ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

recorded delivery, whats the point

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by SpacePhoenix »

villan wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
It may be proof because the managers have access to a program that reads the GPS log of each scan.
Do you know if the GPS log still works if the PDA comms are suspended when the scan takes place? (i.e. you see OFF in the top left hand corner of the screen instead of OK)

My PDA often loses comms during my delivery. Sometimes the comms stay off until I get back to the office, even though I try to resume them.
The PDAs will often suspend comms once the battery gets down to around 10%
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by Darren Bent »

I think we need to make it easier for the public/ebayers to send things tracked and then recorded delivery will die. I am not a fan of recorded delivery.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Darren Bent wrote:I think we need to make it easier for the public/ebayers to send things tracked and then recorded delivery will die. I am not a fan of recorded delivery.
They'll probably still be just as much that will need signing for as they'll probably go for the Tracked signature option. RM would need to introduce a better way of handling Tracked in MCs as the PDAs barely cope now
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by wannabeek »

A guy (neighbour of addressee) signed for a small recorded packet today and when I told him I'd pop back over there and put a note through the neighbour's door telling them where to pick it up, he said, 'don't bother - I'll just go over and put it through their letterbox now'.

I said, 'please don't - it'll look like I signed for it and posted it through.'

'Well, why didn't you?', he asks. I said, ''Because Royal Mail management think that we're all bent and they trust you to sign for something but not me.'

He thought I was joking, so sad that it's true.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by datasaint »

wannabeek wrote:A guy (neighbour of addressee) signed for a small recorded packet today and when I told him I'd pop back over there and put a note through the neighbour's door telling them where to pick it up, he said, 'don't bother - I'll just go over and put it through their letterbox now'.
This makes no sense. If you've obtained a signature what's wrong with posting it? The item is secure that's what matters.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by wannabeek »

Like I said, because it would look to the householder like I'd signed for it - how would they know that a neighbour had posted it through the door and not me. The sad fact is that he, an unchecked local resident, is allowed by RM to sign for the item and take responsibility for it's security. However I, as a fully police-checked etc. employee with a proven history of taking such responsibilities, am not allowed to do the same. Have you had nobody in your office hauled over the coals for signing for an item themselves and posting it? It's not gonna happen to me.
A2B
Posts: 2034
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by A2B »

If a neighbour signs for a recorded and it will fit through the recipients door i will post it through along with a 739 saying which neighbour signed for it
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Tracked only costs about 40p to businesses yet they are treated like specials. And take more time when 739'd. Also I guess they are more valuable or time sensitive yet we can leave them in a safe place unlike other parcels :arrrghhh
Recorded is vital for ebayers and some people think they are signing for something great and it must be a secure service!
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by ganda »

By RM's own standard recorded deliverys should not be left with a neighbour.
proof of delivery including a signature from the receiver
http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatc ... -1st-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by bigcol »

ganda wrote:By RM's own standard recorded deliverys should not be left with a neighbour.
proof of delivery including a signature from the receiver
http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatc ... -1st-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is the neighbour.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by 2pints »

If recorded delivery went royal mail would lose alot of money.So no,it is not pointless.Anything that makes royal mail money is great in my opinion,i would rather that than have them losing money,better job security.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by datasaint »

2pints wrote:If recorded delivery went royal mail would lose alot of money.So no,it is not pointless.Anything that makes royal mail money is great in my opinion,i would rather that than have them losing money,better job security.
It's not great though. I suspect if you polled people who had to trek down to the delivery office to pick up a RD letter/small jiffy they would say they don't want the hassle. Therefore if you invent a service that suits sender + receiver = more business long run, which doesn't end up in the hands of competitors.
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by ganda »

bigcol wrote:
ganda wrote:By RM's own standard recorded deliverys should not be left with a neighbour.
proof of delivery including a signature from the receiver
http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatc ... -1st-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is the neighbour.
The receiver should be the person or persons at the stated address. They pay for a signature for a reason, added security. The sender paid for a signature, the agreement is with the sender not the recipient, just because he/she doesn't want to collect from the callers if he/she is not in.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by clashcityrocker »

ganda wrote:
bigcol wrote:
ganda wrote:By RM's own standard recorded deliverys should not be left with a neighbour.
proof of delivery including a signature from the receiver
http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatc ... -1st-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which is the neighbour.
The receiver should be the person or persons at the stated address.
That is just your opinion. Nowhere does it say that.
And even if that person is at the address who cares if it is the partner, a child, a flatmate or the plumber who has come round to fix a leaky tap?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: recorded delivery, whats the point

Post by BernardBresslaw »

The new deliver 2 neighbours scheme clearly says that recorded delivery can be left with a neighbour so that takes priority. Only Specials can't now.