until something goes wrong, then watch outchrisj wrote:I have never been told not to give mail out on the street. And I do read quite a lot of RM stuff and I have not heard of such a policy. As long as you can verify that it is the person - you can always ask for ID, why over-complicate things.Sidley wrote:The answer is because we have been told by management that under no circumstances do you give mail to anyone in the street, end of. They didn't even trot out their usual bullshit prevarication, you know the one, the phrase that absolves them of any blame while leaving you wide open to all sorts of aggro. "use your common sense"chrisj wrote:I am not sure why a postie will categorically refuse to give a parcel or Signed For upon receipt of a P739 whilst still on the round
DTN has now obviously superseded the idea that you cannot hand mail out on the street. You are effectively given mail and sometimes asking people to sign for things that do not belong to them. The competition is doing so and RM wants us to do the same - you do as you are asked; simples!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
delivering to neighbours
-
thehobbit
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
-
thehobbit
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
why not let them walk to you while you carry on ,its not your fault !!norm wrote:Cue cries that 'you didn't even knock'. Normally you're halfway down the street by the time they come out so have to deadwalk back to explain it to them.Caniel wrote:Some people are stupid and too lazy to read, I get people most days coming after me flapping the grey surcharge cards because they think it's a p739
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
I am not in favour of DTN as a Royal standard or the 'sort of' mandatory aspect of things but they are the employers and this is what they want... The CWU has agreed to things, so all we can do is work to the contractual time, do what they say and if and when things go wrong then we can say we have done what they asked and hopefully the Union will back us to the hilt.thehobbit wrote:until something goes wrong, then watch outchrisj wrote:I have never been told not to give mail out on the street. And I do read quite a lot of RM stuff and I have not heard of such a policy. As long as you can verify that it is the person - you can always ask for ID, why over-complicate things.Sidley wrote:The answer is because we have been told by management that under no circumstances do you give mail to anyone in the street, end of. They didn't even trot out their usual bullshit prevarication, you know the one, the phrase that absolves them of any blame while leaving you wide open to all sorts of aggro. "use your common sense"chrisj wrote:I am not sure why a postie will categorically refuse to give a parcel or Signed For upon receipt of a P739 whilst still on the round
DTN has now obviously superseded the idea that you cannot hand mail out on the street. You are effectively given mail and sometimes asking people to sign for things that do not belong to them. The competition is doing so and RM wants us to do the same - you do as you are asked; simples!![]()
We now have a chart for this in our office but just for the Tracked Items. It is still not always possible to deliver to a neighbour and discretion should still be used but you can always indicate on the P739 and the parcel itself that I tried x & y neighbour - I do that (but just for tracked).
If I see a neighbour or know the place well then I use my common sense. Safe places are also encouraged - there was a message on PDA for this. Safe places can be established with the householder/customer if you know the round or a regular and I do tend to ask as I go along; I am sure that is what most other posties do anyway.
Mandatory DTN is a pain (sometimes) but as long as we have time to do it then we should take that pain and move on - until they scrap it, if they ever do.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
but trying to deliver a parcel to a disabled neighbour, who is the only resident at home in a Close of 12 houses everyday is highly embarrassing especially when Hermes, TNT and FedEx have already tried to get rid of their parcels with that person as well
-
thehobbit
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
not a problem as i have yet to finish early,always late or just scrapping through back on time , ,no such thing as a safe place any way unless it is written on the tracked or packet when i will check with a manager before going out if he wants me to leave it , i refer back to my reply above , it will be fine until somthing goes wrong , then watch out as i have already found out to my cost ,did the same left a parcel where i was asked to by a customer , with a 739 saying where it was ,they said they did not get it ,complained they did not get the parcel so now on a conduct for 2 years, so it is never happening againchrisj wrote:I am not in favour of DTN as a Royal standard or the 'sort of' mandatory aspect of things but they are the employers and this is what they want... The CWU has agreed to things, so all we can do is work to the contractual time, do what they say and if and when things go wrong then we can say we have done what they asked and hopefully the Union will back us to the hilt.thehobbit wrote:until something goes wrong, then watch outchrisj wrote:I have never been told not to give mail out on the street. And I do read quite a lot of RM stuff and I have not heard of such a policy. As long as you can verify that it is the person - you can always ask for ID, why over-complicate things.Sidley wrote:The answer is because we have been told by management that under no circumstances do you give mail to anyone in the street, end of. They didn't even trot out their usual bullshit prevarication, you know the one, the phrase that absolves them of any blame while leaving you wide open to all sorts of aggro. "use your common sense"chrisj wrote:I am not sure why a postie will categorically refuse to give a parcel or Signed For upon receipt of a P739 whilst still on the round
DTN has now obviously superseded the idea that you cannot hand mail out on the street. You are effectively given mail and sometimes asking people to sign for things that do not belong to them. The competition is doing so and RM wants us to do the same - you do as you are asked; simples!![]()
We now have a chart for this in our office but just for the Tracked Items. It is still not always possible to deliver to a neighbour and discretion should still be used but you can always indicate on the P739 and the parcel itself that I tried x & y neighbour - I do that (but just for tracked).
If I see a neighbour or know the place well then I use my common sense. Safe places are also encouraged - there was a message on PDA for this. Safe places can be established with the householder/customer if you know the round or a regular and I do tend to ask as I go along; I am sure that is what most other posties do anyway.
Mandatory DTN is a pain (sometimes) but as long as we have time to do it then we should take that pain and move on - until they scrap it, if they ever do.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
I understand your cautious approach.
However, we are mere employees... Things will go wrong sometimes but when a employer says do this and our Union said it is OK then to refuse is to risk being disciplined.
Remember, I still said discretion is important in all cases. There are areas where they might not be safe places or you will not risk it and there are places where there are. There are customers you can absolutely trust and those you might be cautious about, so once bitten twice shy all that but RM talks about DTN and Safe Places and it is on the P739 card...
Sadly, we have been finishing early this summer so it will be hard to make excuses - managers can make posties go back out... Although, if all posties start on time and use the right equipment and take full breaks - we should not be finishing too too early. * Even DTD numbers have dropped.
However, we are mere employees... Things will go wrong sometimes but when a employer says do this and our Union said it is OK then to refuse is to risk being disciplined.
Remember, I still said discretion is important in all cases. There are areas where they might not be safe places or you will not risk it and there are places where there are. There are customers you can absolutely trust and those you might be cautious about, so once bitten twice shy all that but RM talks about DTN and Safe Places and it is on the P739 card...
Sadly, we have been finishing early this summer so it will be hard to make excuses - managers can make posties go back out... Although, if all posties start on time and use the right equipment and take full breaks - we should not be finishing too too early. * Even DTD numbers have dropped.
-
thehobbit
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
- Gender: Male
Re: delivering to neighbours
unfortunatly we cant trust the managers to not conduct us for the smallest error/mistake now as i have found out to my cost ,all stuff which might have warrented a word ,but no more before now have a 3 weeks and many meetings to fact find and then have a final decision but with the parcel increase and the 1/2 hour extra so called efficency every day even with the slight decrease in letters which does not make a great differance unless i miss a few drives as you all know 1 letter or 10 to a house you still have to go there , i come in on time take my break so am finding it very hard to finish on time and most days have a loop or 2 taken off most days with the harrasment from the managerschrisj wrote:I understand your cautious approach.
However, we are mere employees... Things will go wrong sometimes but when a employer says do this and our Union said it is OK then to refuse is to risk being disciplined.
Remember, I still said discretion is important in all cases. There are areas where they might not be safe places or you will not risk it and there are places where there are. There are customers you can absolutely trust and those you might be cautious about, so once bitten twice shy all that but RM talks about DTN and Safe Places and it is on the P739 card...
Sadly, we have been finishing early this summer so it will be hard to make excuses - managers can make posties go back out... Although, if all posties start on time and use the right equipment and take full breaks - we should not be finishing too too early. * Even DTD numbers have dropped.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: delivering to neighbours
Know the feeling mateythehobbit wrote:unfortunatly we cant trust the managers to not conduct us for the smallest error/mistake now as i have found out to my cost ,all stuff which might have warrented a word ,but no more before now have a 3 weeks and many meetings to fact find and then have a final decision but with the parcel increase and the 1/2 hour extra so called efficency every day even with the slight decrease in letters which does not make a great differance unless i miss a few drives as you all know 1 letter or 10 to a house you still have to go there , i come in on time take my break so am finding it very hard to finish on time and most days have a loop or 2 taken off most days with the harrasment from the managerschrisj wrote:I understand your cautious approach.
However, we are mere employees... Things will go wrong sometimes but when a employer says do this and our Union said it is OK then to refuse is to risk being disciplined.
Remember, I still said discretion is important in all cases. There are areas where they might not be safe places or you will not risk it and there are places where there are. There are customers you can absolutely trust and those you might be cautious about, so once bitten twice shy all that but RM talks about DTN and Safe Places and it is on the P739 card...
Sadly, we have been finishing early this summer so it will be hard to make excuses - managers can make posties go back out... Although, if all posties start on time and use the right equipment and take full breaks - we should not be finishing too too early. * Even DTD numbers have dropped.
Stay strong though,the meek shall inherit Nada
I won