http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news ... -1-6239719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A grandad who was held hostage by a would be armed robber at a Peterborough post office said he was not scared when the crook held a knife to his throat - just annoyed.
Retired postie Neil Walker (78) had gone to the Central Avenue Post Office in Dogsthorpe, Peterborough to send a parcel when the robber burst in at 4.10pm on July 23.
Neil, of Bradegate Drive, Dogsthorpe, said: “Other than the assistant there was no-one on the shop.
“A man came up behind me and knocked my arm.
“He leaned forwards and said to the assistant ‘give me the money or I’ll stab this man.’
“I noticed he had a knife - it was about eight inches long and was a kitchen knife and he was holding it a few inches in front of my throat.
“I was very annoyed. I said ‘don’t given him the money.’
“I wasn’t scared. Just angry and annoyed someone was trying to do this.
“The man just looked perplexed.
“The assistant took a step back but didn’t give him any money.
“He wasn’t going to get any money. If the girl had tried to give him any money, I would just have pushed it back away from him.
“I was quite pleased with how I reacted.
“We can’t let lowlife like that think they can get away with this.”
The man fled empty handed, heading in the direction of Chestnut Avenue.
Neil’s wife, Irene (75) had been next door at the chemist when the drama unfolded. She said: “He came out of the shop and said ‘a man just held me up with a knife.’ I didn’t believe him at first, and thought he was joking.
“He was brave, but also a bit stupid.”
Neil, a dad of two and grandad of three said: “My son and daughter were very shocked by what happened, but my grandson said it was cool.”
Police have now released CCTV images of a man they want to trace in connection with the attempted robbery.
Anyone with information should contact DC Sarah Morley at Cambridgeshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Neil, 78, was ‘annoyed’ by armed robber at post office
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Neil, 78, was ‘annoyed’ by armed robber at post office
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.