ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Kezroyalmail wrote: What! So if the porch is open and there's no other place to post LETTERS I have to P739 them letters?
No, you endorse them as "Insecure Delivery Point" and return them to the office.
Kezroyalmail wrote:Holy crap this is doin my head in.
Sometimes I open the porch when they have a low letterbox (saves my back) so then I realise it's not safe and have to take the letters back to office
That's why you shouldn't open a porch door, unless its to access the official delivery point. Once you KNOW its an insecure address you can't deliver, if the door is shut then it can be considered as secure, till you open it.
Kezroyalmail wrote:Holy crap this is doin my head in.
It will if you are taking all the chances as its your job on the line, and the customers are at no risk whatsoever.

My choice - a sore ear from an upset customer

Rather than a sore ear from telling the Jobcentre why I lost my last job.

#justsaying
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Gold Fox »

I have very nasty and bad experience in this field . My advice is ... please do NOT deliver to neighbour.
thehobbit
Posts: 76
Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by thehobbit »

Gold Fox wrote:I have very nasty and bad experience in this field . My advice is ... please do NOT deliver to neighbour.
having also had a bad experience , i would have to agree, unless of course you feel that your manager will back you 100% if something goes wrong :crazy: :crazy: , but the unfortunate fact is they will just take the customers side with out any margin for error and take you down the conduct route, as i have found out to my cost 2 years on my record as a conduct ,even though the customer got the packet,(i checked the next day and asked them to contact the depot ,to confirm but they did not ) that i left with a neighbour the same day, they complained they did not get the packet (showed as delivered as tracked and on the PDA) as there neighbour had gone out for a few hours
Blackie252
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 May 2014, 15:10
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Blackie252 »

What do you do? Image
upload img
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32815
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by POSTMAN »

Personally i'd ignore it. ^^^^^^
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by OnAFlyer »

Our Dom says categorically that if you follow printed instructions on a tracked you will not be held accountable should anything happen, as it's an offical nominated Safeplace. However, you can still return to office if you deem it too insecure.

Personally I'd be leaving that.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by fishtank »

OnAFlyer wrote:Our Dom says categorically.....
I'm surprised he can manage such a big word. The bottom line is though if the heat comes down on him to conduct someone due to a complaint over a missing Tracked item is he going to stick his neck out for you? He might the first time if he's a decent guy but he wont keep doing it if your office becomes a high impact unit for complaints.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Danelectro »

I got a card recently by DPD and when organising redelivery I told them to just stick it through the letterbox (it needed a signature) and in return I had to sign a section on the notice left card taking full responsibility etc and leave it at the front door for them to pick up.
zooom
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 May 2013, 15:43
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by zooom »

I left a parcel with neighbour last week, put card through to notify the recipient it was next door.....3 days later I arrived at the delivery point and there the parcel was lying on the door step of the house it was addressed to. I knocked on the door of the person I left it with and they said they had got sick of it being in their house so she just threw it onto the addressee doorstep. Great!! I won't be leaving anything with neighbours in future. :arrrghhh
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Gold Fox »

I say it again .... do not leave at neighbours ... just bring the damn thing back to office.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by OnAFlyer »

fishtank wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Our Dom says categorically.....
I'm surprised he can manage such a big word. The bottom line is though if the heat comes down on him to conduct someone due to a complaint over a missing Tracked item is he going to stick his neck out for you? He might the first time if he's a decent guy but he wont keep doing it if your office becomes a high impact unit for complaints.
We've had a lot of discussions about stuff like this lately as people are getting sacked and suspended in local offices (and ours) for doing things they shouldn't such as signing for recordeds etc.

RM are desperate to raise the tracked 1st time delivery rate, and a nominated Safeplace printed on the item is official - you are hot held responsible if you follow that instruction. It's also been on RMTV recently. Unless it's something really stupid such as 'leave outside the front door' then I can't see why anything would go missing anyway.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Tuffers1875 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote: What! So if the porch is open and there's no other place to post LETTERS I have to P739 them letters?
No, you endorse them as "Insecure Delivery Point" and return them to the office.
Yeah right. Now all of a sudden we start bringing letters back because a porch is unlocked. Why don't we try getting rid of them with a neighbour, and say to the neighbour, 'can you take next doors letters because their porch is open and I'm afraid the mail sort shite might get nicked'.

Utter farce!
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by freelunch »

OnAFlyer wrote:... a nominated Safeplace printed on the item is official - you are hot held responsible if you follow that instruction. It's also been on RMTV recently. Unless it's something really stupid such as 'leave outside the front door' then I can't see why anything would go missing anyway.
We've probably all had them though - cardboard-boxed parcels with instructions such as "leave under bush near front door" or "behind locked side gate".
People writing these instructions appear to believe the weather will be just as fine when the parcel is delivered as it possibly was when they ordered the goods. And all parcels are rainproof :chuckle
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tuffers1875 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote: What! So if the porch is open and there's no other place to post LETTERS I have to P739 them letters?
No, you endorse them as "Insecure Delivery Point" and return them to the office.
Yeah right. Now all of a sudden we start bringing letters back because a porch is unlocked. Why don't we try getting rid of them with a neighbour, and say to the neighbour, 'can you take next doors letters because their porch is open and I'm afraid the mail sort shite might get nicked'.

Utter farce!
I have returned mail to the office because of an unsecure delivery point - I endorsed them as such and entered it in the log. No comeback, well only a pat on the back from the DOM (That memory still gives me sleepless nights).

As to leaving letters with the neighbour, you could give it a try although I am not certain they would recognise what Mail Sort shite is, but more importantly as we have received no directive on leaving letters - unless they are recorded, not sure if management would allow it.

All I, and others, are trying to say is that do whatever you want, but make sure you understand the consequences. Me personally I'd rather not take the chance and keep my job, rather than keep residents sweet for a £10 tip at Christmas and a trip to the jobcentre if it all goes arse over elbow.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour

Post by Darren Bent »

and if we all bring back mail and parcels due to insecure porches, it will cause a lot of problems. Complaints from customers for not delivery and or leaving them in porch. It will reduce number for delivery first time target. It can't work, plus bad neighbours experience and some neighbours get annoyed if you disturb them.