http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news ... a-traitor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
INVERCLYDE’S Provost says he was called a ‘traitor’ by a postman while he campaigned for a No vote in Gourock.
Robert Moran said he was shouted at by a Royal Mail worker on Saturday at a Scottish Labour referendum stall on Kempock Street just beside Cleats Bar.
The abuse delivered by the mail man left the area’s civic leader shocked.
He said: “The chap just walked past and shouted ‘traitors!’.
“It was a wee bit out of hand.
“My grandfather served in World War One, my younger brother was in the Argylls, so to be called a traitor was a bit strong.
“The man should choose his words more carefully. I would hate for anyone to think I was a traitor.
“But I don’t hold any grudges. It was a Saturday morning — maybe he was frustrated with a lot of things.”
A tweet from the Inverclyde Labour Twitter account hit out over the incident.
It read: “@Moran123Robert called ‘a traitor’ by Yes supporter in Gourock today because he’s voting NO!”
Another tweet stated: “More Yes aggression in Gourock this morning as an on duty postman shouted “There’s the traitors” at our volunteers.”
With less than 50 days to the independence referendum the Provost is worried that the issue has become so emotive that it is even dividing local families.
He said: “It’s the most emotive issue I’ve ever dealt with in politics.
“It really is dividing people — husband and wife, sibling against sibling.”
But Provost Moran also believes the Gourock incident was isolated and described the public’s general response on the campaign trail as ‘civilised’.
He said: “Campaigning is going great. We are not complacent because there’s everything to fight for.
“I know the Provost is above the politics, and I try to maintain that, but this is one issue I feel strongly about.
“I’m fully committed to keeping the United Kingdom together, that’s all I’m doing.
“I respect everything about Yes Scotland and what they are trying to achieve. But I don’t agree with it.
“I won’t be frightened to express my views and do my work for the No campaign.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman calls Inverclyde's Provost a 'traitor'
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman calls Inverclyde's Provost a 'traitor'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postman calls Inverclyde's Provost a ‘traitor’
He said: “But I don’t hold any grudges" - well why tell everyone about it then ?
He said: “My grandfather served in World War One"
So did mine, and he was gassed, but that shouldn't stop anyone calling me whatever they see fit. 
He said: “My grandfather served in World War One"
-
taxi4leighton
- Posts: 343
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:05
Re: Postman calls Inverclyde's Provost a 'traitor'
this provost must live a very sheltered life