ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/dogs-won-t- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE owner of three Staffordshire bull terriers is demanding a postman leaves his prejudices at her garden gate and meets her pet pooches.

Jill Lomax's call comes after a temporary Royal Mail postman refused to set foot inside the garden of her home in Tregothnan Road in Truro when he saw her pets.

The 48-year-old mum of two said everyone who got to know her dogs Vinnie, Bridget and Teddy adored them, including her regular postman, but the attitude of the stand-in had fuelled her mission to explain that the stereotype of the breed as a dangerous fighting dog was unfair and they were in fact very loveable.

"He's only been to the house twice and the first time was three weeks ago," she said.

"I was stood inside when I heard him call, 'Oi, I can see you'. I thought something needed to be signed for.

"He said, 'I'm not coming inside; you've got dogs running loose'. I said, 'They're not running loose; they're in my garden and I'm here; come and meet them'. That's when he said, 'Those f***ing things should be muzzled'."

Miss Lomax said she tried to reason with the postman and in response he cited 'health and safety' at her.

The second time he called round she tried again but, she said, this time he threw the post into the garden and stuck his middle finger up behind his back, in front of her 19-year-old daughter.

She said the exchanges had upset and angered her and she was considering having her post redirected for fear it would not be delivered and to protect her dogs in case the postman made an allegation that they had bitten him. Miss Lomax has complained to Royal Mail's customer service department.

She said: "I would like him to swallow his pride, come to the door, meet my dogs and for him to acknowledge they are nice dogs; then the problem can be put to bed. He has reacted to all the media hype around the dogs and did not give them their due."

A Royal Mail spokesman said the business would investigate claims that a customer had been sworn at, as this was unacceptable behaviour from any employee.

But he added: "The safety and welfare of our staff is paramount and we encourage the public to take responsibility for keeping their pets under control so that we can deliver the mail safely.

"We have contacted the customer pointing out our concerns and requested that the dogs be kept under control when our postman calls."

The situation was being monitored daily and Miss Lomax's post was being delivered when it was "safe to do so", the spokesman said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
knackeredneedadayoff
Posts: 342
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by knackeredneedadayoff »

Its simple if they are loose and nobody comes to the gate you take the mail back and inform management and endorse it dogs loose.Only deliver when safe to do so,how many times has a postman been bit and you get "He has never done that before".Dogs are not to be trusted if you dont know them or they look aggressive.
I personally would never go into a property with staffies ,alsatians ,dobermans and all other guard or protective breeds
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by Darren Bent »

and we can't be sure if it is safe or not especially with those breeds. I know there are some lovely and friendly Staffordshire Bull Terriers but there also some really nasty ones. We shouldn't have to risk our body to deliver the post.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by DB1100 »

I find border collies and collie crosses to be the worst offenders
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by Lounge Lizard »

knackeredneedadayoff wrote:Its simple if they are loose and nobody comes to the gate you take the mail back and inform management and endorse it dogs loose.Only deliver when safe to do so,how many times has a postman been bit and you get "He has never done that before".Dogs are not to be trusted if you dont know them or they look aggressive.
I personally would never go into a property with staffies ,alsatians ,dobermans and all other guard or protective breeds
But Vinnie, Bridget and Teddy look like nice friendly dogs. :Very Happy
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by spiderj »

Attacked by the following
Yorkie....they don't get their door knocked anymore

Collie in a previous job,had to choke it to make it let go

Chocolate lab...ran away...me

Collie....used a bin to prevent dog from biting

French bulldog...defended myself using reasonable force....and called police

Guide dog.....and the owner asked me why I was trying to kick it????

And a couple of big hairy things with teeth that I didn't check the breed

Now I see dog loose...I'll shout and see if owner will come for mail,if not I'll endorse and return......
I will go home in the same shape I started....just won't take the chance at all.
:cuppa
I won
g66
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 18:23
Gender: Male

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by g66 »

Our DOM today told some of us that a postman in Lancaster went into a garden not realising a dog was out,he got bitten and now apparently is going down the conduct code road as his bosses and HR have said it was his fault as they`ve spent so much time and money on `Dog Awareness Training` charming!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by k979aaa »

g66 wrote:Our DOM today told some of us that a postman in Lancaster went into a garden not realising a dog was out,he got bitten and now apparently is going down the conduct code road as his bosses and HR have said it was his fault as they`ve spent so much time and money on `Dog Awareness Training` charming!
Oh you mean WORLD CLASS MAIL more job's for the boys and girls who don't do the front line!
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by mailman71 »

If I had a £1 for every time a customer said the dog won't bite you but has went for me I would be loaded.
When will customers realise that the uniform and or the bag makes us in the dogs eyes different to most other people.
redman
Posts: 56
Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by redman »

Refuse to deliver. "simple" no need to swear or get aggressive just plain and simple refuse to deliver. If she told me to meet her dogs I would say no way and there is no way I am entering your garden while they are there. All managers would support him but not swearing at a customer.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by baldrick »

mailman71 wrote:When will customers realise that the uniform and or the bag makes us in the dogs eyes different to most other people.
I didn't work in deliveries but got attacked by an alsatian when going home one night wearing uniform. It wasn't on a lead and the owner had the cheek to say it was my fault as I shouldn't have been walking down the road.
Dee Plish
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 282
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:05
Gender: Male
Location: Atop many steps

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by Dee Plish »

This ignorant woman needs to do a delivery and encounter some of these "he won't bite you" dogs. After a few bites, she won't be so narrow-minded as to what we have to face and why her temp postman (correctly) didn't deliver.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: My dogs won't attack you, Jill tells postman

Post by scoobydo79 »

Swearing at a customer is not acceptable but I fully understand why He did it.It scares the hell out of You.I never swear or loose it with any one but did when I had a near miss with a alsation.I ranted and raved and cussed like a good un. :no no