ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

World class mail jobs? help!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Posts: 180
Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Dumpys Rusty Nuts »

Brain Fury wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The idea behind WCM is a methodology actually proven to work - but mainly on production lines, where people screw the same nut for 1000 identical products all day every day, by improving standardized activities and processes, it aims to eliminate wast.

It might even work in Mail Centres and on indoor stuff, but the spanner in the works is our basic unit is not the same every day and that corrupts it.

Also if I may be so bold the way they do WCM in Royal Mail is completely inappropriate. You don't need pretty pictures and posting simulators that's part of the training world. WCM should be stuff like portering (if done logically), Feeding IPS, plotting the most efficient way to get the mail from the wagon to the sorting area (that includes loading the wagon correctly). Also the biggest clash is that MCs may be doing WCM to their benefit, but they aren't aware that whats more efficient for them, is not necessarily efficient for the rest of the pipeline.

RM basically look at WCM on a unit by unit, or even work area by work area basis, for it to work properly it needs to treat the whole pipeline as one single entity, not separate autonomous ones.
Funny you should say that because that is exactly what Sue Whalley said at the managers conference in March. Well, she wasn't specifically referring to WCM but the recent restructuring has been done with the aim of working in a more pipeline based approach
You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley.
Are you tooling her?
Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by spiderj »

Bleh just bleh

:coolr
I won
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Well I have this little something for Moya Brian but I don't keep spouting her philosophy.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Brain Fury »

Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The idea behind WCM is a methodology actually proven to work - but mainly on production lines, where people screw the same nut for 1000 identical products all day every day, by improving standardized activities and processes, it aims to eliminate wast.

It might even work in Mail Centres and on indoor stuff, but the spanner in the works is our basic unit is not the same every day and that corrupts it.

Also if I may be so bold the way they do WCM in Royal Mail is completely inappropriate. You don't need pretty pictures and posting simulators that's part of the training world. WCM should be stuff like portering (if done logically), Feeding IPS, plotting the most efficient way to get the mail from the wagon to the sorting area (that includes loading the wagon correctly). Also the biggest clash is that MCs may be doing WCM to their benefit, but they aren't aware that whats more efficient for them, is not necessarily efficient for the rest of the pipeline.

RM basically look at WCM on a unit by unit, or even work area by work area basis, for it to work properly it needs to treat the whole pipeline as one single entity, not separate autonomous ones.
Funny you should say that because that is exactly what Sue Whalley said at the managers conference in March. Well, she wasn't specifically referring to WCM but the recent restructuring has been done with the aim of working in a more pipeline based approach
You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley.
Are you tooling her?
Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
Just the kind of mature comment I would have expected. I don't suppose you even know who she is do you.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Tman »

You may as well give up Brain and save the wear on your keyboard. They all "know people who know people who've said..."etc etc.
Mind you, those keyboard experts are right in one respect, namely WCM is a load of bollix, not by concept, but by the usual RM way of half-heartedly doing anything and employing those (for the project and implementation) who would otherwise be jobless.
TPM was a better concept but that also died a death on manager apathy, OPG general incompetence and CWU intransigence. I'm guessing that within five years or so it won't be voluntary, but compulsory to comply with these efficiency programmes, and failure will lead to a short trip down the road, and many will then hark back to the "good old days" of crappy crayon cartoons and primary school level pie charts.. :whistle
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Posts: 180
Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Dumpys Rusty Nuts »

Brain Fury wrote:
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The idea behind WCM is a methodology actually proven to work - but mainly on production lines, where people screw the same nut for 1000 identical products all day every day, by improving standardized activities and processes, it aims to eliminate wast.

It might even work in Mail Centres and on indoor stuff, but the spanner in the works is our basic unit is not the same every day and that corrupts it.

Also if I may be so bold the way they do WCM in Royal Mail is completely inappropriate. You don't need pretty pictures and posting simulators that's part of the training world. WCM should be stuff like portering (if done logically), Feeding IPS, plotting the most efficient way to get the mail from the wagon to the sorting area (that includes loading the wagon correctly). Also the biggest clash is that MCs may be doing WCM to their benefit, but they aren't aware that whats more efficient for them, is not necessarily efficient for the rest of the pipeline.

RM basically look at WCM on a unit by unit, or even work area by work area basis, for it to work properly it needs to treat the whole pipeline as one single entity, not separate autonomous ones.
Funny you should say that because that is exactly what Sue Whalley said at the managers conference in March. Well, she wasn't specifically referring to WCM but the recent restructuring has been done with the aim of working in a more pipeline based approach
You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley.
Are you tooling her?
Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
Just the kind of mature comment I would have expected. I don't suppose you even know who she is do you.
No idea who she is, maybe you could send me a couple of photo,s.
I don't want any with stains on
Its called name dropping, its done by people who think they are more important than they really are,
Bert66
Posts: 76
Joined: 16 Jun 2007, 09:59

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Bert66 »

Tman wrote:You may as well give up Brain and save the wear on your keyboard. They all "know people who know people who've said..."etc etc.
Mind you, those keyboard experts are right in one respect, namely WCM is a load of bollix, not by concept, but by the usual RM way of half-heartedly doing anything and employing those (for the project and implementation) who would otherwise be jobless.
TPM was a better concept but that also died a death on manager apathy, OPG general incompetence and CWU intransigence. I'm guessing that within five years or so it won't be voluntary, but compulsory to comply with these efficiency programmes, and failure will lead to a short trip down the road, and many will then hark back to the "good old days" of crappy crayon cartoons and primary school level pie charts.. :whistle
Really? Care to explain how the OPG was so incompetent?
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Brain Fury »

Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The idea behind WCM is a methodology actually proven to work - but mainly on production lines, where people screw the same nut for 1000 identical products all day every day, by improving standardized activities and processes, it aims to eliminate wast.

