ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual Leave????

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by Bahia Feliz »

SammyR20 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,
I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)
he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
How can you have your own round and half of another round?
The person I van share with has a bad knee so insists that I take his flats (82 of them) he doesn't do it to others when I'm not there but I don't want to go complaining to my manager and make things awkward as I am happy with what is my round and prefer that to be doing different ones day in day out.
While you are doing his 82 flats,Is he doing anything in return for you?
SammyR20
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by SammyR20 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
SammyR20 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,
I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)
he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
How can you have your own round and half of another round?
The person I van share with has a bad knee so insists that I take his flats (82 of them) he doesn't do it to others when I'm not there but I don't want to go complaining to my manager and make things awkward as I am happy with what is my round and prefer that to be doing different ones day in day out.
While you are doing his 82 flats,Is he doing anything in return for you?
20 odd terraced houses at the end of my walk!!
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by Bahia Feliz »

SammyR20 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
SammyR20 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,
I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)
he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
How can you have your own round and half of another round?
The person I van share with has a bad knee so insists that I take his flats (82 of them) he doesn't do it to others when I'm not there but I don't want to go complaining to my manager and make things awkward as I am happy with what is my round and prefer that to be doing different ones day in day out.
While you are doing his 82 flats,Is he doing anything in return for you?[/quot
20 odd terraced houses at the end of my walk!!
A fair swap i'd say
SammyR20
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by SammyR20 »

Wouldn't mind if he didn't moan that I take 20minutes longer than him, tuts n shakes his head all the time, funny though he waits for me on a Saturday when he wants me to drop him home
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by Bahia Feliz »

zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
How else is he supposed to get a day off for his wifes treatment for her illness?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
How else is he supposed to get a day off for his wifes treatment for her illness?

Not by being dishonest anyway. Just use dependency leave if appropriate for it
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by Bahia Feliz »

zx135 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
How else is he supposed to get a day off for his wifes treatment for her illness?

Not by being dishonest anyway. Just use dependency leave if appropriate for it
His wife has got a brain tumour and his dom won't give him any days off to go with her to the hospital when she has treatment!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
How else is he supposed to get a day off for his wifes treatment for her illness?

Not by being dishonest anyway. Just use dependency leave if appropriate for it
His wife has got a brain tumour and his dom won't give him any days off to go with her to the hospital when she has treatment!

Doesn't justify being dishonest. Family comes first take the days off and if Dom takes him down the conduct route get in touch with local papers and email moya. I guarantee it won't go any further
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
His wife has a brain tumour and the basket cases wont give him time off!!! The only way is to be dishonest without risking loss of wages. If he could go in and say to the DOM I need this day off and they said yes that's ok I hope everything goes well then he wouldn't need to be dishonest in anyway. Unfortunately the management could give a flying fig about anyones personal circumstances.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:
zx135 wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Best thing you can do fell is go sick........ not ideal but I learnt the hard way that if you ask for a day off they wont help you out and then you cant go sick because they will know its not true. Keep quiet next time about any appointments for the mrs and just phone up on the day with a mysterious, sudden illness.

Very poor advice this. No wonder people who are genuinely off I'll get hassle from doms when people are giving this sort of advice and doing this sort of thing
His wife has a brain tumour and the basket cases wont give him time off!!! The only way is to be dishonest without risking loss of wages. If he could go in and say to the DOM I need this day off and they said yes that's ok I hope everything goes well then he wouldn't need to be dishonest in anyway. Unfortunately the management could give a flying fig about anyones personal circumstances.

Sorry but there is still no justification to be dishonest,
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by Bahia Feliz »

What he should do is say to his dom "I'm sorry but I won't be in next ***day as I'm going to the hospital with my wife for her cancer treatment".
That is telling the truth and putting your family first as you should.
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

That's what he should be able to say and his request should be granted, but sadly they wont approve his request and they will probably threaten him with loss of payment which makes a stressful situation even more stressful.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Annual Leave????

Post by clashcityrocker »

If a partner has cancer, it is disability discrimination to not allow the carer time off to attend hospital appointments.
It would be like the DOM not allowing someone time off to attend their own chemotherapy sessions.

The Branch must have a disability champion.
A phone call to explain the situation might be a good idea.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.