Explain how comments like mine are why posties are their own worst enemies then? I simply stated some facts and it's obvious that this has ruffled your feathers somewhat. Also do me a favour and take the plank out of your own eye before casting aspersions on others!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by wabbithunta »

spiderj wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:Out of interest how many of you who comment on this are new starters? :hmmmm

I can tell you that there are quite a few posties who do this due to the fact that experience counts and when they get to certain calls they'll know that the person is inevitably not in, as this has no doubt happened to them on numerous occasions, hence the "pre-written" 739 card.
There's nothing wrong with writing one out in the office either. You get to the door, knock and wait and then try the neighbour and then you post it when you get to leave the package with them or get no response.
Also it's easier to do it this way especially when it's persistently pouring down with rain, writing one out in that kind of weather makes you think twice, and I bet you thought "why didn't I write this out before I left the office?" too.

I was never told not to do this, even on my induction course, but I've done this to a couple of people, I've waited until I got no response and then completed the relevant details... ie time and date and where the item is, either next door or returned to the office, as I am still at the door doing this, but just completing the card.
What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
Quick question.....when you're pre writing p739.....is this in your time or do you have surplus time in your day?
I write down the basic details.. ie the date, road and delivery area and part of the postcode and complete it out on delivery and this is done when setting in. Does that answer your question?
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by spiderj »

Not really ,avoiding a proper answer actually.
Your office must have extra time built into duties for this as ours doesn't have the time for this allocated.

X time for throwing off
X time for d2d
X time for tying up etc

Never seen any time built in for pre writing p739

If you were to break it down how long does it take to pre write these and do you not have any waste?
The way this company are going I thought they'd be trying to prevent and waste of paper ...
:cuppa
I won
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Brainache »

spiderj wrote:Not really ,avoiding a proper answer actually.
Your office must have extra time built into duties for this as ours doesn't have the time for this allocated.

X time for throwing off
X time for d2d
X time for tying up etc

Never seen any time built in for pre writing p739

If you were to break it down how long does it take to pre write these and do you not have any waste?
The way this company are going I thought they'd be trying to prevent and waste of paper ...
:cuppa

If your writing out a 739 because you know someone will not be in, it doesnt take any more time overall. Its not the same as writing one out for every single packet youve got. Sensible thing to do if its raining, got gloves on, undo coat to get at pen etc,etc. And as it takes only a few seconds, thats whats prepping your round is all about. We are not robots in a time and motion study doing everything absolutely to the book.
Last edited by Brainache on 24 Aug 2014, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by chrisj »

Some people have too much time on their hands because they have easier walks ad/or they come in so early that they use lag times or extra time to write d2ds and collect specials before they tied up.

Our large packets are dropped in a York during sorting and the packets bags are gradually filled up during IPS time... On some days, one is so busy that one has not chance of even taking packet bags off the frame before the IPS is finished or packet folks come and dump your full bag whilst you are still prepping (or double prepping on IPS) or even before arriving in the office if one is a part-timers...

Some of us come in closer to the start of contractual time and put in d2ds (or 2 sets) and then mech and then the rest and then mech and then packets, redirections, kill offs, missorts, bag up, check York for big packets (missorts?) and then go and fetch van in multi-storey, collect specials and PDA and then load up...

If most people do the job properly they will not have too much time to be filling in P739s before leaving the office. Also when you are in a P&L shared van, things are a little bit different from working on your own and supposing a customer might or might not be in...

Writing the P739 before leaving is not the real issue - the real issue is those that do not even attempt to deliver (some even leave parcels in office - old days?) or when people make cursory attempt to deliver...

But we are employees and we should simply do as we are told or face consequences :silenced
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

wabbithunta wrote:
spiderj wrote: What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
Quick question.....when you're pre writing p739.....is this in your time or do you have surplus time in your day?
I write down the basic details.. ie the date, road and delivery area and part of the postcode and complete it out on delivery and this is done when setting in. Does that answer your question?[/quote]

his question was quite clearly do you write them out in your own time or during your duty time?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

wabbithunta wrote: Explain how comments like mine are why posties are their own worst enemies then? I simply stated some facts and it's obvious that this has ruffled your feathers somewhat. Also do me a favour and take the plank out of your own eye before casting aspersions on others!

Your comments state quite clearly that you do not do the job properly, nesting d2ds, pre writing p739s, combined with other things posties do, short cuts over walls fences, not using trollies etc its a long list, there is no excuse for not doing the job properly it only helps to reduce staffing numbers overall, and as i said if your not willing to do the job properly i hope you will be first in the queue to leave the job when they start cutting numbers


plank out of my own eye? nice, resorting to name calling very mature
scoobydo79
Posts: 2058
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by scoobydo79 »

Ive been in the job a long time and have never written dockets out in the office or seen or heard of any one else doing it.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3230
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Acca Dacca »

Back in the day when we worked from boxes I could see why it some scrupulous posties would stick a card through with no knock and without having the item with them to save them carrying it but now that we work from vans and have trolleys should we need them I really don't see why anyone would need to now.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
postwoman1
Posts: 18
Joined: 13 Oct 2012, 17:08
Gender: Female

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by postwoman1 »

Yes must admit I write 739 cards for a certain block of flats on my delivery. I stand at the gate to the complex, press the entry code number, its opens and allows me to get to the letter box bank on a wall. there is another gate with an entry code which if I knew it would allow me to get to the flats. If I can get through to the flats , there is NO numbers on the flat doors, so what door do I knock on with the packet I have. If I do happen to see anybody I would say don't go anywhere I have a packet in the van, will be back in 10/15 minutes. Never seen anybody at these flats in the 18 months doing this round, as I would have said please put a number on you door please/thank you and what is the number to get me to the flat doors.
Whysoslowyehcfc
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by Whysoslowyehcfc »

Seems to me there are plenty of managers on this site pretending to be postmen, if I was you I'd worry about your own jobs, try to justify why they still need so many, when they don't have enough to fill up their own time
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: P739s wrote out in offices

Post by dblad »

zx135 wrote:
wabbithunta wrote:
spiderj wrote: What's wrong with that? I bet you don't "nest" your households either, because management say don't do that either.
Quick question.....when you're pre writing p739.....is this in your time or do you have surplus time in your day?
I write down the basic details.. ie the date, road and delivery area and part of the postcode and complete it out on delivery and this is done when setting in. Does that answer your question?
his question was quite clearly do you write them out in your own time or during your duty time?[/quote]
Surely if your allowed time on the walk to write them, then you can use this time indoors instead of on the doorstep.