I think technically, then yes you should take it back to the DO endorsed. However, common sense should apply. I certainly know what I would do in this situation and have done for nearly 10 years and not had a single complaint or issue regarding this.greengiant wrote:I've noticed a lot of people leaving their front door open during this hot weather. I take it then, you shouldn't post through the letter box on the open door while calling out "Post!" as this shows the delivery point is insecure? At least calling out "post" lets the addressee know that they have mail. Or should one return the mail and endorse it as unsecure location?steve1873 wrote:The argument is, if the porch door is shut, we are to assume that it is locked and thus a secure delivery point. The minute we have to open a door to leave a parcel, we are showing to ourselves and any would be thieves on-looking that the delivery is not secure.dave72 wrote:What if their letterbox is on the unlocked porch door, can you not deliver their mail?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
I use an HCT on a rural delivery with long drives, there is not a chance i am going to knock on neighbours doors to get rid of a parcel, my delivery span is 9.5 miles and takes me up to my cut off time including lapsing, the union are totally out of touch with the workforce for agreeing to this load of sh-te!POSTMAN wrote:https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2014/0 ... e-delivery
Our guide to delivering first time, every time
To help you deliver first, time every time, we’ve put together a dos and don’ts checklist. Follow these guidelines to boost your first-time delivery success rate.
Do
Leave enough time for the customer to come to the door and knock twice
Attempt Delivery to Neighbour every time your customer is not in
Use local knowledge, look for signs that a neighbour is in – e.g. music playing, windows open, car in the driveway
Follow any Safeplace instructions on RM Tracked 24/48 items
Complete a P739 Something For You card. Leave it with the original address and ensure you PDA scan as delivered.
Don’t
Leave any mail where it’s not safe and secure – do not doorstep
Leave mail or a parcel sticking out of a letterbox
Deliver to a customer or neighbour who is displaying an opt-out sticker
Attempt Delivery to Neighbour for Special Deliveries and Inbound International Signed For items
Remember: We’ve agreed with the CWU that Delivery to Neighbour is now a Royal Mail standard. Where no opt out exists and it's safe and secure, it must be attempted every time a customer is not in.*
* Special Deliveries and Inbound International Signed For items are the only items exempt from Delivery to Neighbour.
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
The assistant manager at our DO briefed us today on the matter. He said its quicker to try the neighbours than it is to sign the tracked and recorded parcels in at the end of the day. 
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
Yawn yawn feckity yawn. If they ain't in, tough sh1t, they ain't getting it.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2034
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
How far away from the office does your delivery start and how far away when it finishes?malcolm3011 wrote: I use an HCT on a rural delivery with long drives, there is not a chance i am going to knock on neighbours doors to get rid of a parcel, my delivery span is 9.5 miles and takes me up to my cut off time including lapsing, the union are totally out of touch with the workforce for agreeing to this load of sh-te!
-
greatredwine
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 21:22
- Gender: Female
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
Under the do's it states:
"Complete a P739 Something For You card. Leave it with the original address and ensure you PDA scan as delivered.!
I always scan it as safe place. I'm thinking from my own point of view, if I receive a text message to say the item is delivered, I would go ape, as I know there isn't anyone at home to deliver it to. So isn't "safe-place" more correct?
"Complete a P739 Something For You card. Leave it with the original address and ensure you PDA scan as delivered.!
I always scan it as safe place. I'm thinking from my own point of view, if I receive a text message to say the item is delivered, I would go ape, as I know there isn't anyone at home to deliver it to. So isn't "safe-place" more correct?
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
our DOM is only really worried about the tracked deliveries as they show up what failed and where.
obviously Specials as well.
normal packets and Recorded, we are asked to try a neighbour if we think someone will be likely to be in.
I have also had 2 people refuse to take anymore packets in for their neighbours as they are always getting asked to.
what are we supposed to do about these, keep knocking day after day and receive the wrath of the neighbour?
obviously Specials as well.
normal packets and Recorded, we are asked to try a neighbour if we think someone will be likely to be in.
I have also had 2 people refuse to take anymore packets in for their neighbours as they are always getting asked to.
what are we supposed to do about these, keep knocking day after day and receive the wrath of the neighbour?
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
Maybe the rationale is that once you've used up all the goodwill from one unpaid collection point, oops I mean neighbour, you will have a veritable buffet of unsuspecting dupes remaining that RM can ponce off. Eventually you will have to resort to the original neighbour that you pissed off but hopefully by then they'll be more amenable.
-
antcpfc
- Posts: 629
- Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
That must be a national briefing then as we were told the same bull by our area manager.Dalelad wrote:The assistant manager at our DO briefed us today on the matter. He said its quicker to try the neighbours than it is to sign the tracked and recorded parcels in at the end of the day.
Slider tool. Lol.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
Good thing about having long arms is I can do the old reach around to leave post behind the door out of site! Easier than trying to mail it through the letterbox on an open door!steve1873 wrote:I think technically, then yes you should take it back to the DO endorsed. However, common sense should apply. I certainly know what I would do in this situation and have done for nearly 10 years and not had a single complaint or issue regarding this.greengiant wrote:I've noticed a lot of people leaving their front door open during this hot weather. I take it then, you shouldn't post through the letter box on the open door while calling out "Post!" as this shows the delivery point is insecure? At least calling out "post" lets the addressee know that they have mail. Or should one return the mail and endorse it as unsecure location?steve1873 wrote:The argument is, if the porch door is shut, we are to assume that it is locked and thus a secure delivery point. The minute we have to open a door to leave a parcel, we are showing to ourselves and any would be thieves on-looking that the delivery is not secure.dave72 wrote:What if their letterbox is on the unlocked porch door, can you not deliver their mail?
-
Kezroyalmail
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 19:01
- Gender: Female
Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour
This is pathetic.if the person doesn't want mail left in a unlocked porch,then lock it.if they can't lock it put a sign on door saying please put mail in inner door and parcels send back to office.as if we have all the crap of delivering and we have to make sure the porch is safe.thats the homeowners job.i leave my porch open when expecting a parcel if not I lock it,simple.
-
monkeymutha
- Posts: 317
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
- Gender: Female
- Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit
Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour
What do you do with a recorded letter? Do you get neighbour to sign for it then put it through the letterbox? Or leave it with the neighbour?
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3230
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour
I wouldn't let a neighbour sign for a recorded as the whole point of recorded is the sender wants to know that the intended recipient accepted and received the letter. Ive found many people have refused recorded letters from Gas and Electricity suppliers etcmonkeymutha wrote:What do you do with a recorded letter? Do you get neighbour to sign for it then put it through the letterbox? Or leave it with the neighbour?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don’ts deliver to neighbour
1/2 mile to first call and 3/4 mile from the last call back to the office, takes 20 mins before i even post a letter.A2B wrote:How far away from the office does your delivery start and how far away when it finishes?malcolm3011 wrote: I use an HCT on a rural delivery with long drives, there is not a chance i am going to knock on neighbours doors to get rid of a parcel, my delivery span is 9.5 miles and takes me up to my cut off time including lapsing, the union are totally out of touch with the workforce for agreeing to this load of sh-te!
-
albebb
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 18 Feb 2011, 18:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Do's and don'ts deliver to neighbour
it takes you 20mins to walk half a mile?