Cheltenham postman to ride from Land's End to John O'Groats to raise money for Diabetes UK
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
For Stephen Moore, putting his foot to the pedal is nothing compared to what his brother Tim goes through.
Tim, 47, from Up Hatherley, has been battling Type 1 diabetes for more than 30 years.
He will be returning to dialysis this week after his replacement kidney failed.
Tim was diagnosed with diabetes when he was just seven.
In 2006, Tim received kidney and pancreas transplants, helping him recover from the condition.
But earlier this year, doctors told him the kidney is starting to deteriorate, and would need a new one soon. He has since been put back on the waiting list.
The brothers lost their mum, Mary Moore, three years ago after complications with Type 2 diabetes.
Tim’s younger brother Stephen will be cycling from Lands End to John O’Groats next month to raise money for diabetes UK.
Spurred on by his brother, he will start on August 17 and will aim to finish the 900-mile journey in 20 days.
Stephen, a postman from Up Hatherley, said: “I will be thinking about both of them during the journey.
“When I’m going uphill, and maybe struggling a bit, I will remember it is nothing compared to what mum and Tim had to go through.
“Climbing a hill on a bike is nowhere as tough as having to deal to diabetes.
“It was great when Tim managed to get the transplants, but the news earlier this year was not so great.
“We were gutted for him, it’s tough. It’s hard for the family, but he is quite an upbeat person, and he doesn’t let it get him down.”
Tim is now on water treatment tablets to help him get better, but will have to wait for a new kidney if he is to recover.
And although Tim will not be able to make the journey, Stephen is sure his brother will be cheering him on.
“I’m not much of a cyclist,” Stephen said.
“I think I only started cycling again some five to six weeks ago, so I’m not great when it comes to cycling.
“I got managed to get some equipment to get started, and am just pedalling away.
“I’m looking forward to it I think. It will be tough, but I’m sure we will be able to get through it.”
He hopes to raise at least £5,000 for the charity before he finishes in September.
To donate to his cause, go to justgiving.com/stephen-moore10.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Cheltenham postman to ride from Land's End to John O'Groats
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Cheltenham postman to ride from Land's End to John O'Groats
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.