ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by SpacePhoenix »

villan wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.
That's because they arrive at the MCs separate. MCs don't have the time, space or staff to be able to separate the recordeds from the normals
That might be the case at the moment but RM could change its procedure for handling Signed For mail by keeping it separate right from when a customer pays for it in a Post Office or wherever. That's what currently happens with Specials so there's no reason why it can't also be done with Signed For. The Signed For mail would never even get mixed up with the normal mail and so no effort would be required to separate it out. This change simply requires the will to implement it.
Still wouldn't work, most MCs are short on space as it is. Don't forget that with the various MC closures and mergers over the last few years, many MCs cover a lot more DOs. Say a MC covers 20 DOs, for inward that would mean 20 more sleeves needed for packets (there's often a shortage of sleeves as it is), 20 more selections on flat and letter frames and it would mean more manual letters as recorded mech letters would have to be sorted to manual selections as you can't have walk sequencing for just recorded letters and most machines don't have anywhere near enough stackers to have separate batches for recorded letters
scotspostie777
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 18:50
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by scotspostie777 »

Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
Heard that actually happened today. A family member who stays in the area (Inverclyde) called me tonight and told me.

Anyone from Inverclyde office confirm this? Hopefully a false rumour
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by bustedflush »

scotspostie777 wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
Heard that actually happened today. A family member who stays in the area (Inverclyde) called me tonight and told me.

Anyone from Inverclyde office confirm this? Hopefully a false rumour
Probably and hopefully a rumour, cemented by the fact it's almost impossible to get warm in Scotland. Really hope it didn't happen, as we had one last year and this shouldn't be happening ANY year.
Treacle12
Posts: 16
Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 17:07
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Treacle12 »

Wear a Hi-Viz in this heat ...no chance .I look where I am going especially crossing roads :)
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Jpro747 »

Still, it could be a lot worse. I wonder how our postie colleagues from hot countries like Spain etc feel?
At least we get to wear shorts and t shirt. The last time I went on holiday, I had to feel for the poor sods that were unloading suitcases off the plane in the heat of the day in Turkey. It was 40c and they were wearing overalls and a hi vis jacket!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by krussel »

Jpro747 wrote:Still, it could be a lot worse. I wonder how our postie colleagues from hot countries like Spain etc feel?
At least we get to wear shorts and t shirt. The last time I went on holiday, I had to feel for the poor sods that were unloading suitcases off the plane in the heat of the day in Turkey. It was 40c and they were wearing overalls and a hi vis jacket!

When I ve been in hot countries you tend to find that things slow down during the hottest time of the day. Workers often take a mid afternoon break but then work later into the eve.

If you live in Turkey you would become used to the heat.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You do.

I came back home after 6 months in Belize and checked the weather forecast as we landed. It said heat wave so I left my coat in my bags and just wore a shirt and jeans. Got outside and was shivering even though its was 22C. Didn't half get some funny looks on the train wearing a jumper and drinking hot tea. :left: :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by spiderj »

Least you wouldn't have had to check yer shoes for beasties

Seriously though were just not that used to the heat
So we aren't acclimatised to it

Hi Vis off
Hat on
Water in

And remove yourself from outdoor work if feeling confused/dizzy/sick etc

And prepare for the inquisition......sorry......safety investigation
:thumbup
I won
speedy999
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Jul 2013, 22:52
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by speedy999 »

Hi, just had a week off, got a text today saying our start time is now 8.30 mon / tue as mail wont be arriving till 8.45. Were not a remote office, just north of york,, since i started 31/2 yrs ago weve slowly moved from 6.30 starts oto this,,, what next
Hitcher
Posts: 1537
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Hitcher »

9-5.
zooom
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 May 2013, 15:43
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by zooom »

No, no and no again! I like to have a life thank you. I don't want to go back to getting up at 4:30am and spending my entire life feeling tired. :arrrghhh
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by dave72 »

I hated the 5am starts. In bed for 9:30pm and up at 4am

I much preferred the 7:15 start. We start at 8am in my office, out in the mid-afternoon sun is killing us