It might even work in Mail Centres and on indoor stuff, but the spanner in the works is our basic unit is not the same every day and that corrupts it.

Also if I may be so bold the way they do WCM in Royal Mail is completely inappropriate. You don't need pretty pictures and posting simulators that's part of the training world. WCM should be stuff like portering (if done logically), Feeding IPS, plotting the most efficient way to get the mail from the wagon to the sorting area (that includes loading the wagon correctly). Also the biggest clash is that MCs may be doing WCM to their benefit, but they aren't aware that whats more efficient for them, is not necessarily efficient for the rest of the pipeline.

RM basically look at WCM on a unit by unit, or even work area by work area basis, for it to work properly it needs to treat the whole pipeline as one single entity, not separate autonomous ones.
Funny you should say that because that is exactly what Sue Whalley said at the managers conference in March. Well, she wasn't specifically referring to WCM but the recent restructuring has been done with the aim of working in a more pipeline based approach
You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley.
Are you tooling her?
Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
Just the kind of mature comment I would have expected. I don't suppose you even know who she is do you.
No idea who she is, maybe you could send me a couple of photo,s.
I don't want any with stains on
Its called name dropping, its done by people who think they are more important than they really are,
If you don't know who she is, how can you accuse me of name dropping? Lies, stupidity and offensiveness all in one post - good even by your standards.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by spiderj »

Anyway. Back on topic for op

In our office they are beginning to use wcm as a stick to beat the opg into submission

If your getting into it
Try not to be a bam
:thumbup
I won
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Brain Fury wrote:If you don't know who she is, how can you accuse me of name dropping? Lies, stupidity and offensiveness all in one post - good even by your standards.
Of course he knows who she is and lets be grown up here Brian it is amusing as I pointed out to Moya :wave
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Brain Fury »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:If you don't know who she is, how can you accuse me of name dropping? Lies, stupidity and offensiveness all in one post - good even by your standards.
Of course he knows who she is and lets be grown up here Brian it is amusing as I pointed out to Moya :wave
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley. Are you tooling her? Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
dvbuk55 wrote:Well I have this little something for Moya Brian but I don't keep spouting her philosophy.
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:No idea who she is, maybe you could send me a couple of photo,s. I don't want any with stains on. Its called name dropping, its done by people who think they are more important than they really are,
Yes, I should be grown up. Hilarious
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Brain Fury wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:If you don't know who she is, how can you accuse me of name dropping? Lies, stupidity and offensiveness all in one post - good even by your standards.
Of course he knows who she is and lets be grown up here Brian it is amusing as I pointed out to Moya :wave
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley. Are you tooling her? Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
dvbuk55 wrote:Well I have this little something for Moya Brian but I don't keep spouting her philosophy.
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:No idea who she is, maybe you could send me a couple of photo,s. I don't want any with stains on. Its called name dropping, its done by people who think they are more important than they really are,
Yes, I should be grown up. Hilarious
I thought so too, then of course I do have a sense of humour - oh just in case you're worried about your reputation, I don't really know Moya I was just name dropping but I have seen her on the telly:cuppa
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Brain Fury »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:If you don't know who she is, how can you accuse me of name dropping? Lies, stupidity and offensiveness all in one post - good even by your standards.
Of course he knows who she is and lets be grown up here Brian it is amusing as I pointed out to Moya :wave
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:You keep mentioning this Sue Whalley. Are you tooling her? Maybe you just fantasize about posting your peg in her freshly dusted box :no no .
dvbuk55 wrote:Well I have this little something for Moya Brian but I don't keep spouting her philosophy.
Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:No idea who she is, maybe you could send me a couple of photo,s. I don't want any with stains on. Its called name dropping, its done by people who think they are more important than they really are,
Yes, I should be grown up. Hilarious
I thought so too, then of course I do have a sense of humour - oh just in case you're worried about your reputation, I don't really know Moya I was just name dropping but I have seen her on the telly:cuppa
I'll be the judge of that. Still you have included the inevitable :cuppa at the end of your post and there's no come back to that
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Brain Fury wrote:I'll be the judge of that. Still you have included the inevitable :cuppa at the end of your post and there's no come back to that
A dark chocolate digestive would be nice - but as a diabetic I cannot be too rash, better make it a plain rich tea, then I can dip it in - no pun intended of course :cool
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: World class mail jobs? help!

Post by Brain Fury »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:I'll be the judge of that. Still you have included the inevitable :cuppa at the end of your post and there's no come back to that
A dark chocolate digestive would be nice - but as a diabetic I cannot be too rash, better make it a plain rich tea, then I can dip it in - no pun intended of course :cool
As a fellow diabetic, it should be no biscuits at all but I am a great believer in allowing yourself a treat from time to time and dark chocolate digestives would be my choice too.