ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
I only had one of these vans as a spare for a day and it drove me crazy. We were already trying to find a switch to turn it off!
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
trouble is, I now dont hear it anymore.
I have blocked it out, so now it's pointless and if I do leave my handbrake off it's RM's fault.
if it happened once or twice a day you would listen and remember.
I have blocked it out, so now it's pointless and if I do leave my handbrake off it's RM's fault.
if it happened once or twice a day you would listen and remember.
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
Our new Doblos do that, occasionally warning you about the handbrake but not every time you open the door. Same voice as the Peugeot vans as well!doorstepped wrote:trouble is, I now dont hear it anymore.
I have blocked it out, so now it's pointless and if I do leave my handbrake off it's RM's fault.
if it happened once or twice a day you would listen and remember.
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
It is very annoying. Almost crapped myself when i first heard it, though someone was in the van
We had to do this as well. It's ridiculous.olilew wrote:We have just had to fill a sheet in with pretty little diagrams with the van facing uphill and downhill and you had to tick when to apply the handbrake and tick which way to turn the steering wheel and which gear to leave the van in. I have been driving for 27 years FFS!Jpro747 wrote:I find it embarrasing and partronising, I passed my driving test and I know when to apply the f..king hanbrake.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
Don't pull the fuse or make any modifications to the voice - its gross misconduct at best, criminal damage at worst and is interfering with H&S systems which only adds to the possible ramifications.
I have been informed of at least 2 suspensions after a surprise inspection by a fleet manager, and more to follow as they are "inspecting" all the vehicles at that site. Apparently from another source, it was so prevalent at this one site that Surprise Inspections of vehicles, log books and adherence to regulations will be stepped up significantly.
She may be an annoying woman, but is turning her off really worth losing your job over.
I have been informed of at least 2 suspensions after a surprise inspection by a fleet manager, and more to follow as they are "inspecting" all the vehicles at that site. Apparently from another source, it was so prevalent at this one site that Surprise Inspections of vehicles, log books and adherence to regulations will be stepped up significantly.
She may be an annoying woman, but is turning her off really worth losing your job over.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Don't pull the fuse or make any modifications to the voice - its gross misconduct at best, criminal damage at worst and is interfering with H&S systems which only adds to the possible ramifications.
I have been informed of at least 2 suspensions after a surprise inspection by a fleet manager, and more to follow as they are "inspecting" all the vehicles at that site. Apparently from another source, it was so prevalent at this one site that Surprise Inspections of vehicles, log books and adherence to regulations will be stepped up significantly.
She may be an annoying woman, but is turning her off really worth losing your job over.
OK, fair emough. I had a Navman satnav a few years back which came with a list of voices you could choose for the narration. Ozzy Osbourne was the best "you have reached yer f-f-f***ing dessstination..." If we could just have this capability, i.e. keep the warning but have it in a more amusing way?
-
timbo61
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 15 Aug 2014, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
I wonder how long we would have these if the genius who thought it up had to sit in his office listening to a recorded voice repeating this message at least 300 times every morning!
It is mental torture.
I know of people jumping out and leaving door open to avoid hearing it. How is that contributing to road safety?
It is mental torture.
I know of people jumping out and leaving door open to avoid hearing it. How is that contributing to road safety?
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
It should be on a timer, plays first time you get in in the morning, and every time the vehicle is left unattended for more than 60 minutes.
The Peugot vans are horrible anyway, they are made with short French people in mind, I'm 6'2 and can't get a comfortable position on the pedals as the seat doesn't go back far enough.
The Peugot vans are horrible anyway, they are made with short French people in mind, I'm 6'2 and can't get a comfortable position on the pedals as the seat doesn't go back far enough.
-
iminavest
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 06 May 2013, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
The newest onrs only do it 3/4 times a day now, same with the new fiats.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
We have acquired 9 of these vans and 7 of them have had the lady's fuse pulled. 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
Put them back PDQ, suspension is not a pleasant experience, nor is collecting a P45Barbel wrote:We have acquired 9 of these vans and 7 of them have had the lady's fuse pulled.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
Never mind ... with technology advancing at a pace, we'll soon have driverless vans - giving the walker twice as much to do 
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
It certainly doesn't say "we're right, you're wrong". It acknowledges the issue and says that they are working with the manufacturer to introduce a random warning system. And a previous post confirms that this is now the case on their new vans.trythat wrote:One of the guys at work wrote to 'justsayit' and received this back, usual RM 'we;re right, you're wrong' again.
Thanks for your email to Moya’s JustSayIt about the handbrake warning alarm. I work as part of this team and your email has been shared with me for a response.
As you are probably aware we have had a number of incidents where out vans have been involved in roll-aways which have in some instances resulted in life changing /fatalities. In order to try and reduce the occurrence of these incidents we have used a number of different channels to communicate materials which have been developed regarding the correct operation of handbrakes when parking the vehicle including leaving the vehicle in gear and pointing the tyres into the kerb.
The addition of the handbrake audible warning was a technological intervention that has been trialled and implemented. We trialled the system that has been installed in a number of delivery offices and gathered feedback from the drivers. The feedback was mainly positive from the drivers, however acting on the feedback we made a number of changes to the initial set up-
· reduced the number of times the warning was played on opening the door
· reduced the volume
We also looked at other ways of fitting the system to activate with the warning light on the dash when the handbrake is applied but this has issues, i.e.
· the light goes off with the ignition on our vehicles and therefore the ignition could be switched off avoiding the warning or before the handbrake is / isn’t applied
· the fact that even if the light is on this does not mean the handbrake is at the end of it’s travel and engaged, thus has the potential to mislead the driver
· there are also technical issues within the wiring systems that restrict how we can make the system work
We have now explored several options with Peugeot and are pushing for a random warning system through the door switch to reduce the number of times the warning is triggered with the system manufacturers.
Thanks again for your email. I hope this helps you to understand how and why the current option was arrived at.
Just smacks of someone determined to moan about Royal Mail even when they respond to feedback.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
Just to reinforce TBT's point, similarly there's been operators sent down the road for stuffing tissue paper etc into automation start alarms because "they get on my nerves keep going off".
Basically they're sabotaging (what are viewed as) first-line safety devices. Get caught and your feet won't touch the ground on your way out the door.
Basically they're sabotaging (what are viewed as) first-line safety devices. Get caught and your feet won't touch the ground on your way out the door.
-
trythat
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 720
- Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36
Re: Annoying Lady's fuse needs pulling
I don't generally reply to this sort of baiting message, but as it's in my office and so far even when the vans have been in for a service, I'm told the system has not changed. So from an OPG's point of view, it is a case of just get on with it and we may do something, I'm pleased for the OPG with the new vans, but that doesn't help those who still have to put up with it, does it? Of course I realise we're on different sides of the fence.Brain Fury wrote:It certainly doesn't say "we're right, you're wrong". It acknowledges the issue and says that they are working with the manufacturer to introduce a random warning system. And a previous post confirms that this is now the case on their new vans.trythat wrote:One of the guys at work wrote to 'justsayit' and received this back, usual RM 'we;re right, you're wrong' again.
Thanks for your email to Moya’s JustSayIt about the handbrake warning alarm. I work as part of this team and your email has been shared with me for a response.
Just smacks of someone determined to moan about Royal Mail even when they respond to feedback.