ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Sometimes you win....... Today I asked the neighbour if he minded taking a parcel for next door... "No, I can't stand the bastard and hate his guts"! So I 739d him and on the card wrote "Neighbour says he hates your guts, so won't take your parcel"! :Very Happy

I thought that was an adequate explanation if the DOM needed one...normally I'll write No Answer on the line about leaving it with neighbours....It's just turning into an ass covering exercise :arrrghhh .
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by postslippete »

Your lino sounds like a jobs worth

Probably making a fancy chart of the number of slip lefts that posties have brought back and pinning it on the board ( :shhhhh i dont want to give them ideas!!)


Just stick to trying to deliver the item first time and bringing it back if you can't deliver. If a postie does a different round every week how can he/she know who the trusted neighbours are??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Surreypostie »

When all this delivery to neighbour started I was asked by one customer to leave with a particular neighbour and not the one the other side. No problem as the old girl was always in and makes it easier for me and the customer. A few days after leaving a parcel or packet whatever we call them with said neighbour I was informed the old girl who has dementia put it out with her rubbish for the binmen. Needless to say no more went to that particular neighbour. I don't know what the outcome was but I would think the company sending the item can claim for it's loss as they have the P739 informing them that we didn't deliiver as addressed. I'd go livid if I sent something and it got delivered elsewhere and got lost, breach of contract I'd call it. I put the address on and that is where I expect it to end up, not wherever a postman wants to drop it off.
pj2001
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 20:37
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by pj2001 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:Next time just say you tried every house in the street but no one was in!

Just say this , never give them a reason to have a pop
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Tuffers1875 »

It'll all go full circle, it always does with this shower, you watch :cuppa
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by billy44 »

Came back today to be greeted by a manager checking every single parcel that had been returned and questioned on whether we had tried to deliver them to a neighbour.
Told her that I wouldn't trust anyone on our two walks as it's a rough area,just looked at me gone out.
Said that we have to put on the bottom of the form left sticker two addresses we had attempted to deliver to but as I said I wouldn't trust 99% of the people on our walks so what's the answer to that?
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Brain Fury »

Tuffers1875 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Just 739 em and sling it in the cage when you've finished, then go home and forget about the poxy job for 16 hours until you have to do it all again :thumbup

Does my head in all this bollocks does. A few years back it was a total no no to try and leave stuff with a neighbour. I wish this stupid company would make a piggin rule and stick to it :crazy:
Ever heard of the saying "times change"? I've heard of being resistant to change but that is just ridiculous.
And you've been in the job 5 minutes son? Still wet behind the ears.
A bit longer than 5 minutes. Not that it matters. I don't expect things to stay the same as the day I started.
:cuppa
Does that mean anything "son"?
Burnleyfc
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Jun 2014, 16:21
Gender: Female

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Burnleyfc »

What don't you lads get about trying neighbours do it the finish times the same cut off provide overtime for others durrrrrrr
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by janitor »

The bit people don't get, is if a parcel goes missing who's going to get shafted, probably the postie, some of the areas I used to deliver parcels to if you left an item with a neibour it would be in the local money shop before you got to the end of the road.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by Postie45 »

billy44 wrote:Came back today to be greeted by a manager checking every single parcel that had been returned and questioned on whether we had tried to deliver them to a neighbour.
Told her that I wouldn't trust anyone on our two walks as it's a rough area,just looked at me gone out.
Said that we have to put on the bottom of the form left sticker two addresses we had attempted to deliver to but as I said I wouldn't trust 99% of the people on our walks so what's the answer to that?
I assume you were coming back to the office early.
If not, then you clearly dont have time to check neighbours or you would end up cutting off.
If the manager insists you still do it, then you`ll probably have to cut off.
Its a shame that the only way managers learn is the hard way
sean3838
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 20:30
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by sean3838 »

Next time knock on every door tell it took 4 hour to get a reply and take the whole walk. Back
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Deliver to Neighbour... Across the Street!

Post by billy44 »

The point I am trying to make is that I was told that the security of all mail and parcels is very important so leaving a parcel with someone I wouldn't trust surely goes against that?
I know that if parcels go "missing" and it's on my walk the s**t will come back to me and it's not a risk I am prepared to take to satisfy a manager.