ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changing Wheel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

I wonder if I would be given a hard time if I missed the final collections from the Post Offices / Firms / lorry to mail center because I was waiting for RAC to change a wheel ??

When we asked the question last year about changing wheels we were told we could as we were experienced Rural postmen .... Trouble is that at the moment most of us do not have any spare wheels anyway :crazy:
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by Darren Bent »

Have anyone lose their job or got into trouble for changing the wheel.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Darren Bent wrote:Have anyone lose their job or got into trouble for changing the wheel.
guy up our way got conducted for not doing it properly when not trained and wheel fell off(in yard thankfully!)
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by Krafty »

Just to be sure:

I have never had to change a wheel in my driving life (lucky me).
I had a nail in a tyre which the Vehicle manager said he would change this time due to it being a busy day (isn't it every day?!), but said I would have to change it the next time.
Should we be changing tyres?
Should the Union not be telling all offices where we stand on this issue?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Krafty wrote:Just to be sure:

I have never had to change a wheel in my driving life (lucky me).
I had a nail in a tyre which the Vehicle manager said he would change this time due to it being a busy day (isn't it every day?!), but said I would have to change it the next time.
Should we be changing tyres?
Should the Union not be telling all offices where we stand on this issue?

they have given guidance, you dont change it unless your trained to do it
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by trythat »

CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:I wonder if I would be given a hard time if I missed the final collections from the Post Offices / Firms / lorry to mail center because I was waiting for RAC to change a wheel ??

When we asked the question last year about changing wheels we were told we could as we were experienced Rural postmen .... Trouble is that at the moment most of us do not have any spare wheels anyway :crazy:
No you wouldn't USO is not as important as your H&S, we requested a RM H&S manager to attend our last WTL, and it was pointed out in no uncertain terms we are NOT to change wheels out on delivery. If USO issues arise from either SD, Collections, or child care problems then so be it, managers will either bring a van out and wait for the RAC, or/and send someone out to help cover USO.

We did not really get the answers we wanted, as usual the union and RM have not thought process through from a OPG's point of view.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by DGP1 »

Don't have a RM mobile phone, going to be difficult for me to phone for a tyre changer to come out........just have to walk back to the office and report it :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

DGP1 wrote:Don't have a RM mobile phone, going to be difficult for me to phone for a tyre changer to come out........just have to walk back to the office and report it :Very Happy

Use your PDA
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by Krafty »

zx135 wrote:
Krafty wrote:Just to be sure:

I have never had to change a wheel in my driving life (lucky me).
I had a nail in a tyre which the Vehicle manager said he would change this time due to it being a busy day (isn't it every day?!), but said I would have to change it the next time.
Should we be changing tyres?
Should the Union not be telling all offices where we stand on this issue?

they have given guidance, you dont change it unless your trained to do it
The manager quickly went through what has to be done when changing a wheel - is that the training?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Krafty wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Krafty wrote:Just to be sure:

I have never had to change a wheel in my driving life (lucky me).
I had a nail in a tyre which the Vehicle manager said he would change this time due to it being a busy day (isn't it every day?!), but said I would have to change it the next time.
Should we be changing tyres?
Should the Union not be telling all offices where we stand on this issue?

they have given guidance, you dont change it unless your trained to do it
The manager quickly went through what has to be done when changing a wheel - is that the training?
No it's a mechanic from your local rtw that does it
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing Wheel

Post by Brainache »

I had training to change a wheel off RM Driving Instructor `Wally` from Portsmouth about 30 years ago. Does anyone remember him ?
We even went in the Portsmouth Mail Center bar one dinner time for half a pint when I was learning to drive. Then I drove him the 50 or so miles back to my office.