ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Well I used to be a smoker until more than 10 years ago when I had a stroke and would strenuously advise any smoker to seriously attempt to give it up and can honestly say it is NOT as difficult as it may seem - I smoked for nigh on 40 years, it took 5 weeks with patches as support and I have never smoked since. Do I feel better for it, well not ostensibly but health wise you are supposed to. Am I financially better off, well I wouldn't say I am but obviously you have money to spend on other things.
But I digress, any time spent smoking should be deducted from any break time. When out on delivery you can smoke either on the move or a quick fag break. Whilst I was a smoker there was often the misconception it was a "quick" smoke but in reality it can turn into 10/15 minutes when there's a group or whilst thinking something through and one fag can quickly turn into 2. If there is the necessity for smoke breaks it should just be a break for everyone - if you choose to smoke so be it if you wish to do something else that's fine but I am of the opinion that there should NOT be any special treatment because you smoke.
But I digress, any time spent smoking should be deducted from any break time. When out on delivery you can smoke either on the move or a quick fag break. Whilst I was a smoker there was often the misconception it was a "quick" smoke but in reality it can turn into 10/15 minutes when there's a group or whilst thinking something through and one fag can quickly turn into 2. If there is the necessity for smoke breaks it should just be a break for everyone - if you choose to smoke so be it if you wish to do something else that's fine but I am of the opinion that there should NOT be any special treatment because you smoke.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
i would say no, the manager can stop unauthorised smoke breaks during the working day, but cannot stop or amend your official break time lengths. Any absence from your designated duty will be dealt with as unofficial absence as to the conduct code.
Those break times will be an express term in your contract of employment. If he instigated such a policy then that will be a fundemental breach of your contract of employment
Those break times will be an express term in your contract of employment. If he instigated such a policy then that will be a fundemental breach of your contract of employment
Last edited by gluteus maximus on 05 Jul 2014, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.
-
VforVendetta
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 05 Oct 2013, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Another great way to 'divide and rule'. I see it all the time. To get bitter unhappy workers to rant 'why should we when they do such and such'. It's a way of breaking up comradeship and unionism from the inside and I have never and will never have any part in it. People have half the workload I have, well good luck to them. People go out for a cigarette or go up to make cups of tea, is fine with me.
I am not a manager, I am a postman and my principles are solidarity with my work colleagues. I let managers get on with that stuff, that's what they are paid for.
Yes I think they can do this with the grace breaks. I don't agree with it and don't like being treated like a slave but then that's the way this job is going. Please do not add to it by whining and bleating. Stick together, it is all we may have within the next few years.
I am not a manager, I am a postman and my principles are solidarity with my work colleagues. I let managers get on with that stuff, that's what they are paid for.
Yes I think they can do this with the grace breaks. I don't agree with it and don't like being treated like a slave but then that's the way this job is going. Please do not add to it by whining and bleating. Stick together, it is all we may have within the next few years.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
I have worked with smokers who smoke while in the van so I have no sympathy. They put a stop to people going for a smoke in our office as generally they went off for a smoke just as we were called to go onto the IPS. Did it to themselves really.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Passing those on the way to the bog no doubt.micksurrey wrote:I have worked with smokers who smoke while in the van so I have no sympathy. They put a stop to people going for a smoke in our office as generally they went off for a smoke just as we were called to go onto the IPS. .
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Bitter thread this....
The general although unwritten rule used to be that you could have a smoke break if a) It didn't affect others (no f***ing off during IPS etc) and b) It didn't cost the business anything ( no booking 20 minutes overtime if you've had 20 mins of smoke breaks etc). As long as nobody took the piss it usually worked ok.
It was a more civilised world back then and still is at our place but officially it's a fight you're unlikely to win.
The general although unwritten rule used to be that you could have a smoke break if a) It didn't affect others (no f***ing off during IPS etc) and b) It didn't cost the business anything ( no booking 20 minutes overtime if you've had 20 mins of smoke breaks etc). As long as nobody took the piss it usually worked ok.
It was a more civilised world back then and still is at our place but officially it's a fight you're unlikely to win.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
You know reading this thread I find that some of us are our own worse enemy.
