ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Glossop postman ripped up letters

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/lo ... -1-6743877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Glossop postman has received a suspended sentence, after he had a breakdown and destroyed hundreds of items of post.

Simon Richardson was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, at High Peak Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

An investigation was launched after a member of the public witnessed him try to tear up letters and throw them in a wheelie bin on Pikes Lane, Glossop, on April 2.

Police discovered 187 postal packets were damaged in the incident.

A further 194 items of post were found when police searched the 40-year-old’s home on Pikes Lane on April 8, including 86 in a wheelie bin and 89 in a ripped up condition.

Officers also recovered four mail bags, worth £100.

Richardson admitted two charges of criminal damage, one charge of theft and one count of intentionally delaying 34 packets, by breaching his duty at an earlier hearing on July 15.

Karen Rolls, defending, said: “He has no previous convictions, he’s extremely remorseful and deeply ashamed. He’s always worked hard for a living.

“It’s not a financially motivated offence, this was a man having a breakdown. There were a number of colleagues off sick and rounds had been increased.”

She added: “It was an unsophisticated offence. The evidence was there, he hadn’t gone off to the local tip. He acted in a haze and a blur.”

She told magistrates he was under a “great deal of pressure” and was the sole carer for three teenage daughters.

Ms Rolls added that her client had recently been diagnosed with depression and his mother’s cancer treatment had “tipped him over the edge”.

The court heard the defendant was “very distressed” about the incident and described it as “an out of body experience”.

Addressing Richardson, chairman of the bench Eric Hilton said: “We view this as a high breach of trust, of the Royal Mail and its customers.

“You’ve already said it was stupid. You acted under pressure, but it wasn’t a good thing to do.”

Mr Hilton explained the bench had suspended his sentence, due to his good character, his remorse and his personal circumstances.

Richardson was ordered to comply with a community order consisting of a 12-month supervision and a 12-week curfew.

He was also ordered to pay an £80 victim surcharge, compensation of £1,300 costs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by Lounge Lizard »

As "There were a number of colleagues off sick and rounds had been increased”, he was under a “great deal of pressure”, was the sole carer for three teenage daughters, he "had recently been diagnosed with depression and his mother’s cancer treatment had “tipped him over the edge” I just might believe, in the probably absence of any support from management, the mention of "his good character". :shock:
No excuse for what he did, but maybe, on this occasion, a suspended sentence was appropriate.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by Judgee »

Lounge Lizard wrote:As "There were a number of colleagues off sick and rounds had been increased”, he was under a “great deal of pressure”, was the sole carer for three teenage daughters, he "had recently been diagnosed with depression and his mother’s cancer treatment had “tipped him over the edge” I just might believe, in the probably absence of any support from management, the mention of "his good character". :shock:
No excuse for what he did, but maybe, on this occasion, a suspended sentence was appropriate.

Yeah, perhaps I am going soft in my old age but I do feel a little sympathetic towards him. Many as time I have felt like throwing all my mail in a skip and going down the pub. Haven't done it yet but it could still happen. :hmmmm
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by noggin1969 »

TBH there is a great deal of difference between the thieving or lazy postie and someone who is genuinely having a mental break down. Unfortunately he'll still be out of work with a criminal conviction which won't help matters. But least he didn't do anything more extreme or turn up at the office with a 1000 yrd stare and a holdall :hmmmm
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Judgee wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:As "There were a number of colleagues off sick and rounds had been increased”, he was under a “great deal of pressure”, was the sole carer for three teenage daughters, he "had recently been diagnosed with depression and his mother’s cancer treatment had “tipped him over the edge” I just might believe, in the probably absence of any support from management, the mention of "his good character". :shock:
No excuse for what he did, but maybe, on this occasion, a suspended sentence was appropriate.

Yeah, perhaps I am going soft in my old age but I do feel a little sympathetic towards him. Many as time I have felt like throwing all my mail in a skip and going down the pub. Haven't done it yet but it could still happen. :hmmmm
I have never felt like throwing all my mail in a skip and going down the pub. :shock: But in this weather ? :crazy:
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by baldrick »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/lo ... -1-6743877
Officers also recovered four mail bags, worth £100.
I take it those were delivery pouches, do they really cost £25 each?

this was a man having a breakdown. There were a number of colleagues off sick and rounds had been increased.”
I wonder how many more posties already under stress will be tipped over the edge by lapsing.
westham000
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
Gender: Male

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by westham000 »

Got no sympathy for him. We all have problems in life, I should know I've had my fair share. But not once did I ever think of dumping or destroying mail. The business offers various support through different channels. Could have taken unpaid leave, reduced hours, inside duties for a short period, gone sick for a few weeks, paid a colleague to do half his round 2 or 3 times a week etc. should have seen the welfare officer and explained the situation . How long does it take to deliver a couple of hundred letters? Now he has lost his job and has a police record. :Applause
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by terry2972 »

I just hope you never suffer from mental health issues
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by Judgee »

westham000 wrote:Got no sympathy for him. We all have problems in life, I should know I've had my fair share. But not once did I ever think of dumping or destroying mail. The business offers various support through different channels. Could have taken unpaid leave, reduced hours, inside duties for a short period, gone sick for a few weeks, paid a colleague to do half his round 2 or 3 times a week etc. should have seen the welfare officer and explained the situation . How long does it take to deliver a couple of hundred letters? Now he has lost his job and has a police record. :Applause

That's the thoughts of someone thinking rationally. This guy wasn't, that's the point! You seek help/support if you recognise something's wrong and in many cases like this you don't think logically at all! :roll:


As has been mentioned, let's hope you never suffer from mental health issues! :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
westham000
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
Gender: Male

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by westham000 »

I do suffer from mental health issues! I'm on medication. How many posties also suffer from depression and mental health issues and are single parents or have a partner or parent with a serious illness! I should imagine hundreds within the business . They all don't go round dumping mail, if they did we would be in a hell of a state! :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

westham000 wrote:I do suffer from mental health issues! I'm on medication.
Which if true, makes the fact you have no sympathy for him even more difficult to understand.

You can still have sympathy for someone, even if you disagree with his actions.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Glossop postman ripped up letters

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
westham000 wrote:I do suffer from mental health issues! I'm on medication.
Which if true, makes the fact you have no sympathy for him even more difficult to understand.

You can still have sympathy for someone, even if you disagree with his actions.
TBT,
But there's 'mental health issues' and 'mental health issues' and maybe it's not for you or me to guess what 'issues' westham000 has ! :shock: