ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sold down the river by the union

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by Jamesethefirst »

P739 wrote:I pay my union dues like the next postie do the same job as the next postie but DON'T have the same rights as the next postie..In our office the I am a reserve I DON'T get 1 in 6 Saturdays off and have NO set rotation for a day off...Basically I am treated like shite..About 97% of the office GET'S 1 in 6 Saturdays off including new starts (I have 13 years service) plus they have a set rotation for days off...Now my beef is surly the union is there to look after ALL IT'S MEMBERS NOT JUST SOME they signed an agreement to this affect which leaves me high and dry and to say I am raging is an understatement would the be so keen to sign this off if they were in my shoes I think not...So it's feck you jack am alright from my union thank you very much rant over
Sounds like a grievance issue to me, threaten to keep it going up the chain, that will give them something to do up there. Gather your evidence and make your case bomb proof.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by P739 »

jack wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Whilst the precise number of Saturdays off and the aspirations of employees will vary from unit to unit, both parties believe we can deliver cost effective and reliable options that will maximise the number of Saturdays off for those who wish them.

Royal Mail and CWU commit to achieving at least 1 in 4 Saturdays off for the majority of employees (including reserves) during the roll out of the operational transformation programme
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... -_2010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:hmmmm but what's the majority :hmmmm

another get out clause me thinks.. :thumbdown
Thank you Sir that is my argument entirely... That any agreement should be FOR ALL IT'S MEMBERS not just the majority and stuff the minority ...its a sell out to every reserve like myself
mccoop
Posts: 43
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 16:19

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by mccoop »

Lets Face it Royalmail is so Fragmented working on Local issues at each DO No union rep understands what the next county is doing.What we need is go back to the old days when we had work shops and could talk to the Union.We HAVE been on line since March 17TH what a mess.Planners need to go back to school and do Economics and Maths,have they got any Higher Education.What qualifications have they got to screw up so bad they are an Absolute disgrace and im still picking holes in their prep performance formula. Favouritism rules
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by jack »

Jamesethefirst wrote:
P739 wrote:I pay my union dues like the next postie do the same job as the next postie but DON'T have the same rights as the next postie..In our office the I am a reserve I DON'T get 1 in 6 Saturdays off and have NO set rotation for a day off...Basically I am treated like shite..About 97% of the office GET'S 1 in 6 Saturdays off including new starts (I have 13 years service) plus they have a set rotation for days off...Now my beef is surly the union is there to look after ALL IT'S MEMBERS NOT JUST SOME they signed an agreement to this affect which leaves me high and dry and to say I am raging is an understatement would the be so keen to sign this off if they were in my shoes I think not...So it's feck you jack am alright from my union thank you very much rant over
Sounds like a grievance issue to me, threaten to keep it going up the chain, that will give them something to do up there. Gather your evidence and make your case bomb proof.
Well, if it's anything like our office the more grievances against the DOM the more better their thought of higher up the food chain :roll: , of course, that's just my experience though... I'm sure a utopian office does exist somewhere ;liar
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by miles_peters »

royal mail reserves get treated like s**t no matter how many years service they have. you are just a number to a manager. in my opinion managers have a lot to answer for, as do union reps who don't seem to have any clear idea of a reserves rights. quite frankly its a disgrace. reserves get treated massively unfairly, and when they question it with a manager, they are usually told 'that's how it is' and made to feel like a bad worker. managers play a game with reserves, they lie to them and use threats and intimidation to keep them in line. ive never known a job where managers treat a certain range of its staff in such a disgusting, evil way. they isolate them, and turn their colleagues against them. they put them in situations where they have a high chance of failing time and time again, they create an unhealthy amount of stress for them, and they just get away with it. the union need to step up and end this utterly vile criminal and despicable treatment of royal mail reserves.
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by janitor »

