ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Meltdown

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Meltdown

Post by Jpro747 »

Lol at that response from JustSayIt. They basically skirted around your questions and spouted what we've already heard. They even suggested informing management and the CWU about going over due to D2N, (that'll go down about as well as a s**t sandwich). This really just goes to show how out of touch both the CWU and senior management are with the frontline workers.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Meltdown

Post by k979aaa »

RedBagMan wrote:Here's one ... my question to justsayit - and the reply - did someone mention "corporate dribble" - well here y'go ...

My Question

Hi
I'm a postie working out of the xxxxxx office delivering in a semi-rural village ... and I have an issue with the "First Time Every Time" mantra viz.
1)Leave enough time for the customer to come to the door. Knock twice.
2) Attempt Delivey to Neighbour every time your customer is not in.
3) Use local knowledge etc etc etc
4) Complete a P739 card etc etc
I'll stop there.
As I understand, the "Pegasus" system allows us 60 seconds per attendance call - it is impossible to carry out 1) to 4) within 60 seconds (working in a semi-rural environment, we get rather a lot of parcels/packets/tracked etc - the lack of shops are just one reason ... obviously the internet is the other "biggie").
It then becomes annoying when Managers start to question why walks are taking so long (and we attempt to book overtime) - phrase often used is "Mail is light today". Again - as I understand it - there is detailed information on mech mail, tracked items and specials - but not on IPS mail and parcels (please correct me if I'm wrong here !).
I hear the phrase "Our competitors are doing it" - but they are being paid "by the parcel" ... we are being paid "by the hour" - and 60 seconds per attendance call (especially on Wednesdays and Thursdays) is just NOT enough time (it can take over 60 seconds to correctly fill out a P739 - another point which is often made).
I'd be interested to hear your views on the above.

The reply ...

Thank you for sharing your experience with Moya’s JustSayIt site. I work as part of the Just Say It team and your email has been shared with me for a response. I am sorry to hear about your concern.
Delivery to Neighbour provides a better customer experience because customers do not have to make a special journey to the delivery office. Our frontline colleagues are putting in a fantastic effort to deliver parcels, and this helps ensure that our customers will receive their parcels quickly.
Delivery to Neighbour has been standard for our competitors and we have now issued a guideline alongside the CWU, this means D2N is now a standard part of our delivery procedure. Research and information provided from Ofcom tells us this is what our customers expect. It also helps our efficiency because storing and reissuing undelivered mail and offering a free redelivery increases our operational costs, undelivered mail also causes a queue at the enquiry office. Our frontline colleagues should decide the most optimum neighbour to receive the item, and this will be based on local knowledge and experience from performing the delivery. Increased and better automation will free up time that has been spend sorting and will provide more time out on delivery.
I understand that the walk to and from another address may take a little time and this may impact on your finish time. The local management teams should help using their normal local procedures for working over. Please keep your manager and local CWU representative informed about your delivery and let them both know if you are having any difficulties.

Did they answer my questions ??? You decide ...
Answer yes have any idea what is going on in your area and all others due to lapsing for the management bonus culture that has built up don't forget these guys and girls get their pensions paid for by our saving duty hours lapsing! Now head office cannot have it both ways customer service or profit and bonus culture which is it too be is the question to ask Moya Greene for she has no idea what a real days work is!
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Meltdown

Post by Jamesethefirst »

Did they answer your question?
Did you expect them to?
As I was informed this morning by a manager, "you are just a mere worker" .
Fair enough,I know where I stand. But you are a complete arse.