Let managers sort this out, this is what they are paid for.
Let managers sort this out, this is what they are paid for.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Well apparently when they do try to sort it out it doesn't sit too well with those it affects, hence this threadkrussel wrote:You know reading this thread I find that some of us are our own worse enemy.![]()
Let managers sort this out, this is what they are paid for.
-
redheadedwoman
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 14:58
- Gender: Female
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Only allowed a fag at our Mail Centre when its break time and most people abide by this.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
My manager better hope not.
They have about 10 to 15 a day, for up to 10 minutes at a time.
But then, that wouldn't count, would it?
They have about 10 to 15 a day, for up to 10 minutes at a time.
But then, that wouldn't count, would it?
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
Smokers are allowed a fag but it comes out of their meal relief at my office and they seem content with that.
-
Mezza
- Posts: 405
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
- Location: West London
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
And still everyone misses the whole point of this thread........
If your on delivery and smoke then taking a few minutes here and there for a smoke that has to come off your meal allowance isn't really an issue.
If your out on delivery you can smoke yourself stupid and nobody will know that all those fags should have come off your meal allowance.
I'm indoor staff - i have a 1.30 delivery within my duty, but for the rest of my shift i'm indoors. If i take 5 mins per fag off my meal allowance i end up with no meal break. Ok perhaps that seems fair,especially to a non smoker. But why should a smoker on delivery have the opportunity to have more fags than me and still claim most of their meal allowance when i can't?
And for the countless people that say smokers should just quit, why should smokers be allowed to skive etc etc etc.
In the same way us smokers could quit, you could start smoking, but it's still not what this thread was about in the first place, a fact about 90% of posters seem to have ignored !
If your on delivery and smoke then taking a few minutes here and there for a smoke that has to come off your meal allowance isn't really an issue.
If your out on delivery you can smoke yourself stupid and nobody will know that all those fags should have come off your meal allowance.
I'm indoor staff - i have a 1.30 delivery within my duty, but for the rest of my shift i'm indoors. If i take 5 mins per fag off my meal allowance i end up with no meal break. Ok perhaps that seems fair,especially to a non smoker. But why should a smoker on delivery have the opportunity to have more fags than me and still claim most of their meal allowance when i can't?
And for the countless people that say smokers should just quit, why should smokers be allowed to skive etc etc etc.
In the same way us smokers could quit, you could start smoking, but it's still not what this thread was about in the first place, a fact about 90% of posters seem to have ignored !
-
janitor
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 689
- Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
In my old office managers turned a blind eye to smoking breaks, as long as it didn't impact on the job to much, the only time we had an issue was with one person taking the total piss, then managers timed his smoking breaks and deducted it off his overtime at the end of the week, they timed his smoking breaks to an hour a day, so that's what they deducted from his OT. Think he spent more time in the smoking shed than he did in the office, which wasn't good when he was covering the callers or security locker.
-
hotfudge
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: in the grasp of satan (RMG)
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
i don't begrudge people taking the ODD fag break. it is the ones that are out there on the hour, every hour that get my back up. 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Smoke breaks to come off meal allowance?
1. Because people should be working all their paid hours, so they can't make a rule based on people not working all their paid hours.Mezza wrote:But if i have to work 8 hrs a day (5-6 of which are indoors) when others are doing about 6 hrs work a day, why shouldn't i be allowed the odd smoke when i'm not busy?
2. Smoking within RM premises is illegal now so again they can't make a ruling about an act which isn't allowed. Even if you went off site to do it, they still can't officially recognise it.
3. There is no statutory right to a smoking break, so no-one should "expect" to be allowed one.
I'll be frank, was there a point to the thread. You were either looking for support that it was unfair you couldn't take an occasional smoking break, some gave you that support. Or you were looking for a loophole or an agreement that allowed you to take smoking breaks - there isn't any.Mezza wrote:And still everyone misses the whole point of this thread........
Is it fair that people are not working all their hours, of course its unfair, but you shouldn't expect to take extra breaks based on others actions when they are outside of agreements. You could of course do exactly what they do, take unofficial breaks, and go home early, but you would be risking the same consequences but with a greater possibility of being caught.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.