Don't know how long you have been with RM but you will soon notice , they treat everyone like s**t not just the reserves. The same types of threats and bullying are used against walk holders, new and longer serving members alike. Though must admit a lot does depend on how strong the union are, in your particular office.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by bigcol »

jack wrote:Well, if it's anything like our office the more grievances against the DOM the more better their thought of higher up the food chain :roll: , of course, that's just my experience though... I'm sure a utopian office does exist somewhere ;liar
Couldn't happen in our DO as we have a new DOM every month after the previous incumbent has gone off with stress. Was that what you were thinking of? :whistle
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

miles_peters wrote: the union need to step up and end this utterly vile criminal and despicable treatment of royal mail reserves.
As the members are the Union and effectively are what makes a work place strong or weak, could I ask what steps you and your colleagues are taking to address the situation. The Union can do a lot behind the scenes, but it ultimately can do nothing if the members themsleves are not prepared to make a stand over the issues that concern them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by lofarl »

Having just been made a reserve recently this may be a issue for me when I get back from holiday. So giving the agreement sets out 1 in 4 Sat for the majority including reserves. Is there a criteria for being placed in the minimum? Is it binding that you are entitled to 1 in 4 if you want them? I've heard this before, if you want it they have to oblige. Is this true?
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by bigcol »

If they won't give it to you they have to come up with a good reason, which they can't.

Being incompetent at doing rotas and favouritism aren't good reasons.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by miles_peters »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
miles_peters wrote: the union need to step up and end this utterly vile criminal and despicable treatment of royal mail reserves.
As the members are the Union and effectively are what makes a work place strong or weak, could I ask what steps you and your colleagues are taking to address the situation. The Union can do a lot behind the scenes, but it ultimately can do nothing if the members themsleves are not prepared to make a stand over the issues that concern them.
I myself have made a stand many times, but have been shouted down, threatened or just lied too. in my position I have to goto different offices, however these offices have different work patterns to my own office, communication from the managers at these other offices and the treatment I receive is a disgrace. ive come so close to losing my temper so many times through the utter frustration. I find myself in a position where I feel there's is no support whatsoever for my situation. ive spoken to union reps to get this resolved many times over many years and nothing, not one thing has changed. I feel like the union no longer have my back or care for my concerns, as I said in a previous post the union don't seem to have a clear understanding of what a reserves rights are, only recently I had 2 union reps giving me different advice, and leaving it at just that, no one came back to me with the correct answers to my issues. ive worked for RM for 12 years. RM managers need to realise that all the changes they make impact most on the reserves and union reps need to make time for members, listen to what they have to say and to get the problems solved, not just sweep it under the carpet and forget about it.
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by jack »

janitor wrote:Don't know how long you have been with RM but you will soon notice , they treat everyone like s**t not just the reserves. The same types of threats and bullying are used against walk holders, new and longer serving members alike. Though must admit a lot does depend on how strong the union are, in your particular office.
I can only speak from what I see in our office and reserves are basically treated like shite more so than walk holders, some of these folk have 10/11 years in and were duty holders once upon a time but have found themselves back as reserves due to the last revision. The union did say that every reserve would get their 1 in 4 at the time, but you are lucky if you get 2 Saturdays off in one year and people are getting pissed of with it. The union are trying to get things sorted but don't seem to hold any sway over anything, royal mail seem to be the one that has the upper hand :no no
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by P739 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
miles_peters wrote: the union need to step up and end this utterly vile criminal and despicable treatment of royal mail reserves.
As the members are the Union and effectively are what makes a work place strong or weak, could I ask what steps you and your colleagues are taking to address the situation. The Union can do a lot behind the scenes, but it ultimately can do nothing if the members themsleves are not prepared to make a stand over the issues that concern them.
Spoke to my Union rep after I had brought the subject up with my DOM....Union rep get's back to me YOU DON'T HAVE A CASE...which I replied sorry but I think I have and I want this taken further..Raised a grievance it was heard the outcome was and I have a copy of the meeting WHICH SAID THAT THEY WOULD IMPLEMENT IT INTO THE NEXT OFFICE REVIEW .Which has came and gone and guess what still no 1-6 Saturdays off...taking the piss or what?..So looks like it will need to be raised again
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by oldrope »

Get over it!!! I work in a MC and my duty is Tuesday to Saturday,days off are Sunday and Monday.rant over
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Sold down the river by the union

Post by P739 »

oldrope wrote:Get over it!!! I work in a MC and my duty is Tuesday to Saturday,days off are Sunday and Monday.rant over
:wave