ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by chrisj »

Good idea. he "left a special in my bag overnight in the van" buy why use bags in a van anyway ?

Even if you use the LWT, the mail will still have to be put in pouch bag... :crazy:

I know some that have very easy rounds in my office and some on singleton rounds that use trays/boxes but they are a tiny minority; and some simply use the van like a bicycle/shuttle wagon to go from point ot point - thereby using small bundles.

Anyway, when you have an undelivered small letter special, they will need to be secure until you get back to the van; and most people leave them in the pockets of the pouches because you do not want them falling out when you lift bundles or packets/parcels out of the pouch.

It is easy to forget the letter is in the small pocket of the pouch - genuine mistake - but often it is more to do with not being methodical, rushing or being distracted etc.
Easily done especially with PDAs. The paper system at least give you a chance to tally the delivered and undelivered and therefore such mistakes were limited and could even be spotted straight-away by office posties.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Postie45 »

ridiculous decision by management unless you have had previous problems.
You didnt even lose the special (permanently), it was in a secure place and its been found. Why they need to give you 2 years warning when as you say they have a "mistakes happen" clause is beyond me.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by OnAFlyer »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
ebbzie wrote:
lofarl wrote:I have received a 2 year serious warning because I left a special in my bag overnight in the van. It was a small letter and I just forgot it was in there, I scanned the rest of the items in fine. I accept my error in leaving it in the bag, the fault is my own. But instead of a ticking off or a row I get hit with this. Now I am afraid that any small error I make in 2 years and I am out the door.

But when I look at the conduct code I see this:

Furthermore, Royal mail does recognise that genuine mistakes and misunderstandings do occur and it is not the intention of the Business that such cases should be dealt with under the Conduct Code beyond counselling for the isolated instance. The key is that employees should do their job to the best of their ability and, if in doubt, ask for their manager's advice and guidance.

Now if I had prior of leaving specials in vans or screwing them up I could understand the kick in the ass. But as far as I know this is my first real error.
Take a empty tray with you and put all small packets and letters for return in it , that way you wont leave any in your pouches thats we do and it seems to work ok#
Good idea. he "left a special in my bag overnight in the van" buy why use bags in a van anyway ?
Isn't he talking about his delivery bag, as in pouch?

Just check each bag when you get back to the van and make sure it's empty, put all the returns in one place (either a tray or a nominated bag, we use trays) then you can't ever leave anything. We don't leave bags/pouches/trays or anything else in the van anyway, they go back in the office and I do a second check at my frame before going home to make sure all my pouches are empty.